The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 09:26 AM

Question Here's what I like... tell me what to buy :-)

It seems like I've had way too many guitars, and yet I keep trying more. It's not primarily a dissatisfaction and a quest for the perfect one but rather just a love for the instrument and a joy in the experience of playing with different feels and sounds. I'm embarrassed to say that I've owned over 200 different acoustics... most I've liked a lot, some I've loved and some didn't do it for me. I'm currently considering trying something new but not sure what direction to go. Here's a bit about my guitar experiences. Maybe you can share some of yours, put yourself in my position and offer some advice.

I've owned 3 McPherson's. All time favorite was sitka grenadillo 4.5. Sound and playing was an experience unlike any other. I sold to finance mission trip. Another one would be out of my price range. However the experience was so great I'm considering one of their carbon fiber guitars.

I had a lowden o23c. Very unique sound that I loved. Didn't love the neck but could live with it. My dad has it now and I cant get it back. At least it's in the family. Wouldn't have sold it elsewhere. Strongly considering a lowden again, possibly a less expensive Sheeran lowden. I like the comfort ability of smaller guitars but hate the ones that are tinny with bad sounds. I like to strum often but not always.

I've owned 5 or 6 webber's. I love the newer ones. The older ones haven't had enough body to the sound. Favorite was an engleman coco roundbody. Shouldn't have let that one get away...

Had a goodall once. Didn't like neck or sound. Probably not fair to the brand.

I've had breedlove, martins and larrivees that were nice but didn't stick too long

A few hand builds that had nice tone but notes weren't crisp enough when strummed (that is important to me, I dont like muddy strumming)

I've owned many taylors. Appreciated them greatly but my all time favorite is my 1999 514ceab. I found it on craigslist for $600. It was cracked, gouged and frets were wore out from use. I had it repaired and revived and it always speaks back to me. I love the thin neck. Its playability is better than any guitar I've had. Tone is rich and full with great clarity. Responds well to strumming or picking. It's the guitar that has stayed with me and the one I pick up to play (only downside is Fishman pickup sucks)

My other acoustic is my fancy taylor bto. It is beautiful and impressive. has all bells and whistles visually and is a short scale. The Adirondack top gives it the best punch in tone I've had in a taylor. So much to love in this guitar. I'm not dissatisfied with it... yet I always pick up the 514 when I want to play (is there something wrong with me???)

So my quest (or question) is to seek out a guitar that I like like I like my 514 (ie I just want to pick it up and play it all the time) without replicating the 514. Maybe a new tonal experience that is lovely and different but the same ease and comfort in playing. I suppose my budget could be 2-4k. I know I can get into used lowdens, froggys, collings, webber's, etc at that price point. I'm not in a rush and perfectly happy with what I have, but always interested in conversation, advice and trying out new guitars.

Thoughts???

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 06-19-2019, 11:08 AM

If you've owned over 200 guitars I don't think anyone here is going to have a satisfactory answer for you.

That said, I've tried a couple of 814dlx, they are really nice and probably like an upgraded 514. I'm not a fan of the Taylor sound, but this model is bright, clear, loud for it's size, great intonation and playability.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:13 AM

My favorite Taylor I owned was a 612e Grand Concert, very warm nice sound for a nice small size and gorgeous stained flamed maple b/s/n. The 614 is also really nice but maybe too close to your 514. I only have one acoustic now, an OM28 and I don't imagine I'd ever part with it.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:21 AM

I've had basically every kind of taylor. I really enjoy them and think my bto is the best they've got. The 514 I have now just happens to have a little bit of that magic that is unique to a particular guitar.

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 06-19-2019, 11:39 AM

You've cast a very wide net, and it's not clear what you've already owned. There's no real answer to your question, so I'll mention some ridiculously specific possibilities.

I had a cedar/mahogany 514 and it was indeed a comfortable guitar with a relatively mellow tone for a Taylor.

Try the slope-shoulder Santa Cruz guitars. My go-to is the Vintage Southerner. Give the RS a try too. I find both comfortable in a 514 kind of way.

I equate the tone of some Collings models with the brightness of Taylor (YMMV), so try a spruce/mahogany Collings OM or 000. They'll be like a 514 on steroids.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I tried the Taylor K24 Builders Edition and was very impressed with it.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-19-2019, 11:56 AM

Thumbs up

You've run the gamut of acoustic guitars...time for a new string experience? Keyboards, mando, uke,....banjo
Old 06-19-2019, 12:01 PM

Both on this forum and over at the umgf it seems that the Martin D28-Modern Deluxe (incl. the D-18MD) and the new Taylor Grand Pacific Builder Edition models have received a fair amount of buzz for bringing a fresh sound.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:20 PM

No mention of the type of music you like to play. I'm listening to Mike Dowling right now and really want go play some resonaters! Couldn't get by without my LG2 for vintagey finger style blues, and that leads me down the Waterloo line. New strings on my 000 Collings, and it has to be one of the finest finger style guitars there are with its 1 13/16th neck. Been learning a few fiddle tunes and now want to hear them on a D-18 or similar. To me the style of music drives the type of guitar I'm interested in.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 06-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusaw View Post
  • my all time favorite is my 1999 514ceab.
  • My other acoustic is my fancy taylor bto. So much to love in this guitar
  • I'm perfectly happy with what I have
Trying to find a guitar to accompany those you already love is tough. Whatever you choose, it's almost guaranteed to fall short in one area or another. So maybe look into something with a different, more unique flavor that intentionally isn't a do-it-all. Try a small-body, or a 12-string, or a resonator, a jumbo, a nylon string, or an archtop. If yours are 14-frets, try a few 12s. And definitely play dome Waterloos.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobblecreek View Post
Both on this forum and over at the umgf it seems that the Martin D28-Modern Deluxe (incl. the D-18MD) and the new Taylor Grand Pacific Builder Edition models have received a fair amount of buzz for bringing a fresh sound.

Oh great thought! I just tried a D-18 Modern Deluxe and I was very impressed.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-19-2019, 12:50 PM

I think you should just stick with your 514 and call it good and not bother with the next 200 that "just didn't quite do it for me".

One great guitar that really speaks to you, and speaks for you, is all you need.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-19-2019, 12:52 PM

Esteban ... and watch all others fall before it!!!
Old 06-19-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
I think you should just stick with your 514 and call it good and not bother with the next 200 that "just didn't quite do it for me".

One great guitar that really speaks to you, and speaks for you, is all you need.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

^^^^^
This. I truly doubt you will be 100% satisfied with any guitar you purchase, at any price. I'm not being a jerk, I'm being serious. I think you have "THE ONE" no need to waste time, and money. I wish I had "THE ONE".
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 PM

OP, I can relate to your position. I assume it isn't that you haven't enjoyed or liked a lot of guitars along the way, you just haven't found many that speak to you and are worth keeping.

I'm going to throw something out there, because I know how I am personally. I think that the joy of guitar for you comes from experimentation and not ownership. Sure, I'd love to find and keep guitars I love, but the joy and rush for me is the journey, not the destination. I have sold many guitars I have liked in order to try something new.

So, that is my advice. Keep your current guitars, and buy something that excites you right now in this moment. Once that moment has run it's course, move on to the next one...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion