The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-17-2020, 04:38 AM

Default epiphone es339

Lots of great replies here. One of your concerns was about tuning stability.

The main problem with double sided angled headstocks is very rarely the tuners but the angle the strings make going through the nut slots. It’s an inherent design flaw which is mitigated somewhat in guitars with less extreme break angles, such as Seagull, PRS, etc. The slots are often just the right size for the recommended string gauge - but only just! When tuning up it you hear a ping it’s the string “binding” in the slot and then releasing. Imagine it not releasing when tuning, then it means the string is tighter above the nut (tuner side) than below. If when playing and bending a string suddenly the tuning is flat it means that string bending has loosened the string in the nut.

Sometimes they need a bit of nut filing to widen the slut slightly. Another alternative is to lubricate the nut slots when changing strings - Nut Sauce is one product that I’ve seen recommended (I’ve used another brand in Sweden but it does the same job).

So, try the 339 before you buy if you can but in all honesty I wouldn’t let tuning instability put me off if everything else about the guitar was fine - any potential tuning issues can usually be addressed with a little care and attention and won’t break the bank.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-12-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
Anyone own one?

Does it have tuning problem like a les Paul ?

Thinking of buying one

Thanks for your replys

David
I've had one for 5 years, everything was perfect on it except the intonation which be me off from playing it for 4.5 years it sat in the case, I did try to adjust it but failed finally about two weeks ago I Googled how to adjust it, and bam! It's fantastic guitar now, after I. Changed the original strings last weekend to 12-52 flats Thomas-Infields and did a final intonation adjust just to make sure everything settled in right, it is now my number one and has opened the doors for me to pickup a full hollow body.. Maybe a Gretsch 5420, I've finally put away acoustics for now, I just couldn't get the tone I wanted from a one tone box...
Old 08-12-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I've had one for 5 years, everything was perfect on it except the intonation which be me off from playing it for 4.5 years it sat in the case, I did try to adjust it but failed finally about two weeks ago I Googled how to adjust it, and bam! It's fantastic guitar now, after I. Changed the original strings last weekend to 12-52 flats Thomas-Infields and did a final intonation adjust just to make sure everything settled in right, it is now my number one and has opened the doors for me to pickup a full hollow body.. Maybe a Gretsch 5420, I've finally put away acoustics for now, I just couldn't get the tone I wanted from a one tone box...
A setup can do amazing things. The intonation on a TOM (tune-o-matic) style bridge is just to slide the saddle forward or backwards. Is that all you needed? Glad to hear that your 339 is out of the case and in your hands!
Old 08-12-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
A setup can do amazing things. The intonation on a TOM (tune-o-matic) style bridge is just to slide the saddle forward or backwards. Is that all you needed? Glad to hear that your 339 is out of the case and in your hands!
Yep that's all it needed,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars