The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-19-2020, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Sax for me, through college. I enjoyed it, but I’m much more passionate about the guitar.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:00 PM

Trumpet in grade school and then guitar And bass which came in handy in the 1970’s when I was playing In a rock-n-roll band. We played a lot of Chicago, BS&T, Grass Roots, Beatles, Stones, Santana etc. Brass was big back then.
Don’t play trumpet anymore. Lost my lip a long time ago. But I’ve sure had fun with music over the years.

Blues
Old 02-19-2020, 01:09 PM

Started with violin lessons in grade school. Continued playing through high school...but was never good at it. Dad bought a Martin D18 when I was 10, and within a couple of years it became mine. (I still have that one 70 years later!) Guitar was a lot more fun than trying to be a fiddler.

Richard
Old 02-19-2020, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Just returned from band practice where I play lead tenor in an 18 piece big band. I have a 50's vintage Martin Committee sax that belonged to my only music teacher who took me on when I was around 8, though I played only clarinet at the time, and it has remained my main instrument for the past 55 years.
I started with the guitar just a year ago and have been taking lessons for about six months, and am totally loving it. The guitar takes me places with my music that I could never go with my winds instruments. And while I surely struggle, as all beginners do, with the mechanics of playing, the fact that I know music helps enormously as I man-handle my precious guitars. I know the sounds I want to make. I just can't make them. Yet.
David
Old 02-19-2020, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I recall starting on the trumpet in elementary school, and I doubt that lasted a month. I wish I'd taken guitar lessons...
Old 02-19-2020, 01:57 PM

Two years of piano then four years of guitar. Flute later on.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 02-19-2020, 02:49 PM

Piano, then clarinet, then recorder (which I played in a semi-professional baroque octet during high school), then harmonica (blues harp), then guitar.

I used to be the sort of harmonica player who carried a dozen blues harps around in a case so that I could jam in whatever key was being played. I started learning guitar chords so I could tell what key a piece was in without having to ask.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:05 PM

In over 50 years of playing I've never had any guitar lessons.

I sang in the high school chorus, my university chorus and my graduate school chorus.

I have taken bagpipe lessons.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:27 PM

One year in grade school they tried that music method where we played plastic recorders. For good or ill, that's it for my formal academic music education. The rest if from reading, listening, exploring and so on.

Started (bar that school experience) with guitar, then other fretted string instruments, and in the past year or so "naïve keyboards."

I do think that one year of plastic recorder made we primed to like the second Jefferson Airplane LP where Grace Slick played recorder, and I've enjoyed early music ensembles that use variations on that instrument.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-19-2020, 03:33 PM

My mother would not let me take guitar lessons until I had 1 year of piano lessons. At exactly 1 year I reminded her of that and true to her word she switched me over to guitar lessons. I'm grateful for the basics I learned that first year but piano is just not my thing - I always wanted to play guitar. So I took guitar off and on for 3 years and then got in with graduate student at BYU when I was 14 and "studied" with her for another 4 years. She mostly just taught by teaching me different songs so not like I'm some theory-nerd, although I wish I knew more theory. I just try to get better each time I play and that is super satisfying.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

~10 years of piano.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:01 PM

Piano first when I was quite young, with lessons continuing off and on even through my college days. It was the "in" thing for all the patents in the neighborhood back then.

Trombone later. I didn't choose it. But I scored high on the music aptitude tests and my family couldn't afford the an instrument rental. the school said if I took up trombone they would loan the instrument and teach me. I was thrilled regardless. I eventually majored in the instrument.

I picked up guitar sometime in between, maybe just before my teens. I was mostly self taught. But I did eventually take lessons. It's the only instrument I chose for myself and all these years later, it's the only one I still play.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:30 PM

I was 9 years old and wholly consumed with desire to play the violin. But, it wasn't to be. My mom laughed at the visual image of me with a violin, being a pretty rough and tumble kid, and that was that. While I enjoyed music I wasn't otherwise smitten to play another instrument. Four years later Mason Williams launched Classical Gas into the airwaves. Playing the classical guitar became my new focus but it wasn't until 5 years after that instrumental debuted when I bought my own first guitar. One year later I was playing CG and felt accomplished. A year after that I stopped playing altogether for almost 30 years. Weird. I think having taught myself to play inside of a couple years satisfied a goal and I moved onto other things.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:32 PM

Picked up a guitar just after I turned 40 (I'm now 55) and took weekly lessons for approximately four years. (Thought at the time that was how everybody started out when they first picked up a guitar).
Old 02-19-2020, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Recorder in elementary school and trumpet in junior high school. I don't know how much of a foundation that gave me but knowing the treble scale was helpful when I started paying attention to theory. That said, I wish I'd have chosen a bass clef instrument in junior high so I could more easily read piano music without the left hand parts feeling like I'm translating a foreign language in my head.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write