The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I think the thing is that OP is ostensibly asking a question: what was the appeal of Ovations? But it's pretty darned clear he isn't genuinely interested in a constructive and informative answer; unless I'm cruelly misjudging him - and I do not think I am - his intention is to broadcast his contempt for Ovations and kickstart a hatefest among similarly minded people.

That's why the thread sucks.
I guess I haven't seen any similarly minded people joining in. I dunno, maybe I'm just not picking up on the tone of folk's posts...but it feels pretty darn positive to me.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
that's not actually al di miola. it would appear to be kiefer günther.
Let's find some Al...

Old 06-04-2014, 07:20 AM

Personally, I've never understood the aversion to guitars made of "alternate" materials. It's simply forward thinking.

Think hollowed out logs vs. today's modern drum sets.

While they may or may not be presented in a "traditional" fashion it is all about making music.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
I've owned a list of good guitars: a Taylor 714-ce, an 810E, a Martin D-42, and a Collng DS-42 are just a few of the very fine woodboxes that I have decided not to keep.

Look at my signature. Guess which guitars I think are better.

I'll never understand why, of EVERY SINGLE BRAND, Ovations infuriate some guitar snobs so completely that they have take time out of their very special lives to post it for the world to see. It's puerile. I have little respect for such elitism. Personal preference can be stated with respect and courtesy, but that is consistetly beyond some people.

You really have nothing better to do than denigrate the musical preferences of literally tens of thousands of individuals all over the world for the last 40+ years?

Charley Kaman had some very original thoughts and designs. Countless people have benefitted in profound and very real ways from them. Do any of you have something to offer other than pettiness and snide little smiley emoticons?

Here's an idea that some of you were apparently never taught:

Show some respect!
As Ecoguitar says down below...."Eaaaaasy there big fella"...I too think the op might have been a bit leading you might say, but not downright disrespectful. Maybe you're just a weee bit sensitive to all the Ovation bashing in general. I get it too as a Taylor owner from some here at times who only believe in the Big M as the Grand Puba of Guitars and all else is just bling and thin sounding. Don't blow a gasket over someone else words on a screen. I've said it a dozen times here and in other boards...it's just words on a screen folks. if 50 if us a day sat around a local watering hole and talked (and better yet..'PLAYED' our guitars) 95% of these "Oh yeah....well my XYZ and your abs and BLAH BLAH BLAH" arguments would probably never escalate the way they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
Who's is furious...or disrespectful...or discourteous...or petty...or snide?

The OP called the back "silly". I've reread every post. And I'm not sure I understand your feelings about the thread.
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Guitars are subjective.

Approval from any player is not requisite for any other player.
ditto!

Had me an Old Ovation Balladeer (about 82 model). Loved the sound and the neck and the idea even then about new materials (who would have thought I would have turned into an all out recycling save the resources eco geek that I am eh?) but nope couldn't get used to the sliding bowl. I like to play sitting a lot when it comes to acoustic.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:54 AM

Warren Zevon playing an Ovation 12-string -- a go to guitar for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4_xPpgrzRo

How can you diss a guitar brand when a guy like this played one?

I wonder where that guitar is now.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 AM

It's not secret that musicians tend to be vocal and more than willing to urinate upon gear someone worked hard for, especially online.

I used to have an Adamas from the 90's. The lower bout had a rougher edge, which seemed to stay in place better while seated. Sounded good. Ended up giving it to my brother because I was playing more bass at the time.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McLenison View Post
I never understood how Ovation's took off. So slippery with that silly unnatural round back.... What say hue?
I say, it's the poor workman who blames his tools.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 AM

I had a friend who had an Ovation, and I was always amazed at how it stayed in tune. I believe it had Grover keys, but whatever brand they were, they were bigger than the smaller, cheaper-looking Fender/Alvarez/other acoustic guitars had.

My Schecter Diamond acoustic/electric has Grover keys, along with the rounded plastic back, and that's my go-to guitar. Has been for 15 years or so. I'm proud of the fact that I only paid 300 bucks for it. $5000 Taylors and Martins might have a slightly better sound than it, but I just can't afford that much for a hobby, while raising a 15-year-old daughter.

It's a pain that it wants to slide off my lap when I sit, so I usually stand when I play it. When I do sit, I just get a good grip. It also has been known to slide off a stand from time to time, but I just use that as comic relief.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:25 AM

The amplified tone was the best in the business when they first appeared...operative word "was". It's not anymore and hasn't been for a long time. That tone didn't really fool anyone, it was just a very practical guitar while having quite acceptable tone.

I always thought the pickup system worked and sounded a lot better with nylon strings than steel, but the classicals didn't seem as popular.

The round back didn't fit with my tummy, convex + convex = escape. The shallower models were easier to hold but sounded much less acoustic to my ears.

I always wanted to like Ovations, but never found one that suited my style or my ears. The factory setup, at least on the early ones, was very good, and I think that attracted a lot of players. Plus, if one's ears weren't already conditioned to all solid wood instruments, the tone was one that a player could adapt to.

I've done some repairs to Ovations and learned to dislike the strap button mount, and the wood meets composite seam. One had rather sloppy braces too, which kind of surprised me as others seemed neat and tidy inside.

For the record, I love their electric guitars. A high school buddy had one (I'm talking about the '70s here) and it sounded glorious, 24 frets too. I saw a band with one recently and was impressed with the clean tone.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McLenison View Post
Why do you think they took off with such bang?!

McCartney and Lennon, post-Beatles, both used'm after playing THE great Gibson's and Martin's. I never understood how Ovation's took off. So slippery with that silly unnatural round back.... What say hue?
I liked them...and thought guitars from the Adamas line were striking!

As far as understanding them goes, as I've asked before when this has come up: "What's to understand?" They're guitars..guitars are musical instruments, played by musicians creating and playing music. If this escapes your understanding, you're posting to the wrong forum.

Unnatural round back? By what definition? Guitars and other similar stringed instruments have been built with and without round backs throughout the history of stringed instruments.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)

Last edited by reholli; 06-04-2014 at 08:57 AM. Reason: ...grammar...
Old 06-04-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Jones View Post
I bought an Ovation Folklore in 1973.... I paid $300 back then. Wonder what it's worth now.
$425 to $525 in all original, excellent condition with original case.

Ovation was new and innovative in the late 1960s and performing/recording musicians were looking for better ways to use acoustic guitars on stage and in the studio. As others have posted, the rest of the guitar world caught on and started developing other pickups and systems to amplify acoustic instruments. The great pickup systems in Takamine guitars is also a Kama Music Corp product.

Over the years, I have owned two Ovations, a Balladeer and a Folklore. Both with deep bowls. Never had any trouble holding them (or any other Ovation) either standing or sitting.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
If I have to use a chamois, strap, foot rest, etc. in order to play a guitar...I'm gonna find another guitar.
Classical guitarists trained in proper posture and physical mechanics rarely suffer the shoulder and other physical issues many people complain about here that result from less than optimal playing strategies.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 AM

My nephew has a 400$ small bowl Ovation for about 4 years now. The guitar is loud unplugged and I mean loud. Most people, I suspect , don't take time to open up (playing all over the neck slowly and powerfully) their small bowl Ovation, so the guitars don't really play loud unplugged.

I agree with others that the guitar slips especially in classical position but it sounds very good and the neck is very fast and easy to play.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epluribus36 View Post
I had a friend who had an Ovation, and I was always amazed at how it stayed in tune. I believe it had Grover keys, but whatever brand they were, they were bigger than the smaller, cheaper-looking Fender/Alvarez/other acoustic guitars had.
Perhaps Patch can tell us whether Ovation continued using them up to the present day, but during Ovation's heyday the guitars were outfitted with Schaller tuners with nylon casings:

Those are great light weight tuners that are also extremely accurate. I had those gears on my very first mountain dulcimer, and from a functional standpoint they're superb.

I think some Ovation models may have had the pearloid buttons on these gears, which would have cut the weight even further.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
I've owned a list of good guitars: a Taylor 714-ce, an 810E, a Martin D-42, and a Collng DS-42 are just a few of the very fine woodboxes that I have decided not to keep.

Look at my signature. Guess which guitars I think are better.

I'll never understand why, of EVERY SINGLE BRAND, Ovations infuriate some guitar snobs so completely that they have take time out of their very special lives to post it for the world to see. It's puerile. I have little respect for such elitism. Personal preference can be stated with respect and courtesy, but that is consistetly beyond some people.

You really have nothing better to do than denigrate the musical preferences of literally tens of thousands of individuals all over the world for the last 40+ years?

Charley Kaman had some very original thoughts and designs. Countless people have benefitted in profound and very real ways from them. Do any of you have something to offer other than pettiness and snide little smiley emoticons?

Here's an idea that some of you were apparently never taught:

Show some respect!
A bit defensive, eh?

But I respect you for deciding what guitar works for you and supporting that maker! I'm sorry your maker went under. They were a very interesting & creative spot on the guitar history channel, like them or not.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion