The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-03-2013, 05:51 PM

I am open to the idea of uninstalling the software, so I would just need the drivers only. I will have to look into this.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Yea Kev Logic in many ways is similar to Pro Tools in how it handles both aux send and returns and external effects. There are some slight differences. Logic requires a "plug-in" to interface with external devices. That of course somewhat different than Pro Tools which requires an i/o to be instantiated on an insert. The Logic i/o plug-in however, once instantiated, acts very similar to Pro Tools i/o.

I think however we've established this with Rick and he (at least in the not to distant past) got that concept under control. If I had to bet, I'd put my money on the somewhat (and the word "somewhat" is being kind) convoluted interim software the Pro-Fire interface uses to interface with Logic.

Rick.....as we discussed before this Pro-Fire software is JUST NOT necessary (especially with the remarkable low latency of Logic). If it were me, and I know it's not , I uninstall it, take the disk out back to the bonfire and.............burn it

Just my two cents
Yes I hope I did not just muck up the water, I guess It just seems relatively straight forward in PT as long as the I/O is set correctly, but as I said I know zip about Logic. I'll just lurk

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes I hope I did not just muck up the water, I guess It just seems relatively straight forward in PT as long as the I/O is set correctly, but as I said I know zip about Logic. I'll just lurk
Naw...I mean it does bring up a really good point and it's appropriate to this thread. Even Pro Tools now has an interim piece of mixing software and just like the Pro-Fire stuff Rick's going through I find the software perhaps the single most confusing, convoluted, mind boggling, difficult to master software I've ever seen....and I've seen a lot.

That said when I can get it to work it does provide for zero latency AND real time reverb during record. The idea is brilliant, the execution is horrendous. I do, on a more positive note, hear MOTU's audio desk (which is their interim software) is down right wonderful.

Makes me wanna get a MOTU's interface
Old 05-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Catching up on this. Rick, didn't we solve all your issues way back? :-)

At the risk of showing you yet another hardware setup you don't have, here's how I do it.

I have a track with guitar on it (Audio 3, here) and one bus is assigned, directing to Bus 1, which I've named Reverb Bus:

if I click on the bus, I can see that it's routed to the reverb bus

On the "Reverb Bus" channel, I have an IO plugin, and I have it set to send the output to outputs 7&8 on my hardware interface. Those are plugged into the inputs of my reverb. I have the hardware reverb's outputs connected to inputs 5&6 on my interface card, and I have the IO plugin set to take input from 5&6

That's it.

Debugging suggestions. I take it the signal is getting to your reverb, since you hear it. I'd verify that it's really coming from the send. Turn the volume on the bus send (the top photo) up and down to verify.

Then, is the reverb coming back in? You should see it on the level meters on the "Reverb Bus" channel, and you should be able to adjust the reverb level with that channel slider. If you're routing the reverb directly to your speakers some other way, I'd shut that off, you don't want to hear it for mixing anyway.

You can "mute" the guitar track by selecting the "Stereo Out" button on the guitar track and setting it to "No Output". You should hear only reverb. Also check that that button on the reverb bus is set to Stereo Out. Setting that to "No Output" should kill the reverb. If it doesn't the reverb's getting in some other way.

Finally, I know you said you did this, but when you bounce, be sure the "real time" button is checked.

Hope that helps. I'm using RME and TotalMix as my interface. It has to be setup right, too, and it's possible to mess it up, but I just have it set to the normal settings, i.e Channel 1 maps to Channel 1, 2 to 2, etc, so there's nothing very interesting there. I can take the plug for Channels 7&8 and plug them into my reverb ins, plug 5&6 in into the reverb out, and I'm all set.

Last edited by Doug Young; 05-03-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Sound card mixer software is pretty important if you need to set up different monitor mixes, or external send/returns.

@Rick

I think Doug might be onto something. If you turn down all the input faders in the 610 mixer, none of the inputs (including the Lexicon if it's turned on) will get routed to any of the outputs. Remember the 610 mixer software is for monitoring only. All it does is mix hardware ins and software outs into hardware outs. The input faders don't affect the signal level heard by the DAW, just the monitoring signal, ie the signal sent to a pair of hardware outs. You don't need any of the 610 mixer input faders turned up unless you're doing direct monitoring.
I have to refer back to this post by moon, that the software is all about monitoring, so I guess my problem is in Logic.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 PM

This is embarrassing, but I figured it out. The problem was the way I had things patched to and from my effects box. Sorry guys! I really appreciate the help though!

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
This is embarrassing, but I figured it out. The problem was the way I had things patched to and from my effects box. Sorry guys! I really appreciate the help though!

Thanks!

That's good! It's always the hardware that gets me....
Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 PM

Well, here at least, is a taste of the PCM-92 Medium Hall Reverb Effect applied to my recording: I know it's more than should be added, by it just sounds so awesome and lush!

Moon River

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 05-07-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Nice, Rick!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post

Thanks!
Ah good, sometimes this DAW stuff can be frustrating and it usually is just some little overlooked item/pilot error or what not.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Naw...I mean it does bring up a really good point and it's appropriate to this thread. Even Pro Tools now has an interim piece of mixing software and just like the Pro-Fire stuff Rick's going through I find the software perhaps the single most confusing, convoluted, mind boggling, difficult to master software I've ever seen....and I've seen a lot.

That said when I can get it to work it does provide for zero latency AND real time reverb during record. The idea is brilliant, the execution is horrendous. I do, on a more positive note, hear MOTU's audio desk (which is their interim software) is down right wonderful.

Makes me wanna get a MOTU's interface
Since Ricks up and running, I gotta ask cause I'm not sure what you mean PT has an "interim software" are talking about the new cue mix thingy and little mixer window to monitor directly off the inputs ? Gotta admit that is a bit confusing so I usually just forget it and track @ 32 or 64 and dont really notice much latency although it does sound a little reverby @ 128 and @ 256 it starts to get echo'y

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD