The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romancandle View Post
I bought a Guild M-20 last year that I was kinda on the fence about. The past month I have been telling myself this is "the one". I love it! Late at night I can just sit down and play it without annoying the family. It is also really comfortable and easy to play. I have 6 other acoustics that I'm thinking of selling.
I'm not sure I'll ever find the "One" if I keep trying other guitars..
But what keeps them in the stable Longer, is ease of playing with and without a Capo...How it sounds Overdriven...Palm muting etc..,
Bonding is a personal thing that can be interrupted by a another pretty face
Bonding/The One is done over time, what makes you bring her home might not be what you thought it was the night before.

Remember...there are always prettier faces and if you let yourself look you might lose the "One"

WAIT...Are we talking about guitars?
Old 10-13-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

I sold a Clint Bear "Jefferson" this past summer that was probably the one...to get a Breedlove that I thought would be the one...it wasn't...really regretting that....but...I get my McCollum GA tomorrow which I feel confident will also be the one...until the next the one!

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 10-13-2019, 01:43 PM

"The one" for what? Classical? Fingerstyle blues? Bluegrass?
Old 10-13-2019, 05:29 PM

It’s definitely my African Blackwood/European Spruce Beneteau M. It really inspires me each time I pick it up. I’ve considered selling it just because I feel like it’s too nice for my ability as a player but I just can’t bring myself to let it go. Really honored to have such a nice instrument. And just for reference, I’ve owned Greenfield, Olson, Beauregard, Goodall, Applegate, Huss and Dalton, Langejan, Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Lowden and other guitars.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:04 PM

I found, "the one" in 1980, and she still puts up with me.
And she, thankfully, does not make me be monogamous with guitars.
So...I also don't have "the one" while I have "ones" I certainly don't want to part with.
My most recent acquisition, a Collings OM2h SB is a culmination of learning about my abilities, hand strength, neck preferences, and tonal needs. It may make it to "the almost one." So far, it continues to charm me.
But, my heart has a soft spot for other sounds as well.
I own a unique guitar made by Rick Micheletti, and if the neck sometimes didn't seem a little wide, it could be "the almost one." That one is a heck of a guitar.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 10-14-2019, 06:42 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yeah, my gal, my lovely wife, gave me a Gibson ES-335 back in 2007. It has since become the center of my studio kit.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-14-2019, 09:18 AM

About 2 years ago, here at AGF, I found The One - Northwood mini-jumbo from (IMO) master luthier John McQuarrie. Everything about it is excellent - tone, volume, playability, comfort, design, how the neck feels, how it sits on my lap ... ok, I’ll stop. I also own two Martins, which I have not played since the Northwood joined the family.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:57 AM

Electric it has to be my Burns Marvin
Acoustic my OODB JT gets the vote
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 10-14-2019, 11:56 AM

The one that is in my hands at the time.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:59 AM

My 1928 (shipped '31) Gibson L-5 is my "one" in the sense that barring a financial crisis, I will never part with it, and my heirs will eventually decide on who gets to be its next caretaker.

I bought it from Stan Jay at Mandolin Brothers in NYC in 2013, not too long before he passed. I was in the shop for a repair on an unrelated instrument, and not looking for anything like it. Although as a long time archtop and Gibson history nut, I represented its prime target market.

The L-5 had just arrived at the shop and was not yet listed for sale. Stan intended to re-fret it first. Ever the charming salesman, he finessed me into a $100 down payment with "right of first refusal" while it got re-fretted. "At least twenty people have this on their store wish list" - he said.

Stan was kind enough to allow me to pay monthly installments, which I covered as I sold a few very nice guitars. I ended up not needing to withdraw any money from savings, which was a relief.

While this is not the guitar I always want to play, it is both a genuine historical artifact and a truly exceptional instrument, and I do play it often. While not literally irreplaceable, it is close, as the neck has the perfect smooth C profile from '28-'29 (no trace of a V), and is made of one solid piece of flamed maple at that - I've only seen a couple others like it. It is also from a brief period around the time that Maybelle Carter and Eddie Lang also acquired their L-5s.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:32 PM

This has always been the one. Just something about the sound and feel of her.
https://imgur.com/gallery/2exYNgY
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 10-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

So far a Bourgeois Vintage OM.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:47 PM

This is right in my wheelhouse at present. I traded a Bowerman era Breedlove Revival DR a few years ago. There’s another available locally and I'm nearly ready for the next purchase (whether that or something other). Loved everything about it except the D ergonomics. Fantastic neck, flawlessly constructed, and - while I get that it’s not for everyone - the sort of West Coast riff on an East Coast melody in terms of tone rings my bell.

So, the question before the committee (of one) is, do you try and get along with the big body, knowing all the good that comes with, or do you keep pressing forward? Leaning toward the latter, but the undertow is strong.

Last edited by mischultz; 10-14-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I have yet to find 'the one' and I wonder if there even is such a thing for me. There have been probably three or four guitars over the past several years that I thought were 'the one' but they all end up going away....
Wow, that sure sounds familiar...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-14-2019, 07:22 PM

My "one" came as part of two. i was married in June and after taking me for a factory tour at the martin factory my wife (" the one") bought me a 2018 HD28
" the one"which is the guitar I've heard in my head all these years Being left handed has hindered my chances of playing lots of quality guitars over the years. My wife and the HD28 have taught me the difference between good and
""THE ONE"it only took 76 yrs. to find them both.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion