The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2021, 12:16 PM

Default Strap button doesn't go all the way in on Martin

An online friend just opened his new Martin X1-DE (mine is still in the box) and he says, and has a picture, that the bottom strap button doesn't go all the way into the body. It seems to be jutting out a bit and his pic shows it. He said he tried forcing it in but is meeting resistance and is worried about damaging it.

Is this normal? Could it be some humidity problems?
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 02-26-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

It won’t go all the way in. It should be hand tightened while rotating about an 1/8 of a turn. If your friend is a professional player and plays live he can install a locking strap button or a shop can use a 5 degree reamer (same as the bridge pins) and ream the hole slightly and put on a drop of wood glue. The guitar should never be shipped with the end pin in as this invites a tail block crack, so they are purposely hand tightened and easily removed. This is why your guitar usually comes with the end pin inside the case pocket.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
It won’t go all the way in. It should be hand tightened while rotating about an 1/8 of a turn. If your friend is a professional player and plays live he can install a locking strap button or a shop can use a 5 degree reamer (same as the bridge pins) and ream the hole slightly and put on a drop of wood glue. The guitar should never be shipped with the end pin in as this invites a tail block crack, so they are purposely hand tightened and easily removed. This is why your guitar usually comes with the end pin inside the case pocket.
Thanks. He's not a pro but he owns a lot of guitars (a lot) but nearly all are electrics.

BTW, he said he has gotten it to the point where it seems to be in and won't move so he is just going to enjoy the guitar and deal with that later. I will be opening up my Martin later today as I'm in the middle of a lot of work right now.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

Last edited by Ralph124C41; 02-26-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:47 PM

That's how they come from the factory.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:12 PM

Sandpaper is your friend.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9
Old 02-26-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx View Post
This...better to sand the peg than to ream the hole. Much less invasive!
Old 02-26-2021, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx View Post
I agree with this. With Martins, it's normal for the end pin to not go in all the way. With my Martins, I have found that best thing to do is sand the end pin in small increments until the end pin sits flush with the guitar. Be careful to take off only enough so the pin fits snugly, but you can insert it without forcing it. I don't like the idea of reaming the end block hole unless it's done by a skilled luthier. I'd rather mess up a $5 plastic end pin than a much more expensive guitar.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 02-26-2021, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Do not ream the end-pin hole, and I would advise strongly against glue.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-26-2021, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
This...better to sand the peg than to ream the hole. Much less invasive!
It may be but it's still not correct. Sand the pin all you like you're still inserting a tapered pin into a straight hole. The best fit is when the hole is tapered with a reamer. The only reason Martin stopped doing it was to save money in the manufacturing process. Same with the bridge pins.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
It may be but it's still not correct. Sand the pin all you like you're still inserting a tapered pin into a straight hole. The best fit is when the hole is tapered with a reamer. The only reason Martin stopped doing it was to save money in the manufacturing process. Same with the bridge pins.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
What Jesse said +1

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-26-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Do not ream the end-pin hole, and I would advise strongly against glue.
If you know what you are doing and have the right tools, absolutely ream the end pin hole - bridge pin holes too. I know of no other field or application where a tapered pin is used in a straight (non-tapered) hole.

If you are at all concerned about it coming out, apply one small dab of glue on the end pin, sufficient to prevent it from coming out.

If the tapered end pin is inserted in a non-tapered hole, the glue won't do much, since the surfaces of pin and hole don't match, unless one uses a lot of glue, enough to fill the un-mating surfaces. I don't advise that.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:52 PM

The end-pin on my 000-15SM won't go all the way in either, and I'm OK with that. It's totally secure, so I'm not messing with it.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 02-26-2021, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
If you know what you are doing and have the right tools, absolutely ream the end pin hole - bridge pin holes too. I know of no other field or application where a tapered pin is used in a straight (non-tapered) hole.

If you are at all concerned about it coming out, apply one small dab of glue on the end pin, sufficient to prevent it from coming out.

If the tapered end pin is inserted in a non-tapered hole, the glue won't do much, since the surfaces of pin and hole don't match, unless one uses a lot of glue, enough to fill the un-mating surfaces. I don't advise that.
I was not aware Martin shipped straight drilled holes. My latest Martins are tapered. But yes, then I would agree. But proper tools and technique are a must to avoid chipping and over reaming. Thanks for the correction.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-26-2021, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post

Charles - I've heard of people using one drop of Titebond. Would Elmer's Glue All be sufficient for this purpose as well?
Old 02-26-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
This is one area where Taylor has it all over Martin. When you buy a new Taylor, the end pin is properly installed and the bridge pins aren't sticking up. I wonder how much money Martin saves by doing this? Or is it just a matter of tradition, i.e., "this is how we've always done it"?
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion