The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-24-2020, 08:55 AM

Default New to thumbpicks

I am also new to this forum, so hello.

I've been playing guitar for about 16 years or so, the last 10 years mostly acoustic. I've always liked listening to fingerstyle guitar but only the last couple of years have I started playing it myself.

Just last week I bought a thumbpick for the hell of it because I really like the tone other players get with one.
I found the picking part of it extremely long so I sanded it to a preferable length and have been playing with it on a few of my guitars and so far I found the following.

With my dreads ( Seagull S6 and Yamaha FG700s)
I really have to mute the bass with my palm a lot more than when I'm just playing with my bare thumb. When playing with my thumb on the dreada I think I use a light touch to avoid having to mute ( although some songs in delta blues require the heavier playing and muting)
Seems like it's going to take some practice to tame the bass side . But With the Yamaha FG 75 I get a great balenced tone without having to mute much, really enjoying the tone I get there.

I'm quite ignorant to the world of thumbpicks so I'm interested in any input or tips you guys have about thumbpicks. Do thumb picks without fingerpicks end up with tone imbalence on dreads? Thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2020, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

I find that it's definitely possible to balance the tone with a thumbpick and fingers. It kind of depends what you are doing, and you will have to adjust your finger attack accordingly to get more volume.

On the other hand, once I started using two metal fingerpicks with the thumbpick it's hard to go back. Using finger picks opens up a lot more doors. Way more clarity! Also, you can attack in ways that would not be possible without picks. Try it!
Old 02-24-2020, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Thumbpicks vary in materials, shape and fit. Different materials and shapes sound different.

For what it's worth I like the Herco thumbpick/flatpicks (heavy) and the Fred Kelly Delrin thumbpicks (the orange ones). I reshape the Fred Kelly thumpicks with a Dremel tool and nail file to get the pick shape that works best for me. My advice is buy a handful of different thumbpicks and experiment with them until you find something just right for your hand and playing style.

With a pick you get a wider dynamic range than with just bare fingers. You'll adapt to that with practice.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:24 AM

Welcome Bluesra
Over the years I have tried many times using a thumb pick with my fingerstyle only to discard it at every turn because playing with flesh is just more natural and sounds better to me. I am however, fairly adept at Hybrid Picking and enjoy that to a degree when useful.
I agree with your suggestion that palm muting is completely different when using pick over bare thumb.

Here's a guy who has the Nack of operating a thumb pick fairly well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ocjT3gObE

Blues

Last edited by BluesBelly; 02-24-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monts View Post
I find that it's definitely possible to balance the tone with a thumbpick and fingers. It kind of depends what you are doing, and you will have to adjust your finger attack accordingly to get more volume.
I agree with Monts, it just takes time to learn to adjust your finger attack to help balance out your guitar. I have been using Thumbpicks and my fingers for decades(old guy). I can get sparkling highs with my fingers nails, and deep bass with my thumbpick.
You might also learn to occasionally use your thumbpick like you would a flatpick, instead of your fingertips. This will also give you the ability to accentuate notes when you want to by going back and forth between your fingernails and the Thumbpick.
The sound of pick material, and the fit of the Thumbpick can also make a dramatic difference. I can not believe just how much of a difference Blue Chips thumbpicks made for my playing precision & tone. The Thumb band is very secure, and the tone of this pick material is so very smooth. It is something that you have to experience to believe. The Best $40 investment I have ever made.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:51 AM

You just get used to it, the more you do it. You achieve balance.

Listen to Bert Jansch. Usually played dreads. Always with a thumb pick and no other picks on his fingers. No "tonal imbalance."
Old 02-24-2020, 10:53 AM

Welcome to the forum from someone who gave up on thumbpicks years ago.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Welcome to the forum from someone who gave up on thumbpicks years ago.
And from someone who started with the thumb in the 60s, evolved to the thumbpick soon afterward for its force, but still enjoy the bare thumbnail for its delicacy and sparkle.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:23 AM

Thumbpicks take a little while to learn to use effectively. Yes, you can definitely balance the sound of fingers (especially when using nails) with the thumbpick attack. A big part of that is learning to vary the attack with the thumbpick. It starts out feeling like an uncontrollable, alien attachment to your thumb. As with so many things, it just takes time, but it gives a wide range of options once you get a good feel for it.

I have to be honest though, I have known players who just cannot make them work no matter how hard they try. Try a bunch of different thumbpicks. One will eventually end up being the preferred size, shape, material etc. to get what you want from it. Patience will be a key factor in your success.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

As you have already learned from the previous replies, this is a wide road and everyone has their preference. I have used so many variations of thumb and finger picks over the years that I can't even recall them w/o looking.

That said, the Herco flat/thumb pick has been my favorite for years and I thought I'd never find anything that I like better. Then a buddy gave me a Fred Kelly Speed pick and I may actually prefer that over the Herco. It's a big topic and you will find what works for you after much trial and error. Enjoy the trip!
Old 02-24-2020, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
As you have already learned from the previous replies, this is a wide road and everyone has their preference. I have used so many variations of thumb and finger picks over the years that I can't even recall them w/o looking.

That said, the Herco flat/thumb pick has been my favorite for years and I thought I'd never find anything that I like better. Then a buddy gave me a Fred Kelly Speed pick and I may actually prefer that over the Herco. It's a big topic and you will find what works for you after much trial and error. Enjoy the trip!
I also have always liked the Fred Kelly Speed pick and it is a lot of trial and error with some reasonably priced choices available, so as 29er says - enjoy the adventure.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-24-2020, 02:53 PM

Every so often I try using it. Can never get used to having it on. It also limits my ability to strum or flail with my fingernails. On my Martin the bass is really loud so I usually use a thumb pick it for Dear Prudence.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:17 PM

For the OP - if you find yourself fumbling around with one of the large size T-picks, try shortening one up with a file. You may find a short thumb pick easier to control.

I wear them down regularly and found they play better just a bit worn down.

since you developed an interest in playing with a thumb pick - watch some videos of Johnny Winter on YouTube
Old 02-24-2020, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Allot of pickers modify their picks, flat, thumb or finger picks. To open up plastic thumb or finger picks I use tongs, hot (boiling) and cold water. They expand when heated and the cold water stops the pliability. I drill holes in my flat picks so I can grip them easier. Good luck.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-24-2020, 10:48 PM

I've tried a variety of ways. Started with a flat pick, did hybrid for a while, took up using a thumb pick, then I was hoped I could use a "one size fits all" approach using a thumbpick to flatpick when required - and it kind of works - but in the end I gave up on that. Now I'll flatpick, use a (filed down) thumbpick, hybrid or fingers only, depending on what I'm playing. The only style I didn't stick with at all is using metal ones on my fingers, although I tired that for a while, too.
I prefer a heavy, large thumbpick, filed down a mm or two, when I use one.

EDIT: Since posting these picks cam up on my facebook feed - spooky (yeah right)
Anyway wondered if anyone has tried them - Black Mountain Thumbpicks - supposedly the best of both worlds although I can't see why it would be so...there's a spring involved so I guess it would feel different.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

Last edited by tdq; 02-25-2020 at 01:05 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write