The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-19-2020, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
70s Southern rock? Yeah, I did that...

That's me on the right with my ES335; still have it. The other guitar player was playing an SG. The bass player has a Precision. Pretty much the standard back then.

I think this image was from 1975.
That looks fun ... I could play a D chord in 1975 ...

-Mike
Old 07-19-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'm sitting watching a BBC compilation of US Southern Rock bands from the '70s - you know those guys, Ozarks, Black Oak, Allmans, Dickey Betts etc.

I'm looking at all these skinny beardy, long haired guys in tight pants, western hats, & boots etc., but there's another thing that they all seem to have in common :
Standard issue : 1x sunburst Strat, 1 x Les Paul (options: black, burst or gold top), and 1x Fender Precision. That's it!

Did they issue these guitars at the door?

Notable exceptions - two or three ES335s, 1 x SG, and Johnny Winters playing a red Gibson firebird.

Great music! I bought those albums, but was still riding a drumkit then.
I don’t think there was anything specific to Southern rock. Pretty much all professional electric rock guitarists played Fenders and Gibsons.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:09 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
By the way, if you had looked off to camera left here you would have seen a Rickenbacker 4001 in Jetglo Black. Our bassist loved Chris Squire and Randy Meisner, both of whom played Ricks at the time.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-19-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
By the way, if you had looked off to camera left here you would have seen a Rickenbacker 4001 in Jetglo Black. Our bassist loved Chris Squire and Randy Meisner, both of whom played Ricks at the time.

Bob
Well, on camera to the lower side I see those bell bottom jeans you are wearing Bob.
I remember those days...
Old 07-23-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

''Everybody's got them bell bottom pants

If you ain't got the pants, you ain't got a chance''

Louden Wainwright
Old 07-23-2020, 09:41 AM

Back then, especially into the first half of the 70s, there really wasn't a lot around to chose from and this was before these companies made it impossible to be a dealer, so they were pretty much EVERYWHERE.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:09 AM

I remember growing up my brother loved Lynard Skynard and Molly Hatchet and this was in Connecticut and I was like whats wrong with you bro?

One of my favorite guitarists Shawn Lane played for Black Oak Arkansas when he was 14 years old!
Old 07-24-2020, 09:39 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I remember growing up my brother loved Lynard Skynard and Molly Hatchet and this was in Connecticut and I was like whats wrong with you bro?
New York had/has a HUGE Allman Brothers Band following. My wife is originally from Long Island but the family moved to New Jersey. The first time I visited in 1979 she took me up into the Wachung Mountains, you know, where George Washington had his Middlebrook encampments and his lookout over the Hudson. We visited his lookout point and I was surprised to encounter New Jersey rednecks (I checked the car license plates) in the parking lot with southern rock blaring from their car radios. Made me feel all at home, you know?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-24-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
New York had/has a HUGE Allman Brothers Band following. My wife is originally from Long Island but the family moved to New Jersey. The first time I visited in 1979 she took me up into the Wachung Mountains, you know, where George Washington had his Middlebrook encampments and his lookout over the Hudson. We visited his lookout point and I was surprised to encounter New Jersey rednecks (I checked the car license plates) in the parking lot with southern rock blaring from their car radios. Made me feel all at home, you know?

Bob
Hahahah. Yup. And there were plenty of Connecticut rednecks too. They jsut talk differently.

I've come to appreciate Skynard. A solid rock band for sure.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:48 PM

My buddy's Southern Comfort Les Paul Special.

I always thought this guitar should be played in a Southern Rock band.

(Come to think of it, it is...)

Old 07-27-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Notable exceptions - two or three ES335s, 1 x SG, and Johnny Winters playing a red Gibson firebird.
I don't think Johnny Winter belongs on the list. I see him as more of a Texas blues-rocker than a Southern Rocker. Two different things, IMO.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:00 AM

Default Is that you in "Slow Hand"?

Quote:

Bob
Hey Bob - one of life's coincidences: Last night I was reading "Slow Hand" about Eric Clapton (aka God ) - it's a great read btw - and on page 176, where Eric is brought in to work with Aretha Franklin, there was "a crowd of top session musicians with five guitarists, among whom he recognized the brilliant Joe South, Jimmy Johnson and Bobby Womack" - but that was in 1967, 10 years before your photo in this thread, wouldn't you have been a bit young then?
Or was that your dad?
Old 07-30-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard_k View Post
... but that was in 1967, 10 years before your photo in this thread, wouldn't you have been a bit young then?
Or was that your dad?
Different people altogether. Bobby Womack was a famous musician and singer. Died 6 years ago.

He was also black, and AGF Bob appears to be caucasian.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-30-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Different people altogether. Bobby Womack was a famous musician and singer. Died 6 years ago.

He was also black, and AGF Bob appears to be caucasian.
I truly hope I didn't offend anyone in my ignorance. I'm just recently into guitars, and seeing this not-exactly-common name in the book and again on this forum just struck me.

Btw, and off-topic - I got the Slow Hand book through abebooks.com used book site, they usually have better prices and availability on specialized topics than amazon used (even though amazon bought them out several years ago - gotta keep the monopoly going ).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars