The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-21-2015, 12:42 PM

I prefer the first and guess that's the GR.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Yeah, but where would my little tiger live? :-) Do you know of iso's that will handle the weight of the barefoots? I don't know what they weigh, I only know I move them with great reluctance. I'd guess maybe 75lbs each?
Both recordings sound really good to me. The second seemed to have a little more "depth" but the first sounds slightly smoother. I'd be delighted to get the quality of either one of your samples in my own recordings. BTW - Whatever else you do keep the little tiger in your setup. Those who discard their mascots do so at their own risk (lol).
Old 03-22-2015, 07:11 AM

A Zoom H4. When I get better so will the gear.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, but where would my little tiger live? :-) Do you know of iso's that will handle the weight of the barefoots? I don't know what they weigh, I only know I move them with great reluctance. I'd guess maybe 75lbs each?
they are sold through the major dealers and on line dealers like Sweetwater ect. who should know.

They list several Barefoot models. Yours are the Micromain 27 correct ? If so yes, this is from their "find the right stand" page. http://www.isoacoustics.com/calculator/#/step2

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-22-2015, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Kev, that's nice that they have that product selector thing. Probably worth trying
Old 03-22-2015, 12:56 PM

Default Foot punching

Does anyone make a Recording footpunch I/O for garage band?

Thx

Wilborn Sidewinder (Braz-Adi)
Wilborn Gloria #1
2 Taylor Baritones
Mcilroy A30c
1960 Martin Nylon Folk
1974 Guild Mark IV
1985 Gibson Les Paul custom
Old 03-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fran asked for someone to post a level-matched comparison of two preamps, and I happen to have such a thing.
...[snip]...
So with those caveats, here's the 2 recordings. A casual poll among friends was split between those who had no preference and those who preferred the GR, but it was a small sample. Since we seem to have a lot of people here with very sophisticated ears and taste, I'd be curious both what you prefer, and what the differences are you hear.
...[snip]....
I listened to the 2 recordings using my equator D5 monitors (in an untreated space). To me, recording A seemed to have more focus/detail and clarity and recording B seemed to have more depth and seemed more open. That said, they are also very close in character to my ear; both being very good recordings. If I had to choose, and for what I like to hear, I'd probably go for A.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-23-2015, 01:15 PM

I'm just getting into recording. My current set up is an iPad Air, an Apogee One for iPad and Mac, and Auria running on the iPad. I'll be using my Miktek PM5 and PM9 for vocals and guitar.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:00 PM

Default Fun with a mobile recording studio

My first attempts have been frustrating at first, but really sort of amazing once I got the most basic hang of it.

I’m talking about my mobile recording rig: Apogee One for iPad, an iPad Air running Auria recording/mixing software, a Mackie CR3 monitor, and an ATH-M50x all on a boomless mic stand.

I hooked it all up and attached a microphone to the Apogee One last night. Then I started Auria and could hear myself through the headphones. We’re cooking with gas now! Then I created a blank track, armed it for recording, and pressed Play.

Woohoo, we’re recording! And the quality of the recording itself (not my voice) is very high! The only comparison I have is my recording using a Zoom H2, and this blows it away. Of course, I'm using a $600 mic so there's that.

Adding track after track is fairly easy. Just “rewind”, create another empty track, arm it, and press Play. I can listen to what the other track(s) is/are doing while recording another. Very cool stuff. And when the whole thing is done, I just put the recording in Dropbox directly from Auria and retrieve it from Dropbox on my PC.

The whole kit and caboodle can be packed away and taken to our practice space, or someone’s living room or a school or whatever. And this opens up some cool ways of exploring. I can lay down a couple guitar parts and my vocals, and then email just that to the band asking them to come up with some ideas for their parts. Then a couple weeks later, we can get together individually. If we want, we can record as many takes/versions as they like to use as reminders or jumping-off points or whatever.

I can see it as a nice way to foster multipart harmonies, lead guitar riffs, bass riffs, drum rhythms. Very cool.

And then of course there’s the possibility of recording a complete album. It’s got the specs. The feel of the album would be different from the first one we made, and I’m going to have to weigh that, but with the right room acoustics and enough time it’s possible to record whole polished songs.

Anyway… cool toy.

Here's an example (sorry about my vocals):
Old 04-11-2015, 02:54 PM

Default Welcoming my new Board.

Just received my new board....A Soundcraft MFXI 20 w/Lexicon Effects. I`m in Heaven!!. works well with ALL the Toys.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:40 PM

Default Post your recording acoustic setup

Currently my recording rig is a Sony M-10 recorder. A pair of . Nakamichi CM-300 with a pair of CP1 cardioid capsules, a pair of CP2 Omni capsules, a pair of CP4 shotgun capsules, Church Audio CA-14 Omni and Cardioid mics, CA-9200 preamp, Bogen mic stand and collecting dust: my old Sony TCD5M.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)
Old 04-16-2015, 01:16 AM

Guitar: stereo pair of Bayerdynamic M930 mics, through an Edirol interface into Logic. Great, natural sounding Mics. You can hear this here:

https://soundcloud.com/ndyowell/blue-lament

Vocals: Mojave 301 FET into Golden Age DLX preamp, Logic.

I also use a Zoom H6 at times both using built in mics (under-rated) and the M930s.

Very good mics recorded in a room that has had some acoustic treatment. Not a massive financial investment but a decent one built up over time.
Martin J40
Old 04-17-2015, 10:31 AM

I had read loads of times about recording yourself to help in the learning process. So I thought I would give it a go.

After reading a few good reviews I bought the Focusrite Studio package - centered around the Scarlett 2i2 interface.

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-in...carlett-studio

After quite a bit of fussing getting the software in and running I was away.

There is a lot to take in and I am sure it is overkill if you just want a simple recording.
But once you get going it works great and I am having a bit of fun playing, then singing over etc.

I just wonder how long it will be before I have something I am brave enough to post on here

Steve
Old 05-24-2016, 06:39 AM

Default Used to be

I had a humble post production setup for years; most of my recording was done live and in the field. I ran into that brick wall where, if I was going to go any deeper it would be at the expense of my day job. So the studio evolved into special projects, and that evolved back into a hobby.

Most of my recording was done on an AKAI DPS16. It has mind blowing preamps and really lousy I/O. If I was doing live sound, the chain would be 10 - 16 lines in to a Mackie ONYX mixer, two or three AUX sends out to the DPS with submixes, and at least one ambient mic dedicated to the DPS. Usually I would record two or four channels simultaneously on the DPS. Using a close ambient signal made all the difference in a live recording.

That meant using dynamic mics for the most part. I also used a Studio Projects C3 or a pair of SP B1s for ambient signal. Chain was simple - direct to the board, no coloring or eq, aux to the recorder. As long as I didn't clip the signal all was well. Any signal massaging was post-recording and usually that would be limited to compression, volume envelopes and maybe a little bit of cleanup work. I have Event monitors.

The DPS has its own dedicated software. In the computer I use Reaper and Adobe Audition. I like Audition's editing capabilities, especially it's spectral editor. At the time I was doing this Audition was way ahead of the field in this area; the gap has since closed and Adobe doesn't seem to be interested in the product. Reaper, on the other hand, keeps ahead of the pack.

These days most of my recording is for ideas or hobby stuff. I'm using an iPad with a Tascam im2 stereo mic (which is cheap and effective), tracking with Voice Edit Pro, which has excellent file management features. I'll send that to the cloud and download to my laptop.

I have an 8-track OTARI reel machine waiting for the day I can pay proper attention to it. It works but is not presently reliable, and it needs some outboard stuff I don't yet have. Nothing a fistfull of C-notes won't fix. But the preamps are pretty sweet - and there's eight of em. It's also about 150 pounds and takes up half a closet.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

Last edited by CaffeinatedOne; 05-24-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:40 AM

Thumbs up sometimes, less is more

sometimes, less is more... i was recording recently with the bare minimum... taylor, akg mic, ua apollo and protools..
here is the result www.reverbnation.com/bergzea

b.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD