The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-04-2020, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Ok, so the Gretsch arrived - lovely guitar, TV Jones, the Blacktops are included in the case pocket. Obligatory NGD pics at the bottom of the post

But its a 5122, not a 5422. I don't know enough about Electro Gretschs to know if this matters. The seller listed it as a 5422T from 2010, and I suppose a more knowledgable person would know that (maybe?) 5422s were not made then?

It is Korean, has Jones pickups, in great shape, has the more modern Gretsch fretboard makers, but the bigger headstock.

Anyone know the difference between 5122 and 5422? I think bound F holes, quality of the original pickups, smaller headstock, but not sure what else.

I contacted the seller to alert him to the discrepancy. I'm sure he knew what he was doing, the label and purchase receipt in the pocket both show the actual model number.

UPDATE: Seller agreed to a small partial refund for the discrepancy. All good.

z0gpgofhdnxsglpqaaul by steveandlisa123, on Flickr

ylc3f37cfpdzc16yez9f by steveandlisa123, on Flickr
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

Last edited by stevecuss; 08-04-2020 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:46 AM

The 5122 is an earlier iteration - also Korean-made, but originally equipped with the first-generation Broad'tron-style pickups currently used on the Streamliner series - whereas the 5422 was introduced in 2012 TMK; don't recall if they were made in the same factory (look for a KS prefix on the serial number) but they were decent-quality instruments, although IMO the post-2016 examples are the ones that really knocked it out of the park, in terms of both classic Gretsch visuals and overall quality. Those TV Jones PU's are a worthwhile upgrade, but I suspect (as you did) that the seller knew exactly what he was doing when he advertised it as a 5422; this is clearly someone who knows something about Gretsch - and knows how to play the hardware game (what I said above about "Falconizing" a white/gold 5420 - and FYI Sweetwater has an exclusive " '59" E-Matic that's a near dead-ringer for the far-costlier Pro Series 6120) - and you were 100% right to request a partial refund if he was a private seller (if this was a retailer I would've sent it back immediately)...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 08-06-2020, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The 5122 is an earlier iteration - also Korean-made, but originally equipped with the first-generation Broad'tron-style pickups currently used on the Streamliner series - whereas the 5422 was introduced in 2012 TMK; don't recall if they were made in the same factory (look for a KS prefix on the serial number) but they were decent-quality instruments, although IMO the post-2016 examples are the ones that really knocked it out of the park, in terms of both classic Gretsch visuals and overall quality. Those TV Jones PU's are a worthwhile upgrade, but I suspect (as you did) that the seller knew exactly what he was doing when he advertised it as a 5422; this is clearly someone who knows something about Gretsch - and knows how to play the hardware game (what I said above about "Falconizing" a white/gold 5420 - and FYI Sweetwater has an exclusive " '59" E-Matic that's a near dead-ringer for the far-costlier Pro Series 6120) - and you were 100% right to request a partial refund if he was a private seller (if this was a retailer I would've sent it back immediately)...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Thanks Steve - the black Gretsch I bought for the Christmas gigs was one of those post 2016 Korean models and actually it was thanks to your guidance on the MYRIAD of Gretsch models.

This one is a couple of steps down visually, but of course with the Jones pickups, it sounds and plays gloriously. Well worth the hassle to be back into a Gretsch.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars