The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Guest 829

Default Ashdown acoustic preamp pedal

Hi all

I was about to buy either a Fishman or LR Baggs pedal the other day and my local music shop introduced me to an Ashdown pedal which was a lot cheaper (and they didn't have the Fishman or LR Baggs in stock).

I must say that I don't have anything to compare it too but I was really quite impressed with the sound enhancement (enought to buy it) and because I can't seem to find many reviews about this particular brand of pedal I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with it.

I guess what I'm interested in is finding out if I have actually made a mistake buying it or is it the case that this pedal has not, as yet, reached the larger acoustic audience. I know that the other pedals have more EQ options but from what I can tell so far it's quite easy to dial in a great sound. It also has a notch filter but no tuner.

I am in the process of returning to gigging and it will be used both as a DI straight into the PA or through my Schertler UNICO and then into the PA.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:34 AM

It has the basics covered, with a bit more than you'd get with most onboard preamps, so it'll likely serve you well. It's a bit limited in the EQ (the Baggs Venue (or Para) has 5 band EQ, not just high and low) but has the necessaries, ie. an input gain control, an output level control (presumable for the 1/4" amp output, not the DI out) and a tunable notch filter. The Venue, of course, also includes a tuner, an effects loop and a boost circuit, in addition to the 5 band EQ, so that likely accounts for the difference in price.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Guest 829

Thanks for this reply.

Yes I think those extra features of the Baggs are important in deciding if this new pedal is viable for others looking here.

I think I decided that I would prefer—for the time being at least—to keep my setup simple. My PA desk has a lot of control over the mids so hopefully that's most of the bases covered. And I don't see myself using additional effects (yet).

But soundwise it certainly does add a richness that was really unexpected when I went to try it.

I'm playing a Santa Cruz OMPW (Fishman pickup) and a Schertler amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification