The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-26-2021, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I'm one of those people who always checks receipts, counts my change for discrepancies, and my checkbooks balance to the penny...

I also count my money at the ATM...

This topic also brought to mind an incident that happened many years ago, that my older daughter (now in her late 40's) related to me some time back...

She told me she recalled the time when she was a kid that we had ordered pizza...she said she remembered that I counted the change from the delivery kid, realized he had given me $2 too much and I rushed out the door to catch him and give him his $2 back...

I told her I didn't even remember it, and she gave me a hug and said "I do.."

I now have an adult grandson, and six granddaughters under the age of 12, and I try to keep in mind that they pay attention even when I don't...
Old 01-27-2021, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I love banking online as I can see everything that has occurred with our account at any time. It is prudent to check it from time to time.
Funny, that's exactly the reason I refuse to do online banking. One simple glitch or breach in the security system and anyone/everyone can see all your banking details.

1972 - Takamine D-70
1980 - Morris B-50
2002 - Guild F-412
2009 - Martin Grand J12-40E Special
2011 - Martin JDP 2 #71/71
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2012 - Epiphone EJ-200/N
2012 - Huss & Dalton MJ Custom
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Historic 1957 SJ-200
Old 01-27-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
While I willingly accept responsibility for my own actions and any consequences that may arise from them, at the age of 70 I refuse to accept either the consequences of mistakes that others make or your attempted guilt trip. If that teller routinely makes mistakes on the order of 25% discrepancies then maybe she shouldn't be handling other peoples' money...
Nice rationalization. What you did was wrong. This is an easy one. You'd think at 70 you'd have gained the wisdom to see that.

scott

'20 Gibson 1942 Banner LG2 reissue "Historic Series"
'70 Yamaha "Red Label" FG 150
'64 Gibson Melody Maker[/B]

Old 01-27-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Nice rationalization. What you did was wrong. This is an easy one. You'd think at 70 you'd have gained the wisdom to see that.

scott
Actually I am not sure what age has to do with it. Does that mean if someone was 50, or 40, it would be a different ethical situation?

When ATM were first introduced, and I mean at the very beginning, I, being a nerd, went right away. I punched in a request for $20. The machine started spitting out $20 bills. 63 of them. I must admit I did think of keeping them. There was no one around. No one could ever know.

But I did not. It was a difficult scene trying to give them back at a physical branch. The teller kept on thinking I was trying to make a deposit. I had to ask for a manager. It took more than a hour of my time.

1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 01-27-2021, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post

scott
Well tell me how a 25% mistake in counting that is pointed out by the customer is less grounds for dismissal than one that is discovered by end-of-day accounting. I've worked in retail and know that if my drawer was off by 25%, I would have been looking for other employment. This thread is about the mistakes that tellers make, usually not in favor of the customer. Customers were inconvenienced to a greater or lesser extent when they tried to sort out the mess. You can call it a rationalization if you wish, but a teller's "possible" dismissal based on large errors in counting may be Darwin's way of telling them to find another line of work...
Rainsong V-DR1100N2
Old 01-27-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

We will have to agree to disagree. Just remind me not to buy a guitar from you.

Best,
scott

'20 Gibson 1942 Banner LG2 reissue "Historic Series"
'70 Yamaha "Red Label" FG 150
'64 Gibson Melody Maker[/B]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic