The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2019, 08:18 PM

Default Sheeran by Lowden - Coming soon??!!

I have a 1997 Lowden F series with a full anthem pickup. To me its the perfect guitar. Ive wanted a lowden for like 10 years, but never had the opportunity to buy one until last year... walked into local guitar center and this one was hanging on the wall used for $1999 with the hiscox case, ever since all that I've wanted to do it buy more lowdens.

When the Sheeran's were announced I was really intrigued, that that I think it will be the same as my F, but given the history and consistency of what Lowden makes, I've wanted one and each month been so frustrated when the availability dates get pushed back.

Next week I'm going to Northern Ireland, I called lowden today as set up a tour of the shop and asked about the sheerans. They have all the prototypes that we could play in the showroom and said they will be available in the USA very soon. Im looking forward to getting to play these and figure out if its worth buying.

Anyway else been looking at these? I feel like for the price point they will be tough to beat from the other layered back competitors.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:27 PM

Never owned a Lowden. But i Dig your enthusiasm!
Old 07-26-2019, 11:34 PM

Default About time!

Since the most guitar-friendly movie of the year is still in theaters, starring the redheaded Mr. Ed S.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 07-27-2019, 02:57 AM
Charter Member

I believe, from what I’ve read on the Lowden Owners’ FB Group, that they’ve had to set up a separate facility for building the Sheeran range and, of course, train new staff. It’s reported that there have been unforeseen problems in this exercise, which have resulted in the delay.

In view of the capital they must have stumped up to invest in this joint-venture, I’m sure that George, Ed, and all concerned with the new venture are just as frustrated, probably considerably more so, as the eager, guitar-playing public waiting desperately to lay their hands on what will hopefully be great, reasonably-priced instruments.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 07-27-2019, 04:03 AM

When I asked on Facebook 4 weeks ago, the reply was

"First deliveries to Europe will be spread across late July/August".

Only the smaller S and W models, at least for the time being.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 07-27-2019, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

My old mum used to have a saying....”If something’s worth having, it’s worth waiting for...”.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 07-27-2019, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the report. I'm looking forward to your review of the Sheeran models.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Thanks for the report. I'm looking forward to your review of the Sheeran models.
Not sure if that’s for me, LR? If so, I won’t be in the market for a Sheeran, but I’m currently lusting for another Lowden. Unfortunately, I need to offload a couple of guitars, or maybe one guitar and a mando, before that can happen!

Dealers seem to be taking orders for Sheerans here in the UK - my favourite dealer, CodaMusic in Stevenage, have the full range listed on the website - but I haven’t even seen an actual guitar anywhere.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 07-27-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post

Dealers seem to be taking orders for Sheerans here in the UK - my favourite dealer, CodaMusic in Stevenage, have the full range listed on the website - but I haven’t even seen an actual guitar anywhere.
Yes, Anderton's website says 10th September for next delivery.

Last edited by Silurian; 07-27-2019 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-28-2019, 06:16 AM

Yeah, I'm sure they will be great guitars, just like everything else lowden has released. I'm looking forward to playing the prototypes. I do wish they didn't say Sheeran in such a pronounced way on the headstock. thats my only complaint
Old 07-28-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagerty View Post
Yeah, I'm sure they will be great guitars, just like everything else lowden has released. I'm looking forward to playing the prototypes. I do wish they didn't say Sheeran in such a pronounced way on the headstock. thats my only complaint
They are not Lowdens, that's why they say Sheeran in such a pronounced way. I strongly suspect that most people who are expecting a Lowden for a quarter of the price are going to be disappointed.
You can't get rump steak for the price of pork belly after all!
Old 07-28-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
They are not Lowdens, that's why they say Sheeran in such a pronounced way. I strongly suspect that most people who are expecting a Lowden for a quarter of the price are going to be disappointed.
You can't get rump steak for the price of pork belly after all!
But compared against the Martin Jr, the GS mini, even the Collings Baby and Santa Cruz Firefly, and the myriad of other uber-short scale, small box guitars? Those are the guitars to compare to.

Apples to apples. And I've played GS minis that sounded better (projection, depth) than both the Collings and the Santa Cruz.

Big guitar vs little guitar? That's not the game here.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

It’s entirely appropriate, I believe, that they ‘say Sheeran in such a pronounced way’ on the headstock - Ed has gone into partnership with George, and it has been hinted that he has made a substantial financial investment in setting up the new operation.

There is a way to avoid having ‘Sheeran’ on the headstock of a guitar from Downpatrick, and it will undoubtedly be of better quality, but be prepared to pay significantly more for it!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 07-28-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russchapman View Post
But compared against the Martin Jr, the GS mini, even the Collings Baby and Santa Cruz Firefly, and the myriad of other uber-short scale, small box guitars? Those are the guitars to compare to.

Apples to apples. And I've played GS minis that sounded better (projection, depth) than both the Collings and the Santa Cruz.

Big guitar vs little guitar? That's not the game here.
Absolutely, but a lot of people on this forum keep talking about them as cut price Lowdens.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Absolutely, but a lot of people on this forum keep talking about them as cut price Lowdens.
In a sense, they are cut price small size Lowdens too.

Don't know what exactly happened between Ed and George, but I suspect George Lowden might not be happy with producing these directly under his own high end brand. Acknowledging that he produces them for somebody else's brand evidently appeals.
and a guitar-shaped-object

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion