The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-22-2019, 05:12 AM

Default Beginner - Advice for strumming with a thumb pick

Hi Folks,

I'm using a thumb pick, and looking for some advice on how to strum properly.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:00 AM

Hi Dad -

As you may have surmised, thumbpicks can be used to strum, but they would not be a first choice. If you do intend to strum with a thumbpick, it needs to have a short blade and you need a light touch. I can do it, but it doesn't sound as clear as a flatpick - you can't vary the angle of the thumbpick.

IMO, if you wish to strum, put the thumbpick in your pocket and pull out a traditional pick.

best,

Rick

PS - and a belated welcome to the AGF!
Old 10-22-2019, 06:43 AM

I guess I started using the thumb pick because I like the sound of fingerstyle and thought maybe I should start with that. But maybe the idea should just be learning with a traditional pick and evolving to other styles after a good foundation is built.

Oh and I think I posted this in the wrong spot on this forum. Sorry.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:57 AM

I’m a returning noob who loves fingerstyle. I’m splitting my practice 70/30 (rough guess) strumming/fingerstyle. My emphasis this time around is learning songs and strumming is for me way easier for that. As I hopefully move into intermediate status I plan to up the percentage of time I devote to fingerstyle but there’s always room to just strum some chords.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 10-22-2019, 07:32 AM

I traveled the same road that you are starting on. If I were starting again, I would recommend a few things.
  • Go one way or the other. If you go flatpick, there are some great video lessons on justinguitar.com and a great series, "Flatpicking Essentials" on www.flatpick.com.
  • If you go fingerstyle, your thumb and your rhythm are all important. Toby Walker littletobywalker.comhas some great lessons as does Homespun www.homespun.com
  • I would take a few basic lessons - you might want to ask for recommendations on AGF in case someone is near your area.
  • I would work on a few songs that I really like
  • I'll say it again - your rhythm is all important. If you can strum to a groove and pick up a few patterns, you are probably well over 50% 'there'
  • I would try not to get frustrated because it won't happen overnight!

Early on, I recorded myself and listening to that now, I am amazed at how far I have come (started 13 years ago at age 53). The live lessons I took probably moved the needle more than anything; there's something about playing with another person that just propels you forward. So if you can find a playing buddy, all the better.

Good luck on the journey. There's plenty of advice and encouragement to be found here - we were all beginners at one time. And, this is the proper section - Play and Write. No biggie.

best,

Rick

Last edited by srick; 10-22-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:34 AM

I tried to learn with a thumpick early on, but gave up as i couldn't control it well enough not to hit strings too hard unintentionally. I will say that it helps to file the pick part down to a smaller, rounder point.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfThree View Post
I guess I started using the thumb pick because I like the sound of fingerstyle and thought maybe I should start with that. But maybe the idea should just be learning with a traditional pick and evolving to other styles after a good foundation is built.
Hi D-o-3

There are hybrid 'thumbpicks' which are basically a thin pick attached to a holder wrapped around the thumb (Fred Kelly). But those do not give a good 'thunk' for the bass, while they are pretty good for strumming. There are Kelly picks which are thin, and thinner, and not quite conventional, and a lot of guys like them. Cheap experiment to try.

There is no need to use the thumbpick itself to strum with. Actually, there is no need for a thumbpick for playing fingerstyle.

Here is a video I did for students/friends a bunch-o-years back on three ways to strum without a pick. I'm a full-time finger picker.

These are not the only ways to strum, but three which are effective for me or others who do not use thumbpick who mix fingerpicking and strumming in the same songs.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-22-2019, 09:14 AM

The advice here is great thank you.

I think I'll go back to a standard pick and work on learning my chords. I started off experimenting with GuitarTricks.com, JamPlay, then Yousician, but ultimately chose JustinGuitar. I was given a gift certificate for my birthday for a few lessons at a local music shop, so I'll be doing that very soonl.

I kept giving up a few months ago when I couldn't get the strings to stop vibrating when trying to learn chords. A few weeks ago, I ended up picking up a used Classical Guitar for 50 bucks, and now, all of a sudden, I'm making progress. The wider neck is really helping me learn this stuff.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfThree View Post
The advice here is great thank you.

I think I'll go back to a standard pick and work on learning my chords. I started off experimenting with GuitarTricks.com, JamPlay, then Yousician, but ultimately chose JustinGuitar. I was given a gift certificate for my birthday for a few lessons at a local music shop, so I'll be doing that very soonl.

I kept giving up a few months ago when I couldn't get the strings to stop vibrating when trying to learn chords. A few weeks ago, I ended up picking up a used Classical Guitar for 50 bucks, and now, all of a sudden, I'm making progress. The wider neck is really helping me learn this stuff.
Frankly Dadof.. this is a sound decision.

There is nio reason why you shouldn't do both, but don't try to use the tools for one (thumb pick) for the other (plectrum style), and please remember that "strumming" doesn't have to mean randomly or persistently hitting all te strings at once. Think of your "boom-chick"

Old 10-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Off topic, but, I gotta say folks. This has been a really friendly forum without the troll knuckleheads picking on an older beginner with these questions.
I really appreciate you all sharing your knowledge and experience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write