The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-05-2020, 05:23 PM

Default Line 6 Pod Go sample.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIwh...IWLo9ymrHOaYec
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 08-05-2020, 06:53 PM

I bought one and sent it back. I prefer the KISS method. Too much dancing for me to use for live gigs. Good sounds though - especially the distortions.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-05-2020, 11:56 PM

I agree that the pedals are a but much trying to find the sound you want, HOWEVER, If you hook it up to a computer and use the free editing software, it's a breeze locating sounds or effects. Great for studio use. For live use, you'd have to set up the user presets to be able to quickly jump to your desired sound. It does take a bit of study and practice, but once you get it figured out it's a breeze.

In my case, it's replacing a bunch of expensive foot pedals, and really gives a clean look. The effects I've tried are awesome. I'm keeping mine.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-06-2020, 12:38 AM

Been considering either a Line 6 Helix LT or a Boss GT-1000, but I’m wondering if it’s overkill for my first foray into electric guitars.

Looking at the video though, these type of units seem incredibly versatile.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-06-2020, 04:39 AM

I had a GT 1000 an took it back because it was too expensive for what it did. I went to buy the LT a few months ago and the salesman suggested I wait for the Pod Go that was coming out soon.....that turned out to be good advice....Pod Go for bang for the buck......
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-06-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Been considering either a Line 6 Helix LT or a Boss GT-1000, but I’m wondering if it’s overkill for my first foray into electric guitars.

Looking at the video though, these type of units seem incredibly versatile.
Just my opinion (my .02, YMMV & all that) - I would hold off. A good tube amp or tube/ss hybrid would be my personal recommendation for a starting rig.

The modeling stuff offers nearly infinite tweakability. You can spend a lot of time dialing in sounds instead of just playing - in other words, it can be a distraction for some and I definitely prefer something closer to plug 'n play. A good 2 channel amp with reverb will take you a LONG way. I need effects because we gig out and play everything from Adele to AC/DC and I need to be able to dial in a variety of tones and textures.

If you want something of a "starter" effects pedal, the cheaper zoom stuff has proven reliable for me and use batteries rather the the floor cluttering "wall warts" that most units require. Just something to consider.

The Pod Go is extremely well made though and I would it expect it to last a long time.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 08-06-2020, 09:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I bought one and sent it back. I prefer the KISS method. Too much dancing for me to use for live gigs. Good sounds though - especially the distortions.
I've got the Helix and use it for studio work.

What modeling brings to my world is reasonable sound pressure levels for both recording and practice. As a recording engineer/producer I can't afford to irradiate my ears with loud guitar amps.

I don't like tap dancing either. Here's my secret: Most of my work is done on two (2) amp models. I basically have four presets that do the majority of my work: Fender Deluxe jazz clean, Fender Deluxe crunch, Fender Deluxe lead, Marshall 50 watt trem rhythm/lead. I use the guitar volume and tone controls for a lot of my tone shaping and I have my "special sauce" added to these presets to bring them alive. The presets also give me access to four loaded effects on foot switches: compressor, drive, delay, and reverb. When my sounds go down to "tape" they rarely need EQ because, as a recording engineer, I am always thinking of guitar as a component within a total mix. One thing I do assiduously is choose cabinet and mic models that give me the sound I want. Franky, I often play the modeler through a guitar amp with the modeler's cab model switched off to get my cab sound naturally.

A lot of the amp and effects models are superfluous to me unless the client calls for something different. I have run through them and checked them out.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-06-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I had a GT 1000 an took it back because it was too expensive for what it did. I went to buy the LT a few months ago and the salesman suggested I wait for the Pod Go that was coming out soon.....that turned out to be good advice....Pod Go for bang for the buck......
Aren’t the gt 1000 and helix LT fairly similar and competing products? Just curious what you thought would be different/better about the helix Lt?
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-06-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Just my opinion (my .02, YMMV & all that) - I would hold off. A good tube amp or tube/ss hybrid would be my personal recommendation for a starting rig.

The modeling stuff offers nearly infinite tweakability. You can spend a lot of time dialing in sounds instead of just playing - in other words, it can be a distraction for some and I definitely prefer something closer to plug 'n play. A good 2 channel amp with reverb will take you a LONG way. I need effects because we gig out and play everything from Adele to AC/DC and I need to be able to dial in a variety of tones and textures.

If you want something of a "starter" effects pedal, the cheaper zoom stuff has proven reliable for me and use batteries rather the the floor cluttering "wall warts" that most units require. Just something to consider.

The Pod Go is extremely well made though and I would it expect it to last a long time.
I appreciate your thoughts. I guess I was thinking modeller right from the get go because I would like to have complete versatility moving forward to get the tones I want/need for a particular song etc...Despite not necessarily needing that capability right up front.

Nothing’s for sure yet. I appreciate what you are saying.

Any thoughts on Boss Katana or similar? From what I gather you can get some pretty decent tones out of them with relative simplicity, and without having to do heavy tweaking (unless you want to).
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-06-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your thoughts. I guess I was thinking modeller right from the get go because I would like to have complete versatility moving forward to get the tones I want/need for a particular song etc...Despite not necessarily needing that capability right up front.

Nothing’s for sure yet. I appreciate what you are saying.

Any thoughts on Boss Katana or similar? From what I gather you can get some pretty decent tones out of them with relative simplicity, and without having to do heavy tweaking (unless you want to).
I don't own a Katana, but I have played through one.

Pros:
Very light
Sounds good both quiet and is quite loud too
Lots of programmable options including pedals

Cons:
Lots of fiddling to get good tones with effects
I found the clean tones sterile and lacking warmth
Lots of programmable options including pedals

IMO, the Blackstar id core stuff looks much more like a plug and play option. Light and not expensive either.

Ease of use and great tone are a must for me, but I can understand the value of modelers

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 08-06-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Aren’t the gt 1000 and helix LT fairly similar and competing products? Just curious what you thought would be different/better about the helix Lt?
well the Helix is about a $1500 unit vrs the $899 for the boss and the LT is a light version of the Helix for about $1100. I figured the Helix to be the top dog. Then the Pod Go came out which has similar sounds to the Helix, and it seemed like a no brainer. After playing around with the Pod Go for a while, I'm happy with it...
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-06-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
well the Helix is about a $1500 unit vrs the $899 for the boss and the LT is a light version of the Helix for about $1100. I figured the Helix to be the top dog. Then the Pod Go came out which has similar sounds to the Helix, and it seemed like a no brainer. After playing around with the Pod Go for a while, I'm happy with it...
Watched a few vids on the pod go...looks pretty great for sure...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-07-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I've got the Helix and use it for studio work.

What modeling brings to my world is reasonable sound pressure levels for both recording and practice. As a recording engineer/producer I can't afford to irradiate my ears with loud guitar amps.

I don't like tap dancing either. Here's my secret: Most of my work is done on two (2) amp models. I basically have four presets that do the majority of my work: Fender Deluxe jazz clean, Fender Deluxe crunch, Fender Deluxe lead, Marshall 50 watt trem rhythm/lead. I use the guitar volume and tone controls for a lot of my tone shaping and I have my "special sauce" added to these presets to bring them alive. The presets also give me access to four loaded effects on foot switches: compressor, drive, delay, and reverb. When my sounds go down to "tape" they rarely need EQ because, as a recording engineer, I am always thinking of guitar as a component within a total mix. One thing I do assiduously is choose cabinet and mic models that give me the sound I want. Franky, I often play the modeler through a guitar amp with the modeler's cab model switched off to get my cab sound naturally.

A lot of the amp and effects models are superfluous to me unless the client calls for something different. I have run through them and checked them out.

Bob
I really think this is the secret (or at least the remarkably useful way to to about things that many ignore). While trying to use all the features can be fun for an adventurer or new electric player wishing to play the field while they form up some sense of what amp type works for them, those of us who have found some sounds that work for us can get a lot of use out 1-3 patches on one of these things.

There's something about the human mind (or some of us, some of the time) that can't help but think "I've got to use all that stuff" and it's corollary "I don't need all that stuff, just give me a good clean, crunch and overdrive." when you don't have to use what you don't need.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-07-2020, 02:11 PM

There's a lot more than 2-3 presets that work for me in the Pod Go....It's loaded with effects that sound great, there's many blank presets that can be programed to your liking, it replaces many expensive pedals, and does it all in one neat package vrs pedal boards from hell.....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars