The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2018, 02:06 PM

Default Need some advice on fingerstyle guitars

I mainly play fingerstyle. I have a taylor 214ce-FLTD and it sounds great, but I find when I play some really fast Tommy Emmanuel tunes like T.E Ranch, The low strings overpower the high strings. And it's not pleasant to my ears... I also have a maton ebg808te (It was like an impulse buy when I first saw it because Tommy plays that guitar) and all I see is negative comments on how bad it sounds acoustically. That has affected me in a way so I have lost inspiration to play that guitar. I really need some advice on what guitar to get for fingerpicking.

Edit: Thank you all for your replies and suggestions!

Last edited by doakez19; 04-11-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Martin 000-18 is very evenly voiced. Great for a variety of musical styles, fingerstyle included.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:43 PM

Martin 00-28vs is a phenomenal fingerstyle guitar. They are pricey to buy new, but depending on where you are you might be able to get a good deal on a used one. It is very full sounding, warm, woody, with a sweet fundamental.
Try one if you can, the mod-v necks arent for everyone though.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 10-20-2018, 02:47 PM

If you like the tone and playability of the Maton, stick with it, play it and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with any of the Matons I've had the pleasure to play, especially plugged in. Too often (in my opinion)
this forum gives information which, however well intentioned, is more about the preferences of the people giving the info rather than for the actual benefit of the person asking for advice. There are plenty of reasons for moving a guitar on (usually at a financial cost) but the advice of strangers on an Internet forum shouldn't be the primary reason.
IMO
Etc.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:00 PM

You can name any guitar and somebody is playing finger style on it, and doing it well. I think it comes down to sound and comfort.

I can tell you what I like (000 size, short scale, 1 3/4 nut and plenty of sustain), but that doesn't mean your preferences should be the same.

If you want a different guitar you should get one, but know that there are plenty of people making really good music on the guitars you own. But ultimately you need to decide what will make you happy. Do that.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-20-2018, 04:10 PM

I'm really liking Avalon these days.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspur View Post
If you like the tone and playability of the Maton, stick with it, play it and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with any of the Matons I've had the pleasure to play, especially plugged in. Too often (in my opinion)
this forum gives information which, however well intentioned, is more about the preferences of the people giving the info rather than for the actual benefit of the person asking for advice. There are plenty of reasons for moving a guitar on (usually at a financial cost) but the advice of strangers on an Internet forum shouldn't be the primary reason.
IMO
Etc.
Bingo !, I am not familiar with the Maton guitars, but, if you like it, it doesn't matter what others think. Enjoy your guitars
Old 10-20-2018, 05:03 PM

doakez19,

I think you need to start playing more guitars at whatever nearby locations you can. Or any friends' guitars. That way you will find the guitar that sings to you. Or better yet, the guitar that makes you sing.

Play (and record if necessary) your Taylor and then your Maton. Your impression of your playing while playing may not be as accurate as you think. What are the differences? Maybe not as much as you think. Do NOT listen to the 'wisdom' of the herd. Find out what works for YOU. This may take a while; please do not get discouraged.

You said you play fingerstyle and 'the low strings overpower the high strings'. Not sure exactly what you mean, or what it sounds like. (There is currently a thread which goes into description of sound, and also that sound is different to different people.) Maybe you could try to lighten up your stroke a little when playing the low strings?

What kind/gauge of strings are you using? Do you use finger picks? Or do you pick with skin or nails?

I am a believer in the player, not the guitar. That is, a decent player should be able to make decent music on a decent guitar. It should be a portable skill.

Having said that, I have one uncomfortable and controversial question for you. (This is currently a hot topic on the forum.) Your Taylor is a layered body guitar as far as I know. What about the Maton? Have you tried a solid body guitar? If so does it play/sound any differently? There is a debate on different aspects of laminate versus solid, and can it be a universal difference. My ears say yes, but that does not mean a laminate is a bad guitar. I have previously owned and still own laminate guitars. Just another factor, which may not be an issue for you.

From my personal standpoint, I like Taylor guitars. I fingerpick (the term I learned 50 odd years ago), and use my nails as picks. My favorite sounding guitar is my Taylor 818e Grand Orchestra, strung with Elixir PB HD lights. Essentially light strings E, A, and D, and medium G, B, and E; .053 through .013. I really love the sounds I get out of that guitar. Frankly I don't know of anybody else that fingerpicks a Grand Orchestra, but it works for me. The key phrase here is that 'it works for me'. I feel the slightly heavier treble strings bring out a better sound than straight lights. And the bass does not drown them out, despite being a large bodied guitar. (And for the record, I also fingerpick everything, including my 12 string Grand Orchestra.)

So good hunting. Play as many guitars as you can get your hands on. This is a journey, which begins with the first step.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 10-20-2018, 07:57 PM

You might also try a little palm-muting of the low strings, if you haven't already worked that into your technique kit. You might also try using slightly lighter low-E and A strings. But of course it is always fun to think about a new guitar. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2018, 08:51 PM

Surprised nobody pointed you at an OM my any maker. I prefer rosewood, but mahogany gets a lot of love. The long scale means you work a little harder, but you get more projection and punch, if your style supports that. As a fairly aggressive picker, I like the long scale quite a bit. And I don't think there is a more versatile guitar than the OM. Mine's a Martin, but there are plenty of other fine examples from different builders, large and small.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 10-20-2018, 09:16 PM

Have I got it right? You 'lost your inspiration' just because some people don't like the guitar that you (and Tommy) like?

The Maton is perfect for what you're looking for. I've got one and I LOVE it. It was not an impulsive purchase for me but rather like a dream come true. And I agree with you on the point that too much bass on a guitar is not good for the 'alternate bass' playing technique.

It's about what YOU like! And with some practice, I do believe most guitars will work fine for TE's songs.

Please don't sell your 808te. I've seem too many similar cases and these guitars deserve more play and respect! Less bass does not make it less of a guitar.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:04 AM

Maton is great plugged but not so un in my opinion. If youre pluggin you cant get a better choice.
The advice to play a lot till you find one you like is the ticket. Everyone likes something different than someone else.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:15 AM

Not sure the OP needs to get a new guitar, but that he should exhaust possibilities with the ones he has. String gauge and playing style are two that come to mind. (With apologies if the 'he' is a 'she'.)

musicman1951 states, "You can name any guitar and somebody is playing finger style on it, and doing it well. I think it comes down to sound and comfort."

If a search is necessary, I don't think that the OP's search should focus on a specific guitar, but rather finding one he bonds with. Guitar mentions and suggestions are well and good, but there needs to be a comparison to other models to be effective. I believe a player does not need a specific model to be a successful fingerpicker. Instead the player needs to know what works for and with himself. Different strokes and all that. Literally, in this case.

Besides, it's not just the guitar brand (and model), but the size, the shape, the woods, set-up, the strings (brand and gauge), et cetera that factor into the right match.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 10-21-2018, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspur View Post
IMO
Etc.
Very well said. I have often thought this as well.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakez19 View Post
I mainly play fingerstyle. I have a taylor 214ce-FLTD and it sounds great, but I find when I play some really fast Tommy Emmanuel tunes like T.E Ranch, The low strings overpower the high strings. And it's not pleasant to my ears... I also have a maton ebg808te (It was like an impulse buy when I first saw it because Tommy plays that guitar) and all I see is negative comments on how bad it sounds acoustically. That has affected me in a way so I have lost inspiration to play that guitar. I really need some advice on what guitar to get for fingerpicking.
+1 on ignore comments about the maton, if you like it! But something to try with either or both instruments is a variety of strings, maybe mixing up the gauges from the sets to lighten the impact of the notes you object to. Talk to folks at a place like Stringsbymail, where you might find just the right advice on strings from people who play...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fingerstyle, guitar, maton