The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 07:35 PM

Sorry I was busy with work. What great replies and help. The coated string replies ring true bi use Elixers on my other guitars- I will try them next on the Alvarez, I used to use finger ease on my electrics back in the day.... will try it again and yes as I suspected technique and the pronounced treble of a small guitar I sure have something to do with.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:59 AM

Regarding technique, if it helps you to slide on an anchor string between positions try to train yourself to slide on the higher unwound strings
Old 06-20-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuksan View Post
The reason I tried Elixirs for the first time was because a professional finger style player who was going to play my guitars requested them. One of the things she likes about them is reduced squeaks.
I find that Elixirs squeak as much or more than other strings that I will typically use. I don't believe the coating (at least on nanos) make one whit of difference in terms of squeak (at least for me). Until 2 weeks ago my Taylors were strung with Elixirs and I have recognized squeak as a problem and have been working to modify my technique to minimize it. Personally I think it is the player and the instrument more than the strings.

I just tried an experiment with three guitars in rapid order. My 614 is strung with SUS strings and 814 and D35 are currently sporting Gibson Masterbuilt PB's. So I took each guitar and made no effort to contain any squeak. I found that the 614/SUS combination had slightly less squeak than the 814/Gibsons... but the D35 has MUCH MORE prounounced squeak. I think I get less finger squeak with DR Sunbeams, but I don't have any guitars loaded with them right now.

Do they make flatwound strings for acoustics?

I'll go back to what I was saying and recommend a string lubricant to help reduce the friction which beyond hand movement is
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-20-2019, 08:52 AM

I played around with my technique a bit last night. I can reduce the squeak some what by lightening up just as I move up the fretboard, it will take some practice to adjust to gain back speed and timing but worth it. I have a heavy grip anyway so probably a good thing.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxan View Post
I played around with my technique a bit last night. I can reduce the squeak some what by lightening up just as I move up the fretboard, it will take some practice to adjust to gain back speed and timing but worth it. I have a heavy grip anyway so probably a good thing.
This is what I found as well. When I improved my technique and lessened the tension on my grip then I produced less squeak. I also started using Guitar Hands Cleaning Lotion on my hands and calluses (used as directed) and that also helped make my calluses have a more supple feel which lessened the friction on the strings.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion