The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-15-2018, 10:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Those amazing Hatcher photos lured me in....2 guitars later and no regrets at all. He is a master maker.

Thanks ukejon! We had some fun builds. I'm working on plans for an all Koa version of your Josie Mahogany multi-scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Beautiful as always Mark, loving the colour combination of this latest build.

Can I ask how you go about making colour selections when it comes to binding, bridge/fretboard and rosette selections?
Sometimes I see you go for high contrasting colours, or other times, very closely coloured timbers. Is this just a case by case decision, or planned in advance?
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

It's a case by case decision. I do like to contrast the binding because guitars have such nice shape and lines and the contrast highlights that. Usually, the contrast is in tone or color but sometimes a very different figure does the trick. Rosettes on the other hand are typically easy to contrast so I'll sometimes purposely not contrast it because it's an unexpected look. Sometimes, a low contrast rosette on a dark top gives a really nice earthy look too.
Overall, I think when your trimming with woods (as opposed to shell etc.) usually it's best to keep the number of different species down to the minimum. Less is more--sometimes. Sometimes more is more.
Hard to make rules and if you do it's hard not to break them!

M

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 06-15-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
It's a case by case decision. I do like to contrast the binding because guitars have such nice shape and lines and the contrast highlights that. Usually, the contrast is in tone or color but sometimes a very different figure does the trick. Rosettes on the other hand are typically easy to contrast so I'll sometimes purposely not contrast it because it's an unexpected look. Sometimes, a low contrast rosette on a dark top gives a really nice earthy look too.
Overall, I think when your trimming with woods (as opposed to shell etc.) usually it's best to keep the number of different species down to the minimum. Less is more--sometimes. Sometimes more is more.
Hard to make rules and if you do it's hard not to break them!

M
Quote:
Hi Zandit75,

I like these Black Diamond strings. The volume is good and there is reduced finger noise. Personally, I tend to prefer bright almost chimey strings like fresh D’Addario PB strings. These are not that. Charlie Chronopoulos who does my sound samples, loved these strings and felt this was the most balanced and versatile guitar he’s heard of mine.
So in short, good quality, volume, and more round tone similar to nickel strings.
I have a set of DR Black Beauties coming that I will try on this guitar and decide from there which set will be on the guitar going to the Woodstock show.

Mark
Thank you very much Mark, this kind of insight is most appreciated!
I really like the look of those Black Diamond strings, they seem to add another dimension to the overall look without looking like every other set of strings out there.

I'm glad we have a similar thought process regarding sometimes less is more, and sometimes more is more!! Taking each decision as it comes, not overplanning everything too much ahead of time.

Thanks again!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 06-16-2018, 12:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Hatcher's Studio 2018

I've started bending sides and getting everything together for them. I like these initial stages of putting a guitar together because it all goes comparably quickly in the beginning. That's the thing about building a guitar, you start out fast and then it goes slower and slower as you close in on finishing it. Also, because of all the accumulating time you're investing the consequences of messing up become greater and greater.

Here is a side being bent:

While that's going on I've started sorting out the trim wood. Here I am cutting a sequence of binding strips:

The advantage of cutting you own binding strips is you know the colors will match and because you've cut them in sequence, you can book match them when they are installed. This shows up particularly back where the binding strips meet up at the end graft. The grain lines will mate up nicely this way. A miniscule detail I know but, why not?

More to come!

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 06-16-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here's a picture to show the silking on this Engelmann top:

Here's a mess of clamps holding the heel block and cutaway together while the glue dries:

Thanks for viewing!

Old 06-20-2018, 08:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Arm Bevel

Here's a picture of the arm bevel getting set up:

Pretty side wood, isn't it? This is just the dry wood. This is really pop when the finish hits!

M

Old 06-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I’ll say. Sides are gorgeous. Really going to have some depth.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Smile Calendar Swimsuit Guitars...

I was checking the old link to Mr. Hatcher's posts last night to see the beauty that is up FS right now...

Then I was sucked in to years worth of posts! Danger!!! Haha

What a mind boggling bevy of beauties Mark has pictured in his ongoing build posts.

I am flabbergasted at all the different varieties and how impossibly well they each are perfect in their uniqueness...

I especially liked the maple/cocobolo as I am expecting my new John Kinnaird in similar looking woods, with double bevels, a port, and a lot of bells and whistles!

Carry on in great health and spirits! And may your herds increase!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-20-2018, 02:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
I’ll say. Sides are gorgeous. Really going to have some depth.
Thanks for commenting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I was checking the old link to Mr. Hatcher's posts last night to see the beauty that is up FS right now...

What a mind boggling bevy of beauties Mark has pictured in his ongoing build posts.

I am flabbergasted at all the different varieties and how impossibly well they each are perfect in their uniqueness...

I especially liked the maple/cocobolo as I am expecting my new John Kinnaird in similar looking woods, with double bevels, a port, and a lot of bells and whistles!

Paul

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, Maple trimmed in Cocobolo has a great look and Maple has a place in most anyone's collection. I'm sure John is making you a great sounding guitar! Congratulations.

Mark

Mark

Old 06-20-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post

Paul
The real danger is this entire section on the forum, having said that, you can easily get sucked in reading through Mark's threads. If I can get my own build anywhere within just 10% near this kind of beauty, I'll be very happy!!!
Old 06-21-2018, 03:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
The real danger is this entire section on the forum, having said that, you can easily get sucked in reading through Mark's threads. If I can get my own build anywhere within just 10% near this kind of beauty, I'll be very happy!!!

Thanks Zandit75! I’m glad you are taking the time to read through my musings and I hope you find them helpful.

Mark

Old 06-21-2018, 09:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Kerfing

Here is a picture of the kerfing being clamped. I've taken a lot of these pictures over the years so this shot is an effort to be different. An ode to clamps if you will ;

Thanks for following along!
Mark

Old 06-22-2018, 09:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Back Kerf

I got the back part of the side set all cleaned up and the kerfing on today:

There were a few other things to do also like adding some support for a future sound port using a couple additional laminates on the upper bout.
We'll have the body closed up next week.

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Old 06-22-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks Zandit75! I’m glad you are taking the time to read through my musings and I hope you find them helpful.

Mark
Most definitely Mark. I've only been on this forum for about 3yrs but the small amount of information that I've been able to pick up from master luthiers like yourself is invaluable!!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Some years ago I designed a new location for the neck strap button on cutaway guitars. Having it recessed a bit into the body keeps it out of the way, yet still easily accessible and very secure. This was a trick I learned from the improved deck rigging designs on modern kayaks;

It's a little extra work but, it's included with a cutaway. In order to set up I select a block of whatever wood the binding is going to be and laminate the purfling lines on the one side I won't be able to get to later. This is then cut through the sides into the heel block. Now there will be the wood to cut into to create the facet and properly anchor the strap button:

So there you have it!
Mark

Old 06-24-2018, 07:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Update on Maple Josie

Lust a quick update on the quilted Maple small jumbo Josie Model. Here's a quick peek with the first gloss coat on:

Should have finish completed in maybe two weeks!

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop