The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2021, 10:51 AM

Default Heritage Insurance Customers

Mods, please move this as appropriate. It fits a general discussion because so many here carry the coverage, but it's not about a "guitar," per se.

Heritage sent word today that they're changing underwriters from Travelers to Great American (for me, at the expiration my current Travelers policy). You don't have "Heritage" insurance, you have the insurance of whatever carrier is working through Heritage. Heritage is the broker.

It's important to understand that different carriers have different approaches to making claims determinations. Some carriers are lenient/liberal in paying claims, and some are more strict. The Heritage people are a factor, too, but that part is staying the same.

I don't know why Heritage (or Travelers) is making the change. I know most/all have been very happy with how Travelers has handled claims, and I have no idea whether Great American's approach will be similar, or different. Just giving a heads-up that things *might* change, so be aware.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:54 AM

We have to trust that Heritage chose wisely. My goal is to never have the need to put in a claim.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:14 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Default Heritage Insurance Customers

My Heritage underwriter is Hartford. So no change for me. So far both Heritage and Hartford have been fantastic to work with. But then I haven’t had a claim yet…and I hope never do. As long as the coverage hasn’t changed (and it hasn’t) I feel pretty secure that my policy’s solid.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 08-10-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
My Heritage underwriter is Hartford. So no change for me. So far both Heritage and Hartford have been fantastic to work with. But then I haven’t had a claim yet…and I hope never to. As long as the coverage hasn’t changed (and it hasn’t) I feel pretty secure that my policy’s solid.
Interesting. I'd assumed Heritage had a single underwriter for instrument coverage.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Smile Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
My Heritage underwriter is Hartford. So no change for me. So far both Heritage and Hartford have been fantastic to work with. But then I haven’t had a claim yet…and I hope never to. As long as the coverage hasn’t changed (and it hasn’t) I feel pretty secure that my policy’s solid.
I have Heritage/Hartford too. Never made a claim, but they have been great to respond fast to additions and deletions.

Let me shout out a big thanks to Robin Riotto at Heritage

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-10-2021, 11:26 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Heritage uses 4 different underwriters including Great American, Hartford, Travelers, and AXA.

I suspect that they occasionally need to 'rebalance' their underwriting to get the most favorable terms from the underwriting companies.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:27 AM

Many of these brokerage arrangements change for financial reasons. I know that comes as a shock to us all. Travelers may not have wanted to be in that line of business any more, they may have had claims issues and wanted to raise rates, Heritage might have wanted a larger broker fee to send the business to them, etc.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Mods, please move this as appropriate. It fits a general discussion because so many here carry the coverage, but it's not about a "guitar," per se.

Heritage sent word today that they're changing underwriters from Travelers to Great American (for me, at the expiration my current Travelers policy). You don't have "Heritage" insurance, you have the insurance of whatever carrier is working through Heritage. Heritage is the broker.

It's important to understand that different carriers have different approaches to making claims determinations. Some carriers are lenient/liberal in paying claims, and some are more strict. The Heritage people are a factor, too, but that part is staying the same.

I don't know why Heritage (or Travelers) is making the change. I know most/all have been very happy with how Travelers has handled claims, and I have no idea whether Great American's approach will be similar, or different. Just giving a heads-up that things *might* change, so be aware.
My Heritage coverage is underwritten by The Hartford. They've been pretty good, though the adjuster on a recent claim had no clue about amps as she kept telling me to take my amp to a luthier....
Old 08-10-2021, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Heritage uses 4 different underwriters including Great American, Hartford, Travelers, and AXA.

I suspect that they occasionally need to 'rebalance' their underwriting to get the most favorable terms from the underwriting companies.
I have had Heritage under Traveler's for years and got the notice as well. I was happy to hear that the staff listed are the same great people that I have worked with over the years. At this time, I have no reason to believe that their fabulous coverage and customer service will change. I had one claim a few years ago that was handled with wonderful efficiency and professionalism. I guess time will tell if this change, alters what I expect from them based on my experience of them over the past 17 years.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-10-2021, 11:49 AM

I have Heritage / Hartford. I've had to make a couple claims and all parties were fantastic to deal with. No hassle whatsoever...they paid for a professional evaluation for any damages and paid immediately.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

My policy is still through Traveler's. I think these brokers help to shape the policies to fit their customers' specific needs. I expect they know what they're doing, and I trust them to do a good job.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Mine is Heritage/Hartford as well. Not sure how it ended up that way.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I had Heritage/Travelers that has now transitioned to Great American. I've had one claim with Travelers and it worked out well. Hopefully, GA will be good if I need them too.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:20 PM

Unless you are making a living with your instruments then additional insurance is a waste of money.

I have a rider on my homeowners insurance for full replacement. Last time I checked it was $10 a year.

I had to use it once. I turned in quotes for equivalent replacements of the stolen instruments. A couple weeks later I got a check for 100% replacement.

Because my instruments were recovered and are being held for evidence I had to sign over ownership to the insurance company. If and when they are released I would have the option of buying them back or letting them go for auction. The part that really stings is that if I wanted them back today I would have to drop the charges.

Yes I checked with a lawyer.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
Unless you are making a living with your instruments then additional insurance is a waste of money.

I have a rider on my homeowners insurance for full replacement. Last time I checked it was $10 a year.

I had to use it once. I turned in quotes for equivalent replacements of the stolen instruments. A couple weeks later I got a check for 100% replacement.

Because my instruments were recovered and are being held for evidence I had to sign over ownership to the insurance company. If and when they are released I would have the option of buying them back or letting them go for auction. The part that really stings is that if I wanted them back today I would have to drop the charges.

Yes I checked with a lawyer.
Theft from the home is one form of loss covered by homeowners policies, but another loss many here can experience is shipping damage, theft, etc., when buying or selling instruments that leave the home.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion