The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2021, 10:26 AM

Default My new guitar rave (not a rant.) FGX5

I wanted to post, I have had them a few days now. I say "them" as I bought 2, without audition. I am only 18 months in (now I am 66) I can tell these Yamaha FGX5's are special in their price range. My three "favs" about the FGX5. The neck is so slick and smooth. Tone is to my ear perfect (I still play my Martin D16E but it is much more bluesy.) Playability right off the wall is just fine with me. My first was an FG830, I really could not play it till some lowered action work was done but then it sounded like a stringed beer can.(they were never on the wall, I unboxed both and tuned both for their first tunings) Nothing at all wrong with the factory strings. I was certain I would want to put the same Martin phosphor/bronze, no reason at all to waste a set of new strings. (the phosphor/bronze make black lines on my fingertips.) Some people making FGX5 reviews use words like "cannon" and rave about the electronics. Cannon is the word. (all my strings are balanced,same amount of signal.) I had to wait 3 months but a few days ago I got the call ("they are in." It was supposed to be summer delivery. I can't afford to keep both, but I don't mind at all. I don't gig, I am playing for fun and general physical and mental health (my hands do hurt,everyday.)
Old 02-26-2021, 01:19 PM

Smile

Congrats! Yes, the Red Label guitars crafted in Japan are great guitars! I’ve owned my FS5 since May 2019. They are as good as guitars costing twice its price. Enjoy!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 02-26-2021, 02:58 PM

Congratulations! It's nice to see someone has had them arrive, and you were wise enough to get a couple! I am becoming a believer in the elevated level the Yamahas achieve now that I have spent some real time with an AC5. I believe the folks here on the forum have it right. Mine has really low action and still plays well. Hopefully, this will help with your hands. I have to say that the smaller body ones put out a good bit of sound as well. Enjoy.

Best,

Mac
Old 02-26-2021, 03:01 PM

Claw, Congrats! There are many of us here on the AGF that are awaiting some 5 series Yamahas to come in stock.

Have you made a decision as to which FGX5 you're keeping (assuming you're not keeping both)?
Old 02-26-2021, 09:31 PM

I just gigged with mine tonight. It sounded better than me. Lol. Seriously though, plugged in it is g r e a t!
Old 02-27-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I just gigged with mine tonight. It sounded better than me. Lol. Seriously though, plugged in it is g r e a t!
Sweet. OT, do you find the FGX5 tone plugged in better than, or equal to, the AC5? Not sure if they're the same electronics.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet. OT, do you find the FGX5 tone plugged in better than, or equal to, the AC5? Not sure if they're the same electronics.
My AC3M Deluxe sounds good plugged in, but the electronics from the A series to the Red Label are totally different. Red label has a 3-way system. Under saddle piezo for low frequencies. Body sensor (transducer) near the bridge for mid and high, and a condenser mic on the circuit board to give more presence. Does a fine job picking up percussive style playing and sounds natural even with the piezo only dialed in.

The A series 3 and 5 models use SRT technology which simulates a mic'd sound. The M and R models use different mics and I much prefer the mic model for the M, hence, I sold my A5R. The gen 1 models had all 3 mic models: a ribbon mic, a small diaphragm condenser, and a large diaphragm condenser. The new ones only give you two. Ribbon for both, small condenser with the M models and large condenser with the R models. The A series only have amn undersaddle piezo pickup. They don't pickup percussive style playing that much if at all.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
My AC3M Deluxe sounds good plugged in, but the electronics from the A series to the Red Label are totally different. Red label has a 3-way system. Under saddle piezo for low frequencies. Body sensor (transducer) near the bridge for mid and high, and a condenser mic on the circuit board to give more presence. Does a fine job picking up percussive style playing and sounds natural even with the piezo only dialed in.

The A series 3 and 5 models use SRT technology which simulates a mic'd sound. The M and R models use different mics and I much prefer the mic model for the M, hence, I sold my A5R. The gen 1 models had all 3 mic models: a ribbon mic, a small diaphragm condenser, and a large diaphragm condenser. The new ones only give you two. Ribbon for both, small condenser with the M models and large condenser with the R models. The A series only have amn undersaddle piezo pickup. They don't pickup percussive style playing that much if at all.
Great info - thanks YamahaGuy.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:18 PM

You bought two, but can only afford one? Were you afraid one would arrive damaged?

Was it your intent when ordering that you would return one, and you would decide that based on what?

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion