The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-20-2020, 11:30 AM
Guest 33123

Default inspired!

Hi guys,

Early this year I decided to take a break from learning new material since for the first time in ~20 years I really didn't know where I wanted to go next. So from New Years until now I didn't learn anything new. I just focused on my existing repertoire in a low key way. As a result I cut my daily practice down to an hour or less. This was new territory for me. Actually I was a little concerned that the flame of inspriation was dying but due to family health issues I really didn't have the mental space to even worry about it.

But this week the flame reignited! Holy moly I'm totally energized about playing again and I'm actively looking for the next musical hill to climb. I even did some recording for the first time in 3 months. The muse has found me again it seems. It's pretty invigorating.

Has this ever happened to you?
Old 02-20-2020, 12:30 PM

Every so often life (I still work full-time and two part-time jobs plus family) and obligations get in the way of practicing, and music (I play multiple instruments) takes a break of a week or two (or three.) I just appreciate it more when I can get back to it. So yes, but unintentionally.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:49 PM

I have experienced this though not intentionally. My inspiration and motivation goes in waves. At the moment I'm at the bottom of the cycle and haven't felt the desire to really play or record for a month. Something will come along that will energize me again and I'll jump back in. It may be next week, it may be in another month...don't know.

I find it frustrating, but it is what it is.

BTW, congrats on your newly found inspiration...it's a great feeling when it comes back!!
Old 02-21-2020, 01:31 PM
Guest 33123

So I ordered this: http://www.guitarvideos.com/Products...erstyle-guitar It's taught by Lasse Johansson. Woody Mann has been trying to get me into his stuff for years so I finally wised up! I already play a lot of ragtime and some early jazz and show tunes so this looks like it will be a treat. Excited!
Old 02-22-2020, 06:57 AM

Awesome job for finding that fire again.

I went through some rough times and stopped playing for over a decade. I only began playing again around April of last year. This time around, I am really studying the guitar. I examine my weaknesses and with the help of Google, YouTube, and this awesome community, I am steadily getting better.

I was searching for help and that's how I found this site.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:04 AM

Somehow it remains the perennial bloom for me. But, I no longer gravitate towards styles of music, which are limiters unto themselves. My constant driving inspiration is the creation, not duplication, of new music. That used to be a challenge when I was an active listener to published music.

I stopped listening to air play in 1976 and it's taken me many years to divest the influences holding my inner muse back.

I remember there coming a time when I began sensing a certain inexplicable void, those many years ago, when I could play (copy) the music I listened to. I could play but was I really playing or was I just shadowing artists? It was a conundrum for me that naturally caused a cessation from listening to the art of writing my own stuff. That's where I am now and find it far more inspirational than working out the various melodies and riffs of published music.

We're all on different courses in music. I'm glad you found renewed inspiration.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:14 PM

This is a good story, thanks for sharing Doug.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write