The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 07:47 AM

Question Direct Fit Tuning Machines For Martin

I'm going to be replacing the the tuning machines on my DRS1 with either Gotho, or Grovers. Does anybody know which models of each will be a direct fit? I rather not have to fill the original pilot hole, and drill new one, but I will if necessary. I emailed Stewmac, but have yet to receive a response. Thanks in advance.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 06-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

I think the rotomatics from Grover may be close, but otherwise sta-tites or other waverly style things will have a second hole on the north side of the ream and will require a conversion bushing.

I would maybe suggest looking at the Golden Age restoration tuners with a conversion bushing as they line up pretty much perfectly. I did those on an older 15 series with the same style of 1-hole martin tuners your model has.

Traditional Klusons will also line up nearly perfectly and then need the bushing and the north hole.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sylvia View Post
I'm going to be replacing the the tuning machines on my DRS1 with either Gotho, or Grovers. Does anybody know which models of each will be a direct fit? I rather not have to fill the original pilot hole, and drill new one, but I will if necessary. I emailed Stewmac, but have yet to receive a response. Thanks in advance.
The pics I see show the screw at 6:00, which the Gotoh SGV510's have. Here's Gotoh's web site with the schematic showing the dimensions. These are 18:1, but they also offer 22:1

https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/sgv510.html
Old 06-18-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post
The pics I see show the screw at 6:00, which the Gotoh SGV510's have. Here's Gotoh's web site with the schematic showing the dimensions. These are 18:1, but they also offer 22:1

https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/sgv510.html

Thank you very much!
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion