The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM

Default The tone of Sinker Redwood?

Dear Folks,

Beside the beautiful, how about the tone of the sinker redwood?

I saw this option in Taylor BTO, PS series and R. taylor line.

I can listen it on youtube but would like to do the research more about it.

Thank u.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:07 PM

Redwood is a soft and fairly vibrant wood species. But throw that out the window with "sinker" redwood. You would think it would be very dense thus not very open sounding requiring a significant # of years of playing.

jack
Old 01-27-2009, 02:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Sinker Redwood (at least the useable stuff) never became waterlogged. Apparently, the sediment at the river bottom acted as sealant and kept the logs preserved over the past century. I have over 50 sets of Sinker (it has a number of different "looks") and each one is very similar to premium quality Redwood. It is still Redwood - just with very unique coloring. Most of the sets I have are VERY lightweight with excellent strength. It is a fantastic tonewood.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrat View Post
You would think it would be very dense thus not very open sounding requiring a significant # of years of playing.

jack
I have not found this to be the case. What makes you think this? The one I have sounds great at about 1½ years old. To quote a luthier who first worked with this wood a couple years ago (Jeffrey Poss):

"The partial petrifaction of the sinker redwood adds hardness to the wood especially within the annular lines and gives this guitar a bright sound than a normal redwood topped guitar while still maintaining the bell like high tone characteristic of cedar top guitars yet with more of the complex characteristics of spruce. The bass has an unusually deep character that can only be described as dark chocolate."

I couldn't agree more...

2002 Ovation Celebrity CC057 (for sale)
2006 Taylor T5-C2 Blue Edge Burst
2006 Fender American Strat
2006 Taylor T5C-12 Ovangkol (for sale)
2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique
2002 TaylorStock 810 Custom
2008 R. Taylor Style 1 Sinker Redwood/Indian Rosewood
Old 01-27-2009, 03:47 PM

The tone of Sinker Redwood?

Quite beautiful... really. That wood may have "sunk" -- but the price of a nice top has truly risen.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Guitar Honey

My first experience with sinker is the Taylor custom GS I recently bought, paired with mascassar ebony. It is the most amazing sounding Taylor I have ever heard! Yes, deep chocolate with a resonance like I've never heard on any factory-made guitar before. Rich bass, perfectly balanced, sweeeet tone!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoice Music View Post
My first experience with sinker is the Taylor custom GS I recently bought, paired with mascassar ebony. It is the most amazing sounding Taylor I have ever heard! Yes, deep chocolate with a resonance like I've never heard on any factory-made guitar before. Rich bass, perfectly balanced, sweeeet tone!

Well -- that looks just amazing to me. Wow, very unique.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Guitar Honey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post

Well -- that looks just amazing to me. Wow, very unique.
Thanks! Here's a few more pics of it, in case you'd like to see the rest (taken quickly in a hotel room in Carlsbad when I bought the guitar):

Old 01-27-2009, 04:17 PM

Default I love the look and sound of Sinker Redwood...

at least that's the case with my R Taylor. I'd suggest you get some of the benefits of cedar/redwood and added stiffness akin to spruce. My guitar has much more headroom than a typical cedar-topped instrument coupled with a wonderful dark quality. Someone said chocolatey and I agree
Old 01-27-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Here's a few more pics of it, in case you'd like to see the rest (taken quickly in a hotel room in Carlsbad when I bought the guitar):

Just beautiful - did they stain to colour to match the top, back & sides? That is (IMO) the most beautiful combination of woods I have ever seen on a Taylor (just for the love of the "wood look" itself).
Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM

A couple months ago I played one (GS sinker Red/ Rosewood) at a local shop for about a half hour and was immediately captivated. Not sure if it would be the most versatile guitar in the world but it sure scratched my itch. This one had major volume - like a jumbo and was surprisingly resonant in the mids at both low and high volume. When I dropped to low D tuning I was really smitten.

I rounded up enough schekels and finally ordered one (actually an R. Taylor with coco back/sides) last week from Jim (GR) and it arrives Friday...After 30 years of guitars this will be the first acoustic I've ever bought without playing first (breaking my lifelong rule), but they are hard to find and especially at Jim's pricing, so I'll let you know. I have heard that the redwood takes time to "open up", etc. but if mine sounds anything like the one I played I'll be very happy come Fri night....

I'll post a pic and details this weekend.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 PM

redwood and cocobolo...sounds dreamy.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:03 PM

kind of like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/R-Taylor-Acoustic-Guitar-Sinker-Redwood-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ200301688974QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGu itar?hash=item200301688974&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_t rkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318
Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 PM

Actually the one I got from Jim is a bit simpler than the one on ebay (and was less $$) Some Sinkers are REALLY chocolatey and sometimes purpley in deep spots, some are more even toned. Mine's got ebony binding (although the bloodwood sure is cool) and the top is not as chocolatey or dramatically striped (which is okay by me-personal pref) but again that's based on the picture from Jim. I like the simple design and welcome the sans cutaway for a change. Won't get to gaze upon it with my own eyes till Fri.

Here's a stock pic from Jim of mine...
http://www.jbssh.com/RTstyle1.jpg
Old 01-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Tone Chaser

Quote:
Judging by your description, your amazing guitar might just sound as lovely as it looks! Wow! What a beauty!
De la Rosa - Brazilian RW/Swiss Moon Spruce (Coming April 2012)

Maingard
Grand Concert - Brazilian RW/German Spruce (2005)

Tippin
OMT - EIR/European Spruce (2000) (Voicing updated 2006)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion