The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-28-2019, 11:55 AM

Default Remedies for a "quiet" guitar - THE RESULTS ARE IN!

I'm loving my new Martin OMC-16 with Ovangkol top, back and sides except for one thing---it's a very quiet guitar. I have been thinking what things I could do (short of always using an amp) to get some more volume. The only two I can come up with would be to get a luthier to drill a sound port and/or replace the bridge pins with titanium pins.

Any opinions on those two ideas or any other idea. Other than the volume this is an outstanding guitar.

Note. I primarily am referring to the volume when playing fingerstyle.

UPDATE:
I put on some Erinie Ball Aluminums and also some titanium bridge pins. Wow! There has been a noticeable increase in volume. Maybe not as loud as my other guitars but close enough that I will be happy to keep this gem.

I wish I knew how much was due to the pins vs the strings. Maybe the next string change I'll remove one from the equation.

Last edited by Rosewood99; 11-04-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:05 PM

Strum harder.

Experiment with different strings and picks before you cut any holes in it.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-28-2019, 12:06 PM

Heavier strings, heavier pick, harder pick material, pick behind the soundhole, and pick more forcefully... all with diminishing returns at some point. Sometimes guitars simply have a voice they prefer to speak with, and it's better to embrace it.

A sound port does marginally improve projection to the player, but it doesn't actually make the guitar objectively louder.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:08 PM

Sound ports do not do a good job of projecting mids and highs to the player in my experience. I install them on almost all of my guitars still and loved every one of them but still wish they would give me more mids and highs. Got gobs of volume.

Try Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings. They are by miles the loudest strings I have ever used. Great projection from these. I was taken back by how much more volume I got and they are nice and tight but not to tight as to choke out that Martin tone everyone loves.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Strum harder.

Experiment with different strings and picks before you cut any holes in it.
I primarily play fingerstyle.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I primarily play fingerstyle.
Do you use skin, fingernails or tip addons. I find metal finger tips give tons of volume.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Honestly, unless it's really bogged down by too much humidity, or dead strings, it might be time to shop for another guitar; or get used to the quieter voice.

None of these things will really appreciably add volume and also maintain the tone you like.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 10-28-2019, 12:57 PM

New uncoated strings, fingernails or harder pick.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:03 PM

A good luthier may be able to give advice if sanding the braces down a little bit will increase the responsiveness for you--but then there is always the warranty issue when you mod a guitar.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post

A sound port does marginally improve projection to the player, but it doesn't actually make the guitar objectively louder.
Projection towards me is what I would be looking for. I'll have to find out how much a luthier would charge to see if it's worth it.

Quote:
Try Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings. They are by miles the loudest strings I have ever used. Great projection from these. I was taken back by how much more volume I got and they are nice and tight but not to tight as to choke out that Martin tone everyone loves.
Never knew that. Might be worth trying and not much downside.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Honestly, unless it's really bogged down by too much humidity, or dead strings, it might be time to shop for another guitar; or get used to the quieter voice.
I agree with this. Although some guitars gain volume when they open up, it's unlikely that a quiet guitar will become anything other than quiet in the future. Before selling it, however, you may want to experiment with different strings. Maybe PBs?
Old 10-28-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I agree with this. Although some guitars gain volume when they open up, it's unlikely that a quiet guitar will become anything other than quiet in the future. Before selling it, however, you may want to experiment with different strings. Maybe PBs?
It would be ashame to get rid of it because the tone and playability are excellent. I think I may give the Ernie Ball aluminums a shot. Maybe it will give a smidge more volume and I can then get used it it. If not I still will have a set of new strings.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I think I may give the Ernie Ball aluminums a shot. Maybe it will give a smidge more volume and I can then get used it it.
Yes, this is what I would recommend. I have a '68 Kay Country (solid spruce and mahogany) that has a rich, woody, mahogany tone. It's a quiet guitar, with a slightly smaller sound hole. I first tried DA EJ16's and it was ok but a switch to Ernie Ball 2566 Aluminum Bronze Medium-Lights (.012 - .054) increased the volume and tone spectrum, all the way around. They turned an ok sounding guitar into a very nice sounding guitar. I've had them on for 4 months and they still sound great and are not a problem to play. If you give them a try, follow-up on how you liked them.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
A good luthier may be able to give advice if sanding the braces down a little bit will increase the responsiveness for you--but then there is always the warranty issue when you mod a guitar.
Yes shave the braces down and scallop them.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

I’ll recommend DR Rare and DR Sunbeam strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion