The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I don't describe the Lowden sound other than to say that when I hear a full, rich, loud, balanced acoustic guitar, the first thing I think of is "I bet that's a Lowden". They are among the best sounding acoustic guitars I've ever heard. Avalon's are similar but still missing that "Lowden" something.
As good a description of sound using words that I've read, and the reason I have a Lowden.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-30-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post

Well, by golly, it does...

glass.jpg
Old 09-30-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
SO you would rather buy a more expensive Sheeren Lowden than a much better made Martin jr D?
What would infer it is a lesser guitar man? I'd probably take a Sheeran over the Martin. There's a reason Ed switched
Old 09-30-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

It doesn't matter what guitar Ed Sheeran plays. By the time the sound is processed through his pedalboard and looper system, it could be anything from a Fender Tele, to a Gibson J200 and it would come out sounding like Ed Sheeran. He was given the first Lowden Wee as a gift and he probably liked the idea of playing an Irish guitar instead of an American, made in Mexico guitar. Those Little Martin's are pretty bad anyway.

I'll let you know soon what I think of the Sheeran’s but I think my Dread Jr is safe for now.

Last edited by lowrider; 09-30-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
What would infer it is a lesser guitar man? I'd probably take a Sheeran over the Martin. There's a reason Ed switched
Yes your right and I am wrong. The projection from the Lowden Sheeran will be much better than the Martin jr D. The price of the Lowden Sheeran will be much less than the Martin jr D. The build quality will be better of the Lowden Sheeran because its made in Europe not in Mexico. So now I totally get why he switched.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:37 PM

I actually really dig my Martins from Mexico. I have a uke, d jr and lx1. And believe me I’m skeptical of the Mexican or Asian imports. But the quality is great there and these are a blast to play. The laminates in the Lowden definitely turn me off given my d jr mahogany is all solid. But to each his own. I think it’s great Lowden wants to try and stay in Ireland. The country certainly can use the help economically. I’m just not sure why he’d want to water the brand down with these. What Collings did with Waterloo seems to be the better route if a great luthier wants a lower cost line.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndavis1971 View Post
The country certainly can use the help economically.
...I'm not sure where this view originates from - and I've seen it a few times now on AGF. Ireland has an advanced knowledge-based economy with higher GDP per capita than both the USA and UK - it's 4th in the world by many measures!

I applaud George Lowden for wanting to make this range of guitars in his home country, and I believe there are a great many advantages to manufacturing locally. But Ireland is definitely not a third-world country with a weak economy!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
DUDE...SERIOUSLY!!!

" as he is THE ONLY pop superstar acoustic guitar player at the top of the pop charts anymore..."
Lewis Capaldi?
Old 10-01-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
...I'm not sure where this view originates from - and I've seen it a few times now on AGF. Ireland has an advanced knowledge-based economy with higher GDP per capita than both the USA and UK - it's 4th in the world by many measures!

I applaud George Lowden for wanting to make this range of guitars in his home country, and I believe there are a great many advantages to manufacturing locally. But Ireland is definitely not a third-world country with a weak economy!

Cheers,
David
Thank you David for pointing that out, I was just about to do so yet again! Ireland has virtually full employment, basically everyone who wants a job has one, in fact we import a lot of people to work in our computer industry.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
I think is it a great idea because George is keeping the work, and the jobs, there in Ireland, rather than farming it out to Asia.

Don't YOU think that is a nice idea, adding some hopefully good jobs building guitars to the employment options in Ireland? Especially as a fellow countryman as you are, I would have thought that it would make you happy to know that George was keeping the jobs in country...and building what look to be really nice guitars as well.

It sounds good to me anyway.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
I admire good craftsmanship, where it originates is of very little concern to me. There are very good craftsmen in Ireland making some very fine instruments, I know some of them personally, but I sincerely doubt that there will be much craftsmanship involved in the manufacture of these guitars.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:47 AM

It's nice that the Republic of Ireland is doing so well for itself, but these things (unless I am mistaken) are made in County Down, which is in Northern Ireland.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimibabob View Post
It's nice that the Republic of Ireland is doing so well for itself, but these things (unless I am mistaken) are made in County Down, which is in Northern Ireland.
I have a strong suspicion that Malcolm is quite familiar that Ireland is a bifurcated island.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Quote from Macduff
"So yeah, they are not a full on Lowden, but they are going to sell in the $600-$700 range from the sounds of it, ...
No. They are listed here for $850 - $1,350. Just as George said they would be.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndavis1971 View Post
Switching topics slightly what is the “Lowden” sound? I’ve never played one. Heard one and it sounded nice. I’ve played Martins and Gibsons a lot so know their sound. Curious what people find attractive about Lowden? Also wasn’t Lowden or his workers associated with Avalon and what’s the difference in sound on those?
Lowdens have lots of overtones, some describe as similar to Goodall guitars. Some people love this, and it's very popular for DADGAD players

Lowden was a small workshop which went bankrupt in 1988 or 1989, a group of Lowden-guitar-playing investors rescued the brand and company, forming the Lowden Guitar company (https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/NI022341), and went on to massively expand, making 1000 Lowden guitars a year for 15 years, employing George as a consultant.

I understand George wanted his brand name back, so in 2004, The Lowden guitar company changed its name to Avalon guitars. It is still in the same workshop, with a smaller number of the same staff nowadays. George set up a new factory with new investors, a few miles away.

Avalon use normal bridge pins. Most people agree that the AXE-braced Avalons (i.e. most of them) sound (unsurprisingly) just like the Lowdens that the same guys built in the same workshop for the previous 15 years

Some people prefer the Avalons, some prefer Lowdens
Old 10-02-2019, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I don't describe the Lowden sound other than to say that when I hear a full, rich, loud, balanced acoustic guitar, the first thing I think of is "I bet that's a Lowden". They are among the best sounding acoustic guitars I've ever heard. Avalon's are similar but still missing that "Lowden" something.
I disagree. I've tried both extensively, and find myself liking the same proportion of each brand, I find I prefer certain body shapes/sizes and woods, the same in each brand.

Avalons are made by the same luthiers in the same workshop that made the 15,000 Lowdens from 1989-2004. Surely they didn't forget how to make good guitars in 2004?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion