The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-01-2010, 07:41 PM

Default LR BAGGS element installation

Anyone who installed a LR baggs element for his/her guitar?

My main concern is about the saddle adjustment. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Default yea..

Read the instructions real good before you start...the hole must be drilled in the saddle slot at an angle!!(very important!!)...and, the bottom of your saddle must...and I mean must be perfectly flat!!!...Also, in my experience that pickup works better with tusq instead of bone!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 AM

Default Hey

Hi Thanks for your reply

Do you know what I can use to adjust the saddle?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:59 AM

I'd recommend caution. I had a shop fit mine and found that they'd taken too much off the bone saddle and fitted shims.

The result is that I have two guitars with these pickups and the one they did plays at half the volume of the other one.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 12-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystrack View Post
I'd recommend caution. I had a shop fit mine and found that they'd taken too much off the bone saddle and fitted shims.

The result is that I have two guitars with these pickups and the one they did plays at half the volume of the other one.
That shouldn't be. Something's still not right with the install. Is the guitar half-volume acoustically? Shim's aren't ideal (why didn't they replace the saddle after they messed it up?), but I've at least never had a shim reduce the volume. These days if I have a UST installed, I usually ask them not to touch the original saddle, and just make me a new one of the right height. That way I can always go back to the original - assuming nothing changes about the slot during the process. The guys at Gryphon even recommend compensating the saddle differently (less or not at all) for a UST to get the right balance, so that pretty much requires a new saddle, if you buy into that.

Installing the Element is pretty similar to any UST, and definitely, unless your guitar already has a UST installed, I'd have it done by a pro. The saddle slot needs to be made perfectly flat if it isn't already, the saddle height needs to be adjusted and so on. Not something that most people who haven't done this before are going to get right. But the process is pretty much the same as for any UST.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:32 PM

Doug - the UST is fitted to my Doerr Trinity (which as an OO is not as loud as my Charis SJ but is not far off). I'm not sure if the lattice top on the Doerr has an effect (surely not since it's grabbing string vibration only - right?).

I didn't know about the Element needing to be drilled at an angle and don't know how to check if that's how it's been done. The guy who does it has a hit and miss record with my guitar work but we're not blessed with a lot of choice around here. What I do know is that when I first complained about the volume he wiggled the saddle and it improved a bit.

I chose the Element becuase the one fitted to my Charis is glorious. I have tried several alternatives on other guitars but have stayed with UST as others e.g. the iBeam have given me problems with feedback - separate issue which I won't go into detail with for fear of sidetracking this thread (further).

Tom Doerr is building my next guitar and I'm inclined to try the K & K Trinity. Whatever I choose Tom will fit it

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 12-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystrack View Post
Doug - the UST is fitted to my Doerr Trinity (which as an OO is not as loud as my Charis SJ but is not far off). I'm not sure if the lattice top on the Doerr has an effect (surely not since it's grabbing string vibration only - right?).
I wouldn't think bracing would affect the pickup volume in any material way. My guess is that the saddle isn't seated correctly, applying less pressure to the pickup. That should also have a negative affect on the acoustic tone, tho perhaps not the same sort of half-volume thing. That's another reason I like them not to mess with my original saddle, I've had too many guitars end up being not quite right after a UST install. Shouldn't happen, but it does.

Quote:
I didn't know about the Element needing to be drilled at an angle and don't know how to check if that's how it's been done.
Just pull out the saddle and pickup and look, tho beware that the Element is kind of hard to get back thru the hole, like threading a needle. The point of the angle (common to many USTs) is just to avoid a sharp bend that could crimp the pickup. The only time I've had an issue with this is when a sharp angle completely cut out a pickup (not an Element) - a sharp bend shorted it out. I suppose it's also possible that too sharp a bend could cause some damage that would reduce output rather than being completely broken. It's also possible you just have a bad Element, something wrong with the preamp, (have you checked the batteries?) etc. All seems less likely than the saddle just not being seated properly, but it's hard to know.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:14 PM

I've installed many of these and have had instances where the saddle doesn't set properly and my tone is effected. I just "re-installed" one last month due to poor sound and came to find out the saddle was a little too thick from front to back and was binding in the slot. It didn't make complete contact with the UST and it needed to be flat sanded to drop down in the saddle slot a bit more. Also if the saddle bottom has not been sanded completely flat and has weird angles to it... it will not make perfect contact as well.

L.R. Baggs also tells you in the installation guide NOT to use shims for they interfere with the seating of the UST. I agree with Doug, if a saddle's too short, have another one made.

ento69?....sounds like you might want to pay the extra dough and take it to a reputable shop, you may be happier with the outcome.

Just some personal observations...
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
‘96 Gibson J-100

Last edited by clicktone; 12-02-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added text
Old 12-02-2010, 05:23 PM

Default hey

Thanks for the reply.

I won't do it myself for sure and break my new guitar lol. I asked a guy who builds guitar and he told me that it would be pretty easy to install the pickup. His main concern was about the adjustment of the saddle...
Old 12-02-2010, 05:46 PM

That's my main concern for you as well. Your friend is right, sanding the saddle is one of the most important things. My first couple of times I admit I was a bit timid, but once you learn how to do it you'll be on your way. Blessings on the new pickup!
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 12-02-2010, 06:04 PM

Default Hey

Thanks...

But how do I adjust the saddle? Do you have any advice that may be useful?
Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ento59 View Post
Thanks...

But how do I adjust the saddle? Do you have any advice that may be useful?

here's the process (different pickup, but the basics are all the same):

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luth...x/matrix1.html

But if you're having a qualified guitar tech do it, he'll know all this
Old 12-02-2010, 09:35 PM

Default Hey

Ok thanks...

But if I do bad on the saddle... I can always get another one right?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

What songwriter said , the saddle must be sanded flat. Yes if you mess it up you can get a new one but that can be a whole new word of trouble if your new to this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification