The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2017, 03:29 PM

Default What are your three favorite Taylor models? Why those?

Having just started similar threads on Martin and Gibson acoustic guitars, I thought I'd ask the same question about Taylor guitars: what are your three favorite models, and why do you like them? Any insights you can offer will be valuable for other people reading this thread.

Unlike Martin and Gibson, I don't have much personal experience with Taylor guitars. I briefly owned a cedar-topped 714, which I liked a lot (but not enough to keep me from selling it to buy a Martin.) I've also liked their Leo Kottke 12 string model and their 8 string baritone model, but haven't owned either.

So it's up to you true Taylor guitar fans to explain which ones you like the most. Any observations about them that you can share will make this thread that much more valuable to folks who don't have your experiences.

Thanks,

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-13-2017, 03:55 PM

I'll play...... In order, they would be my:
-- 424ce (all koa Grand Auditorium)
-- 354 LTD (maple / spruce twelve string GA)
-- GS-K (flamed koa / spruce Grand Symphony)

I have a few others too, and most of them are GA sized bodies. A 414ce that stood tonally head and shoulders above its ovangkol brethren got me started in 2001, and that began my drift away from Martin and toward Taylor. I just like the feel of those necks and the 1-3/4" nut width. I have a 615ce jumbo in maple / spruce that wears heavy gauge 59-14 strings tuned down to C-c as my "baritone", and a T5 classic as my electric guitar for those rare occasions. I also have a 410 dreadnought that came to me in a convoluted trade, but will be sold someday as I no longer play dreadnoughts much. It holds its own against D-18's at bluegrass jams all the time.

At one point I owned four Martins but after hitting age 50, my left hand no longer liked their neck shape and 1-11/16" nut width. I have no issue with people who like Martins -- my J-40 was an awesome and beautiful guitar -- but I could no longer play it comfortably. Twenty minutes on a Martin neck and my fretting hand would be aching for hours. Three-plus hours playing a Taylor neck, and only my fingertips got sore. That was consistent over several years, so those Martin's moved on. Do I miss the Martin tone? Maybe just a little, but I'll trade being able to keep playing over a bass-heavy tone any day.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:07 PM

Standard builds:

1. 912—playable, balanced, rich, full and lively
2. 812—the same (but the 912 is just a smidge better)
3. 522 12 fret—probably the most balanced Taylor I've ever played

This list doesn't include cocobolo customs or anything like that. If it did, they'd likely top it.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 03-13-2017, 04:14 PM

My three favorite Taylor guitars are my 214ce DLX SB, 214ce DLX BLK, and my 150e.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:25 PM

My favorite Taylors that I've played:

210/310 (the early 210 that was USA-made, all-solid spruce/sapele)
522 12-fret
712 12-fret

I own the old 210 and it is a great-sounding Taylor. It has the balance and the sparkle that Taylors are known for, without sounding thin or overly bright. It records really nicely. I really think the spruce/sapele Taylor dreadnought is a great overall guitar at a very competitive price point -- especially the old 210.

The 12-fret GC models are the closest to me to a "vintage" sound that Taylor makes. They are deceptively loud and versatile and just look awesome with the 12-fret style and the slotted headstock. If I ever own another Taylor it will be a 12-fret model.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:27 PM

DN3. A great sounding, great playing dread. Stripped down appointments remind me of a D18.

GS8. Amazing sounding. Amazing player. Great to sing over and great for flat picking if you want to step away from a traditional dread.

324. My favourite hog topped guitar.

Doerr/Taylor

Last edited by sbeirnes; 03-13-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

1. The 810 - While most folks associate Taylor with their Grand Auditorium Cutaway models, I have loved and played their dreadnoughts for 20 years. The 810 (especially the since 2014) re-voiced version is everything I could ever want in an acoustic guitar. I like the 1 3/4 nut width, the great balance (for a dreadnought), the greatly improved bass response, and the extremely beautiful aesthetic, which I call classic modern. I'm not necessarily partial to rosewood over mahogany, but the rosewood/spruce combo Taylor 810 has always been the guitar that speaks to me the loudest.

2. The DN3 - While they don't make this model anymore, it is virtually the same guitar as the 310, but for whatever reason, my affinity has been more for the DN3. Again, another great Taylor dread with 1 3/4 nut. The 810 has always been my fav, but the DN3 is a close second. I happen to really like what Sapele offers a guitar in tone AND looks, and the DN3 has been one of the most consistent models (guitar to guitar) I have ever played. I've owned two, and played many more, and was always blown away by how great every DN3 performed. Loud, sweet, articulate, and balanced. I also like the very simple and traditional aesthetic. Definitely one of Taylor's most underrated models to date.

3. The 324seb - I prefer Taylor dreads, but this Grand Auditorium is one amazing guitar. I've played and owned many Taylors, most having spruce tops. The first time I picked up and strummed a 324, all I could do was smile. I never thought I could love a mahogany top guitar - until then. I knew that someday I would own one, which now I do. Not unlike the DN3, I have never played a 324 I didn't like. I love that special something in the Sapele/Mahogany combo. It's a mellow, almost compressed growl that I really resonate with, and the shaded edge burst is the icing on the cake - I just LOVE that burst on this model.

Last edited by kcnbys; 03-13-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

812e 12-fret...just a joy to play with great tone (including surprising volume and low end). The only guitar I've taken in for a setup and had my tech tell me it was basically perfect out of the box. He made a slight TR adjustment, charged me $5 and then says:"I rarely have guitars come thru here that I wish I owned...this beauty is on that short list."

814...the only guitar (of the 11 I've sold/traded in the last three years) that I regretted putting on the chopping block. Recently picking up the 812e has eased much of that pain.

214...so sweet out of the box it's the only guitar I didn't bother taking in for a setup. Superb playability and amazing tone for a laminate b/s guitar.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 03-13-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

My three favorite Taylors are ones I still have...

814ce - the quintessential "Swiss Army Knife" model, does it all well. Great balance. A striking guitar with the tobacco burst finish.

522ce 12-fret - most comfortable Taylor I own, nice warm, rich sound. All mahogany.

T5 - The guitar I pick up when I need an electric. Yes, it will produce a decent "acoustic sound," but this guitar is so much more than that. Very versatile.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:38 PM

614ce - Because they sound like angels singing. That shimmer!!
810 - What a geat dread!
355 - The easiest playing 12 string that I have tried.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:57 PM

Smile

My 3 faves:

*. T5z - super easy to play, small and comfortable. Own it today.
*. 512ce - late 1990's vintage, with thin neck and great tone.
*. 422k - a cute all-Koa limited run from 1997. My first Taylor.

I'm sure there are plenty more great models, but these are the ones I've owned and most bonded with!
Old 03-13-2017, 05:12 PM

Okay - of the one's I own ('95 812ce, '96 510c, '97 810-WMB, '97 422-R & '98 912c) my top 3 are:

#1: 812ce - this is my main guitar and is just so versatile.

#2: 510c - this I had custom built with a 1-3/4" nut & cutaway (both paid upgrades in '96). This one is as light as a potato chip and is just so loud, while still being balanced and articulate. The top is Engelmann, and it was sheer luck that the guy that scheduled the custom builds at the time was an old bandmate of the guy who sold it to me...so he did me a solid. The Engelmann is top grade...tight grain, super light color. No runout or end grain at all. In fact all the woods and appointments are just top notch on this one.

#3: 912c - this is an older one with the Engelmann top...a completely different guitar than my 812ce. Much "wetter", but not nearly as loud. This one is so rich & responsive it practically plays itself. I'd play it more, but my wife has commandeered it as her main guitar.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-13-2017, 07:06 PM

Of the ones I own
616ce (revoiced)
526ce
716ce
All great guitars with different sounds

guitars? yep still have some
Old 03-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

-K65 Koa (no cut away no electronics)
Both with 1 3/4" nuts:
Old 03-13-2017, 07:50 PM

1. GS Mini - The best starter guitar that isn't built like a starter guitar. I bought it thinking it was small enough for me to learn to play a little, not crazy expensive, but would be still worth something if I gave it up. It got me hooked on acoustic guitar and hooked on the brand. Once I started to figure it out it made me crave a bigger, all wood guitar with a more complex sound.

2. Re-voiced 714ce. I briefly owned an 816ce and loved the sound but the fit wasn't right for me. The 714ce I now have has a beautiful rosewood sound (lots of bass), is great to look at, is very responsive, soft or strong and the GA body fits me better. I'm curious what others have to say about lutz spruce and if it is simply hype to say it mimicks old adirondack.

3. 2011 spring ltd W14ce. I don't own one, but I've tried a couple out and hope to someday down the road. The sound to me was somewhere between rosewood and mahogany. The flamed walnut on the ones I've seen was very cool.

Those aren't really in order and I'm sure an 814ce Brazilian would give me pause to reconsider, but for now that's it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Last edited by FOG01; 03-13-2017 at 08:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion