The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-28-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Was it expensive to put it in aftermarket?
I did it myself. The guitar isn't the same level as your Martin, so an amateur installed soundport isn't the end of the world. I would have a professional do a Martin like yours.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:38 PM

Just ordered a set of Ernie Ball aluminum medium-lites. Perhaps that will give me a little boost in sound and will be enough.

I want to do everything I can before I give up on this guitar because the tone is oh so sweet and it's extremely playable. And it looks good too.

Martin-OMC-161-sm.jpg
Old 10-28-2019, 06:43 PM

+1

Try Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings. They are by miles the loudest strings I have ever used. Great projection from these. I was taken back by how much more volume I got and they are nice and tight but not to tight as to choke out that Martin tone everyone loves.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:12 PM

My OM-18 is not the loudest guitar I own, but it is not overly quiet. Perhaps, the problem is the all Ovankol body?
Old 10-28-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I'm loving my new Martin OMC-16 with Ovangkol top, back and sides except for one thing---it's a very quiet guitar. I have been thinking what things I could do (short of always using an amp) to get some more volume. The only two I can come up with would be to get a luthier to drill a sound port and/or replace the bridge pins with titanium pins.

Any opinions on those two ideas or any other idea. Other than the volume this is an outstanding guitar.

Note. I primarily am referring to the volume when playing fingerstyle.
I also play primarily fingerstyle.
I have an Alvarez that I KNOW was loud and resonant after its first string change.
I pulled it out and it was easy playing still. But the sound was gone.
I put on fresh strings and my guitar came back to life.

That said, as a fingerstyle player primarily, I find that I prefer to play the lightest strings I can get away with.
13’s, for me have a load of volume, but sound kind of choked to me.
I’ve pretty much gone back to 11’s on most of the guitars as well.

If this is a new to you guitar, have it set up for your style and string preference.
My friend and luthier, has set up my “recalcitrant” guitar and in making them easier to play, gave them a voice. A good set up
along with a crack repair, just turned my new to me Guild 2512 from a “peashooter” sound wise, Into a cannon.
I used to think a set up only helped playability.
Then I learned that the ability to play the guitar as easily as possible made me louder.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 10-28-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Have you ever tried playing with a thumbpick and fingerpicks? I was dissatisfied with the power and richness of my tone about 10 years ago and decided to try a thumbpick in combination with Pro Pik Fingertones. Nothing. NOTHING will give you a volume boost like thumb and fingerpicks. You will also get a lot more richness and shimmer to your tone.

I wouldn’t cut a sound port in your guitar. The perceived volume may increase but you may not like the sound spectrum. You might get a boost in mids and trebles that you don’t like.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:46 PM

Default A thought

OP: How about selling it and purchasing one that suits you? Any thrashing around making 'improvements', I think, is just bringing the guitar closer to being unsalable and worthless. Picks and strings, sure, but comments above about a guitar having is own voice ring true to me.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:10 PM

I think you'll like the Aluminum Bronze strings. They can liven up a quiet guitar, but can sound strident on a lively one. I just put a set on my Epi Hummingbird and I'm pleased with the added dynamic range and the volume boost. In addition to being a little louder, the bass notes are deeper and the highs sparkle a bit more.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:18 PM

buy a different guitar
Old 10-28-2019, 09:43 PM

Poor room acoustics may be a big part of the problem. Try playing in a bathroom or hallway to hear the difference. You might be able to use a smaller room with better acoustics for a lot of your playing.
Also, as previously mentioned, high humidity is a sound killer.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
I also play primarily fingerstyle.
I have an Alvarez that I KNOW was loud and resonant after its first string change.
I pulled it out and it was easy playing still. But the sound was gone.
I put on fresh strings and my guitar came back to life.

That said, as a fingerstyle player primarily, I find that I prefer to play the lightest strings I can get away with.
13’s, for me have a load of volume, but sound kind of choked to me.
I’ve pretty much gone back to 11’s on most of the guitars as well.

If this is a new to you guitar, have it set up for your style and string preference.
My friend and luthier, has set up my “recalcitrant” guitar and in making them easier to play, gave them a voice. A good set up
along with a crack repair, just turned my new to me Guild 2512 from a “peashooter” sound wise, Into a cannon.
I used to think a set up only helped playability.
Then I learned that the ability to play the guitar as easily as possible made me louder.
As for the difference in gauges, have you tried this: tune down to D and use a capo to get the strings back up to E. The strings will have something like the reduced tension of 11-gauge strings but have the full resonance of the bass. I think the strings will be louder too but I can't swear by that because the lowered tension may not drive the top to resonate as much. Anyway, it's an idea to try if you like.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-28-2019, 10:13 PM

I'd first check and see what you hear in the sweet spot if you know any good local acoustic players. I'd also consider using/borrowing a Tone Rite to see if it loosens up. I know the latter is somewhat controversial 'round here.

I'd think the top being a hardwood isn't doing you any favors.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
As for the difference in gauges, have you tried this: tune down to D and use a capo to get the strings back up to E. The strings will have something like the reduced tension of 11-gauge strings but have the full resonance of the bass. I think the strings will be louder too but I can't swear by that because the lowered tension may not drive the top to resonate as much. Anyway, it's an idea to try if you like.
All my Six string guitars are tuned to Eb.
I have 12’s on a couple tuned down and I love the way i can feel it in my chest.

The 12’s are tuned to D.
I like the sound. And the ease.
I admit that with the Guild, it has suffered in its life before me.
I intend to string it as light as I can and never tune it above Eb.
My Takamine is the Nokia Phone of guitars.
It’s got 11-50’s tuned to D at present.
It sounds marvelous.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 10-28-2019, 10:29 PM

I know some people adhere to the "flesh only" fingerstyle technique, but I could never get adequate tone or volume without a thumb pick and strong, well shaped fingernails. Fortunately my nails are strong and I can really "dig in" when necessary. Many people have much thinner nails, cannot, and would benefit from fingerpicks.

A thumb pick feels awkward, at first, but with effort and practice will feel normal, as will, I suspect, finger picks. Just ask any banjo player.

I think they will create a more demonstrable volume/tone increase than simply changing strings.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 10-29-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
All my Six string guitars are tuned to Eb.
I have 12’s on a couple tuned down and I love the way i can feel it in my chest.

The 12’s are tuned to D.
I like the sound. And the ease.
I admit that with the Guild, it has suffered in its life before me.
I intend to string it as light as I can and never tune it above Eb.
My Takamine is the Nokia Phone of guitars.
It’s got 11-50’s tuned to D at present.
It sounds marvelous.
I've found I try to tune to D for a different, and perhaps stupid, reason: when I play lead I tend to get confused as the fingerboard dots don't seem to jive with what I'm playing. I generally play only in first and second positions. I'm fine with playing chords and some chord-based fills at Eb, however.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion