The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-02-2008, 09:04 PM

Default LR Baggs Para DI Effects Loop Question

Any of you Baggs Para DI users use the effects loop? I just got a Para DI and and a "Y" cable (stereo to two monos) and am having a problem. I am trying to loop to my tuner, then to a chorus pedal, then back to the Para DI, and then from the XLR out to the amp or PA. I am getting a signal to the tuner (I can tune my guitar) but so sound. If I pull out the stereo plug from the Para DI one notch, I get sound but the tuner will not mute the signal. So... those of you who have had success with this: what is wrong with this picture? Thanks!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Cocobologist

At first glance, I would say it's your Y connector. My guess is that it provides a stereo sum to the mono outputs, rather than splitting the ring and tip to the two separately.

In other words, make sure that one of the mono outs is wired only to the ring and sleeve of the stereo TRS plug, and the other mono is connected only to the ring and the sleeve of the stereo plug. Plug the stereo plug into the effects loop jack of the Para DI, one of the mono plugs into the input side of the tuner, a regular TS/TS patch chord from the output of the tuner to the input of the chorus, then the other mono plug from the chorus output back to the Para DI. You may need to swap the two mono plugs depending on the I/O configuration of the Para DI...

Hosa makes a cable that will do this connection for you, and is readily available at Guitar Center...

Hope this helps,
Dave

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 04-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
At first glance, I would say it's your Y connector. My guess is that it provides a stereo sum to the mono outputs, rather than splitting the ring and tip to the two separately.

In other words, make sure that one of the mono outs is wired only to the ring and sleeve of the stereo TRS plug, and the other mono is connected only to the ring and the sleeve of the stereo plug. Plug the stereo plug into the effects loop jack of the Para DI, one of the mono plugs into the input side of the tuner, a regular TS/TS patch chord from the output of the tuner to the input of the chorus, then the other mono plug from the chorus output back to the Para DI. You may need to swap the two mono plugs depending on the I/O configuration of the Para DI...

Hosa makes a cable that will do this connection for you, and is readily available at Guitar Center...

Hope this helps,
Dave
+1

You want what is called an "insert" cable. It look just like your Y cable but is wired differently inside - tip of TRS to left TS, ring of TRS to right TS, common ground
Old 04-03-2008, 06:25 AM

Thanks, Dave and sdelsolray.

What I have is a Hosa YPP-117 6" shielded Y Cable (like this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSYPP117 ). I just did a search and I saw what were indicated as insert cables, such as this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSSTP20 . Looking at the description, I don't feel confident that it is actually different from what I have (except having male mono ends, rather than female). Is this the direction of what you are saying I should get?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Cocobologist

From what you posted, you should be working fine.

I have a Baggs Para DI, but have never had a need to use the effects loop. I'll play around with it tonite to confirm you have the connections correct.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 04-03-2008, 07:37 AM

Oh my... I just double checked my connections, and as long as I use the red cable for return, it works. I swear I had tried it before... maybe I had one of the connections loose.... So, it looks like I am all set. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:34 AM

Hey Wally. I just went through this awhile back myself. I guess I'm confused as to why you're using the "Y" cable in the first place? I would just use a single 1/4" chord from guitar to the PADI in then loop your effects through the PADI via return and send. I'm not an expert nor very technically minded but that scenario works for me. Just not sure about the "Y" cables use.

Jim B
Old 04-03-2008, 04:22 PM

I'm pretty sure the PADI does not have a seperate return and send, just the one effects loop jack.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 04-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsong View Post
I'm pretty sure the PADI does not have a seperate return and send, just the one effects loop jack.
Yep. Mine just has the one.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:18 PM

The Ultrasound PADI (which I also have) has a return and send. The Baggs Para DI has just a single stereo loop jack. I prefer the send/return on the PADI, which is a great preamp, but I like the sweepable mid on the Baggs, which is why I just got one.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:33 AM

Ahhh...you're right. I have been using a Fishman Pocket Blender that has the return send scenario which has worked well. Sorry...my technical ignorance.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewallylama View Post
Oh my... I just double checked my connections, and as long as I use the red cable for return, it works. I swear I had tried it before... maybe I had one of the connections loose.... So, it looks like I am all set. Thanks for your help!

Cool! Have Fun!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification