The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-27-2018, 12:16 PM

Default Gene Autry Roundup Guitar

Anyone have any experience restoring the Gene Autry Roundup Guitar? I picked one up recently and want to see if I can do anything with it myself. It is basically in good condition, but the action is very high from the 5th fret on. Not sure if it is the neck or something else. The bridge is in very good condition there is a minor crack in the top lower bout. Lower bout also has a slight bulge behind the bridge. Is there any index that can lead me to when it was made. There is a number stamped inside, but no label. Pretty sure it is around 1932. It has been stored in an old attic down south for umpteen years and looks like it has had a lot of playing in the old days. Any help would be welcome.
Al B
Old 08-27-2018, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

There are a couple of versions, the earlier with a stencil design, and the later a bit more "deluxe" with a larger rounded body shape in sunburst, and Autry's name on the fingerboard. Which version do you have? Got pics? I believe both were made by Regal.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

There was another poster here who got one of those guitars. He sent it up here;

http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/index.html

This guy is the expert. He put it back in perfect vintage condition.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:31 AM

Here is an image of the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
gene autry, guitar, roundup, vintage acoustic