The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-01-2018, 08:45 AM

Default Guitar stores to visit

Hi,

I'm going on a spontaneous trip down to Baltimore from from Toronto and I was wondering if there are any guitar store to check out (relatively) on the way. Also, any good ones in Baltimore would be great. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2018, 08:52 AM

Appalachian Bluegrass in Catonsville is always worth a visit.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:10 AM

Check out Guitar Exchange, just down the street from Appalachian Bluegrass.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleBluesMan View Post
Check out Guitar Exchange, just down the street from Appalachian Bluegrass.
Will do thank you!
Old 09-01-2018, 10:31 AM

Catonsville is kind of a hot bed for music stores. Also down the street from Appalachian Bluegrass (which is an awesome store) is Bill's (kind of a guitar / music superstore) which some people like and some don't - but does have a great selection. There is a Guitar Center in Towson which as far as Guitar Centers go is one of the better ones and usually has some great higher end used. In the past we have seen a Martin HDO (Grand old opry) and a Taylor Liberty Tree. In Westminster there is Coffee's which is a great Taylor dealer.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tim T View Post
Catonsville is kind of a hot bed for music stores. Also down the street from Appalachian Bluegrass (which is an awesome store) is Bill's (kind of a guitar / music superstore) which some people like and some don't - but does have a great selection. There is a Guitar Center in Towson which as far as Guitar Centers go is one of the better ones and usually has some great higher end used. In the past we have seen a Martin HDO (Grand old opry) and a Taylor Liberty Tree. In Westminster there is Coffee's which is a great Taylor dealer.
Thank you for all the info... I will try to check them out haha
Old 09-02-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
If your only gonna have time to visit one, this is the one. I took lessons at ABG back in the late 80's and I take all my stuff there to get worked on too. I bought my HD28V from ABG as well. Same owners still run the place. We're all getting older together. LOL

But...Walk up the street (literally about 200 yards) to Bill's Music if you want to see a full line instrument dealer. Both of those businesses have been in business well over 30 years, Bill's even longer. Bill's was Guitar Center before there ever was a Guitar Center. I bought my first and second lawsuit Les Pauls and Peavy practice amp there in 1982-4

While your in Catonsville, stop in at Peace of Pizza for lunch. You wont regret it. They're in the parking lot behind and off to the side of Bill's on Mellor Ave.

Last edited by Johnny K; 09-02-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:04 PM

Isn’t there supposed to be a good music store in Annapolis? That’s not too far from Baltimore, is it?

whm
Old 09-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

That would be Garrett Park Guitars in Annapolis. Definitely worth a visit.
1999 Webber Roundbody
2001 Bourgeois 12 Fret DS-260
2002 Martin D-18 GE Sunburst
2004 Martin 0000-18 GE
1991 G&L ASAT Special
Old 09-02-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Isn’t there supposed to be a good music store in Annapolis? That’s not too far from Baltimore, is it?

whm
Garrett Park Guitars. They are the collectors who sell guitars. They are a small shop, but they do get the occasional gem. They are also Breedlove dealers.

The place I would also go too just for the bizarre experience of used instrument sales in a free-for-all Turkish Bazaar style is Atomic Music on RT-1 near College Park. It's worth your time, trust me. You can wheel and deal on everything. Nothing is new. Everything is used. I have bought a lot of stuff there. like that '02 Seagull Artist Series i am playing in my avatar. I bought it and drove it to Appalachian Bluegrass the same day and dropped it off for a set up and small ding repair.

Last edited by Johnny K; 09-02-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:39 PM

I would say that the stores mentioned above really cover it. There are a couple of stores in Northern Virginia just outside of Washington that have guitars to see as well. If you have another day sometime, that trip can be worth it. You can get a decent sampling of Huss and Daltons to see for your time. Wonderful luthier David Maccubin works on guitars a few days a week at Appalachian Bluegrass. You may even find one or two of his guitars there on occasion. They are wonderful and he is a great guy. Appalachian Bluegrass would top my list. Should be able to get a really good Maryland crab cake for lunch in Catonsville too. Welcome to the area. Enjoy.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 09-02-2018, 06:44 PM

Haven't been there in many years, but Make'N'Music in Frederick had an extensive selection of Taylors - bought my first one there in '96...
Old 09-03-2018, 12:47 PM

Default Stop at The Fretted Buffalo on your way down or back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twg1996 View Post
Hi,

I'm going on a spontaneous trip down to Baltimore from from Toronto and I was wondering if there are any guitar store to check out (relatively) on the way. Also, any good ones in Baltimore would be great. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
You'd be missing out if you don't stop at our shop in Buffalo! We just opened in April and aren't that well known yet, but we are certainly worth a visit and we're just a few minutes from the Peace Bridge.

We have the world's best selection of Avalon guitars, plus one of the best Furch collections in the US, not to mention Bourgeois and Huss & Dalton.

Call ahead and we'll set up a special appointment for you!

See most of our listings on reverb.com by clicking below.

Hope to see you soon!
-Bill-
AVALON * MCILROY * FURCH/STONEBRIDGE * HUSS & DALTON * BOURGEOIS

466 Amherst Street Buffalo New York 14207
[email protected]
www.thefrettedbuffalo.com
716-913-6487

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
baltimore, guitar, stores