The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlG View Post
Is it possible to power the DPA with 48v via the same stereo cable using a different preamp while its connected to the Wave-Length? I am thinking specifically of the Sound Devices MixPre. Besides, the Solstice and DPA phantom power supply cost just as much together.
You need an adaptor to run the 4061 directly from 48 volts:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._to_3_pin.html

Interesting that B&H claims this takes the 48 volts down to 5, which is in conflict with the comments about the mic needing higher voltages. DPA's site isn't responding right now, so I can't check the specs.

BUT, there's no need for this, nor anyway to run external phantom thru the Wavelength preamp. The Wavelength preamp will provide phantom for a condenser mic directly:

http://www.d-tar.com/images/2nd_source_installation.pdf
Old 12-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Thanks, Doug. DPA's specs read as follows:
Quote:
For wireless systems: Min. 5 V – max. 50 V through DPA adapter. With DAD6001-BC/DAD6024/DAD4099: 48 V phantom power ±4 V for full performance.
Given the above, one should get "full performance" from the 4061 when connected to the Wave-Length. So I'm not sure why some folk have reported low headroom.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, Doug. DPA's specs read as follows:

Given the above, one should get "full performance" from the 4061 when connected to the Wave-Length. So I'm not sure why some folk have reported low headroom.
I see no issue with headroom or gain with the Wavelength powering the 4061, it produces more or less equal output with the UST with a 10K resistor in the gain spot. No experience with the Audix, but LJ's results suggest it works fine, of course.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I see no issue with headroom or gain
Many thanks for your reassurance.

Forgive the question, but there's a significant amount of noise in your fingerpicking examples #93-95 but not as much in those where you tap and strum. Yet your MP3s are encoded at 320 kb/s and I'm sure the DPA is not at fault. Was it just the levels on your digital recorder? I'm not skeptical, just curious

Last edited by EarlG; 12-23-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I see no issue with headroom or gain with the Wavelength powering the 4061, it produces more or less equal output with the UST with a 10K resistor in the gain spot. No experience with the Audix, but LJ's results suggest it works fine, of course.
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/pro...118&item=24343

The effects seem negligible with 18V but with 15v i got a lot of self noise and very low output.
Fylde Falstaff- Sitka/ Rio Rosewood
Maestro 00-IR- Adi/ Rosewood
Yamaha LL-16D- Spruce/ Rosewood in Black
David Oddy Mandocello- Sitka/ Indian Rosewood
G7th Capos and Elixir Nanoweb PB 13-56
Old 12-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

These are all recorded back to back, same settings, same levels. I'm not really hearing noise when I listen here. What kind of noise? I have not noticed the Wavelength being a noisy system, and DPA makes really quiet mics (tho again, mine are used ebay purchases...)

Those tracks were recorded thru my Pendulum SPS-1 into Logic on my Mac, and I did send back the Pendulum to have it worked on due to noise a while back, can't recall if it was before or after I recorded those examples, so maybe you're hearing that, and I'm just not tuning into whatever you're hearing.

Edit: I went back to my project file and in the silence before the examples, I hear a low hum. Is that what you're hearing? That's why I sent the SPS-1 back in to be rehabbed.

Last edited by Doug Young; 12-23-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:46 PM

Your link points to the 4099. Are we talking about the same mic?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Your link points to the 4099. Are we talking about the same mic?
I can imagine you'd have issues powering the 4099 with 15 volts - that's a different mic that expects 48 balanced phantom.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
That's why I sent the SPS-1 back in to be rehabbed.
Yes, the Pendulum leaves a lot to be desired. And man do I desire it

I'm hearing some hiss. RX 2 Advanced shows a spike at around 11.24 kHz in all three instances in #93, with the first being more pronounced.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, the Pendulum leaves a lot to be desired. And man do I desire it

I'm hearing some hiss. RX 2 Advanced shows a spike at around 11.24 kHz in all three instances in #93, with the first being more pronounced.
You must have better ears than I, but the SPS-1 had a low hum, also some hiss, in fact just noise across the board. It's a '93, and they had to redo the power supply, replace some ICs, some caps, etc. Even if it's the Wavelength, your audience won't be running RX while you're playing :-)
Old 12-23-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
You must have better ears than I
I'm not sure, but I'm one of those "fortunate" individuals who can be tortured by a common desktop computer. In one of my project studios I had to isolate the main drive in a 1x1-meter acoustic chamber even though it was in a separate room, only to discover that the CRT monitor was equally unforgiving. Now I only use laptops and LCDs.

Quote:
your audience won't be running RX while you're playing :-)
From now on I'll be looking to see who's spectacles are reflecting a colorful spectrogram
Old 12-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

That's got to come in handy for recording and mixing, even if it's a pain at times. What kind of monitors are you listening on.

I should probably redo those particular samples now that the SPS-1 is fixed.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
That's got to come in handy for recording and mixing, even if it's a pain at times.
Often, even faint high frequencies can sound like they're 110 db in my ears. On the upside, nowadays I set up far fewer computers for friends

Quote:
What kind of monitors are you listening on.
Currently just a humble ATH-M30 connected to my Sager :-) I sold practically everything before traveling to Ecuador, then decided to stay. Who'd have thought that U87s are thriving between two volcanoes, 7,824ft up in the Andes. But indeed they are!

Quote:
I should probably redo those particular samples now that the SPS-1 is fixed.
I must commend you for your work there. It's nothing short of incredible. Many thanks for making this utterly invaluable resource available to us all.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:18 AM

I give up- how did you make this photo? Slip a little camera in your guitar, or do you have the ultimate cutaway model?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification