The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2019, 10:19 PM

Is the guitar a high quality instrument you could keep for a lifetime - yes.

Are you forced to keep it for a long time just because of its price point? Of course not.

I don’t understand this concept of a lifetime guitar - it’s a guitar, not a spouse. Why put that kind of pressure or expectation on yourself in selecting a guitar? Pick a guitar you like but if you decide to move on, why sweat it? The used market at that price point is robust - relax and enjoy the search and don’t worry if your tastes change or you decide to move on.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 09-19-2019, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Some people don't understand the concept of a lifetime spouse either, but I digress....
Old 09-19-2019, 12:50 AM

Default Is the Taylor 314ce a lifetime guitar?

Just recently I got myself a 2004 Taylor 214, and while it’s too soon to call it a lifetime guitar, I don’t see myself parting with it anytime soon. Hell, I still have my very first acoustic which is a Fender. Sounds like a plastic bucket with strings, but plays great, and it has that sentimental value.

Last edited by 1neeto; 09-19-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:33 AM

It's not always about the price you pay. In 1993, I ordered a brand new Taylor 712. All solid wood, gloss finsh, rosewood, spruce, ebony. Very nicely crafted. It was pretty guitar, with a pretty sound but just not terribly dynamic. Even back then, it retailed for $1900 but for me, it was a failed experiment as a small guitar for my needs. After four years, I sold it and much later replaced it with a Martin 000-15S. all mahogany, solid wood, zero bling. $650, brand new. I liked that one a little better but eventually gave it away and bought a Tacoma PR-12.
A misnamed "Parlor" model of dreadnaught depth, 000 top area , all solid wood, rosewood and spruce. $750 out the door, brand new. a monster of a guitar and blew the other two away and I played it a lot for about twelve years but eventually gave it away to my nephew. Now I am old, have five guitars, all expensive. I like them all yet they are all different. The more you learn, the further perfection recedes. It's really more about liking what you have, in the end. Learn what for you, is good enough.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:37 AM

I think the Taylor 314 is a lifetime guitar or good enough as a lifetime guitar for many of us. Even if you decide to sell it in the future, it’s alright, I believe you’ll be doing it for good reasons.

I consider 2 of my guitars lifetime guitars. They are my Yamaha FS5 Red Label (MIJ) guitar and my Faith Venus Blood Moon Burst. Each of them costs less than a new Taylor 314 and IMHO just as good. The links (NGD) to both these guitars are below:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=547877

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=528485

If you are someone on a tighter budget (not keen to spend too much) and looking for a good guitar, check them out. Whatever you decide, enjoy your journey (search) for your new guitar!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 09-19-2019, 03:48 AM

Mine while not the ‘one’ is a keeper. It does so much well and that makes it a valuable tool. It has been through a lot and appears ready to take on more. If the Taylor sound is right for you then you can’t go wrong with a 314.
Bedell oh12
Bedell mb28g
Simon &Patrick Showcase Mah.
Breedlove Stage dread.
Tanglewood Tw70
Simon&patrick Woodland cedar
Taylor 320e
Yamaha LSTA autocoustic
Seagull Artist mosaic cw
Taylor DN3
Larrivee l02
Gibson j15
Old 09-19-2019, 04:07 AM

If a guitar presses all your buttons, that's all that matters.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Default me thinks

Me thinks it's the 400 line. Most Taylors are all the guitar anyone really "needs"....but...many times we "want" things....
Old 09-19-2019, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
Is the guitar a high quality instrument you could keep for a lifetime - yes.

Are you forced to keep it for a long time just because of its price point? Of course not.

I don’t understand this concept of a lifetime guitar - it’s a guitar, not a spouse. Why put that kind of pressure or expectation on yourself in selecting a guitar? Pick a guitar you like but if you decide to move on, why sweat it? The used market at that price point is robust - relax and enjoy the search and don’t worry if your tastes change or you decide to move on.
^^^Agreed!^^^

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-19-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamenramen View Post
Hi I really have two questions:
1. In the Taylor lineup, which series do most people consider hits the sweet spot, i.e, has the highest sound quality : price: ratio? Is it the 300 series because that is where all solid wood starts? What I mean is, what series would I have to get such that any anything higher and it’s really all about fancy inlays and bindings but not about “objective” improvements in sound.
2. I am a firm believer in buying once and getting it right rather than buying and upgrading over and over again (famous last words I know). What is the lowest series that people consider to be a lifetime guitar? Again my research indicates anything 300 series (and above)
Thank you!

Any guitar can be a lifetime guitar if you really care. Having said that, a 314ce can be a great candidate for such a distinction.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 09-19-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Me thinks it's the 400 line. Most Taylors are all the guitar anyone really "needs"....but...many times we "want" things....

Luckily, I'm on that road with my 414.
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 09-19-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
Luckily, I'm on that road with my 414.
A 414 is a serious jump up from the 300 series. There are a number of guitars in the 400 series that, since the advent of the V-class bracing, I prefer over the 800's.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-19-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
A 414 is a serious jump up from the 300 series. There are a number of guitars in the 400 series that, since the advent of the V-class bracing, I prefer over the 800's.

Mine has the Scalloped X Bracing. I'd love to have the V-Class Bracing, although I don't prefer one bracing over the other, since it's apples and oranges for me.
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 09-19-2019, 08:18 AM

The 314 is Taylor's intro to an all solid wood guitar.
It is a professional instrument that I think any guitar player can appreciate.

With that said, I am reminded of my experience and almost purchase of a 314. I was starting to get more gigs and needed an upgrade from my Breedlove Passport.

I definitely wanted a Taylor and ended up being stuck between a 214ce Dlx and a 314ce.

The 214ce dlx had a brighter sound while the 314ce sounded woody. Layered wood vs sapele I guess. I liked the idea of owning an all solid wood guitar but also knew the guitar I was buying would be exposed to long hours in a car and sun during gigs at the beach so layered back and sides weren't a turn off for me.

Just to get another idea, even though it was out of my price range, I tried a 414ce-r. Holy smokes, this guitar blew both of them out of the water.

I decided on the 214 dlx and that I would eventually come back to Taylors 400 series. That seemed more of the guitar for me.

That's just my opinion, if the 314ce checks your boxes and makes you play more. Keep it for life!
Old 09-19-2019, 08:31 AM

Any guitar can be a lifetime guitar. Every guitar can be sold, traded or given away. So, it will only be a lifetime guitar - IF you keep it for a lifetime. I've owned several 3** guitars and own none now. One would never be a lifetime guitar for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion