The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Probably redundant to say so . . . but all mine is quartered. The point being that I couldn't say. I notice the flooring guys put it in whichever way, and I have never notice any worn Brazilian Cherry flooring.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 PM

Thanks Bruce...
Old 07-25-2014, 11:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Just received a scan of some pictures of me I had not seen before. These are 1977 in Vancouver, BC at the corner of 13th and Hemlock. The guitar is a "Minerva", made in Vancouver Pre WWII I was told at the time. It was an all mahogany carved guitar that I put PU's into. The woman is Diana (lost touch when she moved to Oz), the kid is Whizzeroo (honest) who for some reason changed his name to George when he grew up, and the dog is Moose. Whiz and Moose were from the family of Rick Scott, who had a band called "Pied Pumpkin". One of the members, Joe Mock, was my first actual guitar customer, and another, Shari Ulrich, was my first wife. Those were some days!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Just received a scan of some pictures of me I had not seen before. These are 1977 in Vancouver, BC at the corner of 13th and Hemlock. The guitar is a "Minerva", made in Vancouver Pre WWII I was told at the time. It was an all mahogany carved guitar that I put PU's into. The woman is Diana (lost touch when she moved to Oz), the kid is Whizzeroo (honest) who for some reason changed his name to George when he grew up, and the dog is Moose. Whiz and Moose were from the family of Rick Scott, who had a band called "Pied Pumpkin". One of the members, Joe Mock, was my first actual guitar customer, and another, Shari Ulrich, was my first wife. Those were some days!
Wow. Life is good.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 07-25-2014, 12:52 PM

Did WhizzeROO make it downunder too? Maybe a road trip to Nimbin is in order when next you visit.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
RIP Moose, I imagine he was a good dog. The kind of dog that would chase his own tail for hours on end.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Whizzeroo and Diana were not related. Diana went off with her man, Nigel. I have heard about George occasionally, who has remained on the artier side of life, probably had no choice given his upbringing. Moose was allegedly a pure bred poodle, we all had longer hair then. I think of Moose as the first truly great dog I ever met.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Moose was allegedly a pure bred poodle, we all had longer hair then. I think of Moose as the first truly great dog I ever met.
He must have been a fine dog.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Let's hope this is no dog.

Here's the new single 0 with it's first coat of Varnish:

Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

I just discovered I had failed to post the first coat post some hours ago. So I did it now. And here's the next one.

The humidity snap is over and it's pretty warm for Northern California today. The varnish is drying hours faster than normal, and I got a second coat on this afternoon despite putting the first one on around noon, not particularly early. It looks pretty much just like the first coat, of course, but I thought I'd show you how pretty the Koa binding looks next to the BRownWood:
Old 07-26-2014, 08:35 PM

Beautiful work as usual Bruce! Are you going to explain why you'd choose one way to join the Walnut back plates vs another? I'm interested to find out which way you'd join them and why. Thanks
Old 07-27-2014, 10:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have 6 sets of that walnut, and will likely join it both ways by the time I'm done. Here are my considerations.

1)I prefer the tighter grain toward the join.
2)I prefer the grain lines to form an eye rather than an hour glass.
3)I prefer the straighter grain toward the join.
4)I prefer the least run out on the join.
5)I look for a compelling graphic.

This walnut will not give me all of these in either juxtaposition. The first picture gives me 2 and 5, which are really just aesthetic considerations. The second gives me 1, 3, and 4, which are much more structural considerations. The tighter grain is likely denser and stiffer. Straighter lines/fiber will give a better join. Less run out makes a stronger material, particularly when as thin as a guitar back on a Sexauer.

One more crucial consideration would be to what degree the material is quarter sawn, with the more quartered side going to the center, but in this case the wood is extremely close to perfect all the way across, though it doesn't particularly look it.

I did join this back as per the second picture.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well, the humidity spike lasted five days, and now it's been gone five days, so I went ahead and put the braces onto the OM's back:

The weather for these last few days has been absolutely perfect for finishing, and I have got five 0f the expected 7 coats of varnish on the single 0. So far, knock on wood, it's never gone better!
Old 07-30-2014, 03:29 AM

Beautiful!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

I got the back on the OM yesterday, and today I bound the top. I am using a top purfling I found at NAMM a few years back for the first time. I like the visual feel of it with the VERY dark back and sides, and there is a red ring in the center of the rosette which will tie into well when the finish is on, I imagine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop