The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-21-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

An example of the application of an "internal" sense of time as opposed external mechanical one:

http://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20Mu...yBillEvans.mp3

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-21-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
Is developing an internal 'metronome' essential to play the guitar properly?
If you want to play with other musicians, it is essential to have good time, not to mention, a good time.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:35 PM
Guest 33123

I have woodshedded with a metronome in the past and I think I could use some focus on that area again. I've been mostly playing solo for so long now that my internal sense of time is getting kind of wonky.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:37 PM

I think one is better focusing on the idea of playing with a good, solid groove rather than in some kind of exact time. I'm not saying exact time is a poor goal; it's a good goal, a lofty goal. But the most important thing is to be playing in a musical way, a way that imparts feelings and ideas and senses. I play many pieces that are just "right there", just let my fingers follow a pattern. But I also play several pieces where there is more space and distance. I enjoy both. Practice actually listening to yourself play, which is a hard thing to do, and decide that for any given piece of music is what you're playing musical or not. This is where a good teacher can really help, even for advanced players. I remember Rolly Brown, fantastic player and teacher, saying something along the lines of winning the national fingerstyle contest and then going to take lessons for several years. It's always good to get a studied, objective opinion. Best, Jack
Old 02-21-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
Obviously nearly everyone can count to 4, but instinctive timing may involve being very much aware of the micro second gaps between 1-2-3-4, and keeping them consistent, before even thinking about anything else to do with guitar playing.

Or is this a dictatorship of overthinking?
Having spent the last 5 weeks at a weekly jam at a Florida campground, I can tell you that people who can't keep a steady rhythm pretty much butcher every song they do. It's very hard to play along with someone who can't keep time. When one of the players apologized for her poor rhythm I gently suggested that practicing with a metronome would be helpful. Fortunately she was not offended by the suggestion.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
If you want to play with other musicians, it is essential to have good time, not to mention, a good time.
Nice. I might steal that
Old 02-22-2020, 03:25 AM

Use a metronome. It helps.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write