The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-11-2020, 02:33 PM

Default Learning fingerstyle(s)

Hi everyone, first post. I’m currently teaching myself fingerstyle guitar after being a strummer previously. I’ve been using David Hamburger’s �� Fingerstyle Blues handbook and a bit of his other courses during my free month of Truefire. I’m also looking at David Hanson’s Art of Contemporary Travis Picking. My question is do you think learning from these simultaneously will complement each other or will they confuse matters? One is ‘dead bass’ the other, well, Travis Picking! I’m uncertain exactly what kind of fingerstyle I want to adopt eventually, I may just incorporate it into my songs, I just want to learn to Fingerpick!

Thanks!

Last edited by Meursault; 02-11-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I don't see a problem with that.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-11-2020, 03:33 PM

I’m currently doing what you suggest in your post. The two complement each other well in my opinion. To me the biggest difference isn’t alternating vs. dead bass but patterns vs. licks. Hamburger is more fun to me but I think the Hanson book is paying dividends in discipline and repetition. Hope this makes sense.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:50 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
Hi everyone, first post. I’m currently teaching myself fingerstyle guitar after being a strummer previously. I’ve been using David Hamburger’s �� Fingerstyle Blues handbook and a bit of his other courses during my free month of Truefire. I’m also looking at David Hanson’s Art of Contemporary Travis Picking. My question is do you think learning from these simultaneously will complement each other or will they confuse matters? One is ‘dead bass’ the other, well, Travis Picking! I’m uncertain exactly what kind of fingerstyle I want to adopt eventually, I may just incorporate it into my songs, I just want to learn to Fingerpick!

Thanks!
Travis picking is an good way for someone to acquire the right hand dexterity to begin playing finger style. Songs/tunes with an alternating bass pattern are used as tools to help develop the right hand because it is easy to understand.

The technique of alternating bass fits many different types of music genres, however once you get fairly fluid with your right hand and don't have to look at it to see what it is doing, you are ready to move on from it. It's not a matter of learning two or three patterns from a book and calling it a game. That is just the beginnng.

It isn't that there is a "kind of fingerstyle".... "to adopt" There are just kinds of songs to play.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-12-2020, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

I'm a little bit further down the same path, Mr. M.

I shifted my focus from strumming to fingerpicking about 3 years ago, shortly after joining AGF and hearing what folks were doing in that style.

I started with Hanson based on recommendations received on AGF. Did the first book and part of the second, and then moved on to private lessons in the area that interests me most right now (Country Blues).

My advice is to hunt around for an instructor and teaching style that suits you. Check out a bunch. Many are doing videos these days. I'm more of a book learner, but I have found some videos helpful. If you buy a book look for one with a CD or download of the tunes, even if you have heard them it really helps to be able to repeat them for absorption. Hang around here for a while and you will learn about many teachers. If you can find a good local teacher or Skype teacher there is nothing like the accountability they give you on a weekly basis. Just don't bounce around YouTube all day long, that is like eating candy
Old 02-12-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

It isn't that there is a "kind of fingerstyle".... "to adopt" There are just kinds of songs to play.
Thanks, that’s put it into context nicely!

davidbeinct: Glad to hear this approach is working for you. You’re right about Hamburger’s lessons being fun. They are newbie friendly whilst being fun to play.

reeve21: it sounds like it’s worked for you too. A lot of people praise the Hanson book.

My truefire trial ends tomorrow so I have to decide whether to sub. There’s a bit of a discount on the annual sub but I’m hesitant in committing to a full year. Does anyone know if the monthly sub ever goes on offer?
Old 02-12-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that’s put it into context nicely!

davidbeinct: Glad to hear this approach is working for you. You’re right about Hamburger’s lessons being fun. They are newbie friendly whilst being fun to play.

reeve21: it sounds like it’s worked for you too. A lot of people praise the Hanson book.

My truefire trial ends tomorrow so I have to decide whether to sub. There’s a bit of a discount on the annual sub but I’m hesitant in committing to a full year. Does anyone know if the monthly sub ever goes on offer?
Meursault, what do you hope to get from the subscription service that you cannot get with individual lessons purchased through TrueFire. I purchased 30 Fingerstyle Blues Licks You Must Know and the two Hamburger Blues Handbooks, and there’s a LOT of material there. Between that and the Hanson book I expect I have a year’s worth of material.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

First, welcome to the forum! Those are excellent teachers and materials and you likely will gain complementary skills from each. Hanson’s book pretty much taught me basic Travis picking, a skill that I regularly use every time I pick up my guitar. I love David Hamburger for any and all blues though sometimes I find his material a little advanced for me, as an intermediate player. Have fun!
Old 02-12-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Meursault, what do you hope to get from the subscription service that you cannot get with individual lessons purchased through TrueFire. I purchased 30 Fingerstyle Blues Licks You Must Know and the two Hamburger Blues Handbooks, and there’s a LOT of material there. Between that and the Hanson book I expect I have a year’s worth of material.
I also dipped into a few other courses and feel there’s other stuff I could learn from on truefire but you’re right in that focussing on a couple of courses is probably more beneficial. Did you do the Hamburger second handbook after the first or in parallel with it? Did you find it another level in difficulty or just a different approach to fingerstyle?
Old 02-13-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I also dipped into a few other courses and feel there’s other stuff I could learn from on truefire but you’re right in that focussing on a couple of courses is probably more beneficial. Did you do the Hamburger second handbook after the first or in parallel with it? Did you find it another level in difficulty or just a different approach to fingerstyle?
I’m working on the 30 Blues Licks... in parallel with Blues Handbook 1. Both use a dead bass approach. I haven’t looked at the second handbook yet but I have messed around with CC Rider which is alternating bass, along with the Hanson book which is also alternating bass. All that is plenty for me.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I take Skype lessons with Mark Hanson and I’m a “graduate” of both his Contemporary Travis Picking and Solo Fingerstyle books. Hal Leonard recently re-issued 30 year updated editions of both which is a good testament to their popularity. If you work through the Travis picking course, you will end up with a solid foundation that can carry you forward into solo fingerstyle (he throws in a couple of solo arrangements in the Travis picking book). Solo fingerstyle is extremely gratifying as you develop your skills. I also supplemented the Hanson material with other solo arrangements that interested me and Mark as my teacher has very enthusiastically worked with me on all of them.

Good luck, fingerstyle is one of many wonderful paths on the guitar.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-22-2020, 07:41 AM

Less is more. The forest, while a beautiful calling to nature, isn't the one tree you came to study.

TB mentioned songs. That brings to mind focusing on a theme. Learning one or two songs that have skills-challenging work to be done is a far more beneficial regimen than embracing a collection of studies that any sensible person can homogenize into a practicable and useful curriculum.

People tend to answer the questions they can, leaving the hard ones unanswered, and accept the results. Lessons are full of the facets of learning and, in order of ease, the self regimented student will naturally sort them for all the low hanging fruit and possibly never embrace the higher call to duty the harder lessons evoke.

Take a couple songs, regardless of their construction, dynamics and challenges, and learn them fluidly. Focus on that as a lesson regimen and you will eclipse the various lesson plans in both time and achievement. Once you've done that your ears and hands will have reached a point of development that your eyes (reading tabs and lessons) could not have provided in the same time frame.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write