The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-03-2021, 06:47 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default The Eagles Live From The Forum MMXVIII

I saw it on ESPN on the Fourth of July Weekend and DVR'd it. Its a decent set of performances. HOWEVER, the mix is atrocious. I mean packing quilt over speakers bad. I mean darn, that's almost mono bad. I mean "did they throw a high pass filter in on this?" bad. Now, I don't want to throw shade on the mixer, Jeff Balding, yet. I've been in a few of these circumstances before.

A while back I worked on a country festival concert video, back before there was surround audio in TV. We brought in the finest remote truck with 136 console channels and two Mitsubishi 32 track digital recording machines, had a crew of eight engineers, and did a bang-up job getting the Saturday night performance mixed in stereo, and rushed it to the network control center for a Monday air date. They aired it alright, left channel only, y-corded to both channels, meaning no hi-hat, half the drums gone, all the guitars on the right side, etc. Whenever I go into the tape library those master tapes stare at me.

The point there is that it could have been pretty badly Osterized by ESPN's master control standards. Compared to The Eagles Farewell I, the newer From the Forum is a bland blur. Farewell I is probably the state of the art, the reference standard for concert mixing. So my question is, has anyone bought the BluRay or DVD and had a chance to listen to the mixes and compare them to the ESPN broadcast?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-03-2021, 06:55 PM

"Oh, yes. The sound." (Quote from a friend who worked as a tech at an LA TV station.)
Old 02-04-2021, 05:43 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
"Oh, yes. The sound." (Quote from a friend who worked as a tech at an LA TV station.)
Har, har, har. My first week at a TV network back in 1981, I had been impressed by my audio boss with my responsibility to create absolutely state-of-the-art audio for the programs I was assigned to. I was diligently setting up a rig and was told by the director to "get that junk out of the camera shot." When I attempted to argue my case with him, he looked at me, the rookie, and patiently said, "It's a matter of priorities. Look, how big is your TV screen?" (let's say 24" diagonally back then) "How big is your speaker?" (3" back then) "You figure it out."

Bob

Old 12-25-2021, 09:48 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Well, folks. It's about time for an update, no? I've had request for this video on my Christmas list ever since I posted the original post, ten months ago. My lovely wife got the BluRay for me and it is up on the home theater right now. My impression after listening to this disc is that the ESPN was indeed Osterized. The reverb was overbearing, the mids were way out front, and there was no way to retrieve the highs.

The mix is okay on this set. With the BluRay in, I can EQ to bring out the highs and it isn't a reverb wash. It isn't an Elliot Scheiner mix, but it is clean and clear enough to make it sing with the EQ. The impression I get is that it was mixed on overly-bright monitors. I've rolled in a definite, generous Hollywood curve with plenty of high-end and a bit of 60hz to get the kick going.

So, perhaps I was wise to not permanently slag the concert mix in my original post, eh?

Bob

Old 12-26-2021, 07:00 AM

The Eagles were always known to play exact reproductions of their studio recordings on stage so the idea of them having live albums never quite made sense to me.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN