The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 06:46 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
If you want a guitar with a substantial bass-response, you need to buy a guitar that is designed and built to have that response. No amount of faffing around with strings, picks, saddles, etc. will fundamentally change the frequency response of an instrument, and turn a ‘trebly’ guitar into a bass-monster. You’ll just spend a lot of money to continue to be disappointed.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I gave up trying to influence the innate tone of a guitar years ago. If it lacks a specific frequency, there isn't much you can do to add it back in enough quantity to make a huge difference. If you don't like the guitar from day 1, then you might as well put it down or return it. Sure, you can do things like try different strings and whatnot, but I have never seen it make enough difference to make me change my mind on a guitar. Who wants to be limited to a specific set of strings in order to love a guitar anyway? The lone exception for me of course being Elixirs. Don't like the sound, feel, or tension.
Yep...what these guys said /\.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:52 AM

First off the GA is a “jack of all trades” shape.
It is very even across the tonal spectrum.
If you want to warm up the tone, and you want coated strings,
I’ve found that D’addario EXP16’s will do that quite nicely.
While it’s true that no one buys a Taylor for its thumping bass, it can be found.
I’ve also used Curt Mangan Strings on my 110e, and woke up the bass side on it.
But again a x14 is designed to have a very even tonal response.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 08-21-2019, 06:54 AM

Bluegrass guages. Heavier on lower end. John Pearce makes a great set.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycobb73 View Post
Trade it for a Martin. I have played a few taylors. They're not designed to have prominent bass.
I'll echo this and similar comments. I've played several high end Taylor GA's lately. They play easily, very comfortable, a lot of sound for their size. The sound is very even and balanced across the range, but bright- and that's what they're going for. I was tempted to buy one, until I'd pick up a Martin to compare against. It's just not going to have the big bottom end of a dread.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:40 AM

Start with one thing at a time. IMO, strings would be a place to start.

Start with strings that are known to produce a more mellow tone. Stay with them until you have exhausted other possibilities.

Here is my suggestion flow wise.

Try both GHS Vintage Bronze and Silk and Phosphor Bronze. The Vintage especially seem to offer more bass.

If you want even more mellowness, try replacing the stsndard ebony bridge pins with African Blackwood pins available from Shabbychick.

Give any string time to settle down and play in.

Aim for a 12th fret string height of 2.25-2.5 mm on the low E. Do this even if you like a lower action.
Too low an action diminishes bass response..

It sounds like you guitar is new-ish. Play the heck out of it. Strum.

Keep the strings clean Wipe them down after playing.

If it is time to change strings, try keeping the high e and b strings on the guitar, replacing only the wound strings. High e and b are often the offending strings.

Experiment with types/brands of strings but keep a record of your results.

If you strum/flat pick, try a heavier pick, say 1.0-1.4 or so. Try a casein pick. Heavier/ casein picks help with excessive brightness. If you finger pick, this doesn't apply.

Any time you change something, change one thing at a time. Keep a log of all changes, results.

Round core strings tend to be smoother, offering bass response you may like.

Don't easily give up. Exhaust possibilities before selling off any guitar.

Good luck.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:00 AM

I used Elixir Phospher Bronze lights on my Taylor GC8 and I absolutely loved them. Really made the difference in the bass. Also, is it set up well? As someone said, if the action is super-low, it thins out the bass. If these two things don't do it for you, it may be the wrong guitar for you.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:27 AM

I'm with all the guys, above. Trade/trash/give away the Taylor and buy a Martin (or, other brand guitar) that really has the sound you're wanting.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:05 AM

There's a lot that can be fixed with changing your strings or changing your pick and pick attack. Of course there's only so much to be done, but I'd string it up with Monels, choose a bit heavier pick, work with my pick angle, and shift my play more toward the head if I needed more warmth and softness. The pick is the biggest effect that was ever made for guitar, TBH
Old 08-23-2019, 06:35 AM

Lightbulb

The most frequent answer I have got so far for “how to get more bass response from my Taylor guitar?” is:

Trade it for a Martin
Old 08-23-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedennis View Post
The most frequent answer I have got so far for “how to get more bass response from my Taylor guitar?” is:

Trade it for a Martin
Not surprising. Why cry? Are you after a sound or a headstock name brand? If you're seeking more bass than your guitar produces, you might need to evaluate other guitar options. You said you have an X14 guitar which doesn't tell us anything about the woods. So, if that is the size you want I would suggest a 000-18 or 000-28 (after playing) that gives you the solid bass response that you might appreciate more. You wouldn't be the first or 900th person to do so.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedennis View Post

Trade it for a Martin
You might want to re-read my previous reply, #16.

"x14" doesn't say much about which instrument you have. The 1xx and 2xx are layered bodies, and the solid wood starts at 3xx. Yes, among other things, type of body does make a difference.

If you still want a Taylor, you might want to try an 818e or a 418e-R. Rosewood makes a huge difference, at least to my ears. My 818e came with mediums. I now string my 818e with Elixir PB lights (a light bass with medium treble gauge variant), because the 818e has more than enough bass. My smaller Grand Concert has a sitka/rosewood body too, and sounds fine with those same strings.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 08-23-2019, 07:31 AM

It seems that the Taylor sound is often spoken of in terms of more or less bass.

Some Taylors do have greater bass response, some less. I don't think changing strings adds or subtracts bass. Your guitar is designed to produce a certain amount of bass.

Now, the perception of bass is another thing.

What that comes down to is the articulation of the guitar with given strings. Some strings have less articulation and allow for a warmer sound, more bass heard.

GHS Vintage Bronze, or Silk and Bronze strings might be a good choice.

I think much of the brightness issue comes from the hi e and b strings. If companies sought a metal for those strings that is less bright there would be many happy players.

One string that seems to have less bright e and b strings is Gibson's Phosphor Bronze set. They even look different. That has been my experience, anyway.

One thing to keep in mind is that Taylors just are more articulate guitars.

Martins are considerably less articulate guitars. Gibsons and Larrivees, Collings fall somewhere in the middle.

Enjoy your guitar for its qualities.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycobb73 View Post
Trade it for a Martin. I have played a few taylors. They're not designed to have prominent bass.
Got a chuckle out of this solution, but I agree.
I was going to say "Buy another brand."

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-23-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

A few others have touched on playing technique as opposed to changing the setup.

My guitar teacher was working on that with me yesterday and I was impressed with how much that was changing the bass emphasis. This was for fingerpicking. He was having me change the angle of attack of my thumb for the bass and get more fingernail into it as well as rotated my right hand so that the thumb was working more towards the bridge end with the other fingers working more towards the nut.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:21 AM

While playing technique, picks, strings and other minutiae will change tone in as much as you can make it darker or brighter, it will not bring out characteristics from a guitar that doesn't have them. You can make your guitar darker or brighter - you will not bring out bass that isn't there. These changes will shift the overall tone equally in one direction or the other. It will not add bass, middle or treble. That's the reason one should always play before buying so they know they are getting what they want. While some brands have tonal leanings it never guarantees a specific sound from a singular guitar. In this case another guitar is likely warranted. Buy a guitar you like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion