The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-16-2019, 06:17 AM

Default New Aquila 'Sugar' Granato strings (with comparison videos)

Mimmo from Aquila kindly sent me a new string he has created. The Granato strings.

Before the trebles of the Granato strings were the same as the Rubino strings. These were unique in employing copper dust in a nylgut polymer to increase the density of the strings. I loved them. But...

The Granato strings have copper dust and a new polymer made from sugar.

These strings are the very best I have ever tried on a nylon string guitar. The are bright, powerful, sustain more than anything else, and have great tone.

Mimmo tells me that all the Granato strings with the label 'March 2019' are these strings.

One of the most important points to consider is that these strings have fantastically balanced tension. It is one of the the things I hate about nylon and carbon strings: the disparity in tension between the treble strings. I think these sugar Granato strings provide more sustain and more power for what feels like a more agreeable tension than carbon string tensions.

In terms of tone, I find them to be bright like carbon strings but more focused and less diffuse. These are thin strings and the G string sounds great, less tubby than any other string I have tried.

I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 03-20-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:35 AM

Well... another set of strings to try next time I am ordering. At the moment I have a set of Savarez Corum Alliance on my Cordoba. They are some fine strings as well.

DanO
Old 03-16-2019, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Very nice, Sir W, I really enjoyed that! Well done... I look forward to hearing some more.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:10 PM

Sweet! (someone had to say it)
Old 03-17-2019, 06:57 AM

Here is a comparison video I recorded this morning. The other two recordings are older, but at least it is the same song. Not played exactly the same, some mistakes here and there, but the difference in sound should *mainly* be from the strings.

More things I have noticed about the strings:
Basses: The have less sustain (designed this way for flamenco), not sure if I like this or not yet. I really liked the nylgut basses that came with the Rubino strings and may prefer those.
Trebles: I get some buzz on the high E when tuning down to D. Might need to raise my action by 0.1mm (top string currently at 2.7mm).

Sugar Granato:

Knobloch CX

Goldin

Last edited by sirwhale; 03-17-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Sounds great! Are the Granato Sugar trebles as susceptible to breakage as the Rubinos? I snapped two of those during installation and went right back to CX's. Thanks
Old 03-17-2019, 08:05 AM

According to Mimmo, these are made from a sugar polymer, while the rubinos are nylgut. So maybe not.

I have had no problems with them and have taken this set off twice and put them on three times while making some comparisons.

Although the rubinos and the new granatos (march 2019) do have a very similar texture.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:41 AM

A massive difference between the Sugars and the other two. I'm asking myself if I want that increase in volume/clarity. I don't know whether or not the Sugars I've just ordered are the Granato 2019, but those and the Sugar Flamenco are the only new Aquilas available through my usual sources. Many thanks for the comparison videos, SW.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:56 AM

Thank you for the excellent video samples of the three different strings. It is always educational to hear the same guitar with different strings. For a bright powerful sound the Sugars really shine. My personal preference from your sound samples are the Knobloch CX. They were a bit warmer and I prefer that sound, it all boils down to personal tastes.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:39 AM

nice video comparisons!

I'm in the camp leaning towards less bright than those.

My search is for trebles with the diameter of the Savarez Alliance strings with a less bright sound.

After about 2 weeks, the Alliances work great for me. Age seems to lessen the brightness.

2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 03-18-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
nice video comparisons!

I'm in the camp leaning towards less bright than those.

My search is for trebles with the diameter of the Savarez Alliance strings with a less bright sound.

After about 2 weeks, the Alliances work great for me. Age seems to lessen the brightness.

Funny enough I have the Alliance trebles on my C10 and yes in the three weeks since installation they are less bright.

I have just ordered the Knobloch CX carbon med/high trebles from Strings by Mail. We will see how those work out

PS..SIRWHALE, I come from a ukulele background and have been on the beta testing end of the refomulated Aquila Reds (similar to the Rubino guitar set). I really enjoyed them and Mimo is such a great guy, he has so much passion for what he does.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 03-18-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Funny enough I have the Alliance trebles on my C10 and yes in the three weeks since installation they are less bright.

I have just ordered the Knobloch CX carbon med/high trebles from Strings by Mail. We will see how those work out

PS..SIRWHALE, I come from a ukulele background and have been on the beta testing end of the refomulated Aquila Reds (similar to the Rubino guitar set). I really enjoyed them and Mimo is such a great guy, he has so much passion for what he does.
So far the CX's are my favorites for my Dupont Maccaferri style axe. I am curious to try the Sugars as I like a bright/snappy sound, but I might wait a little while to make sure that my suppliers have the new formula.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:45 PM

Concerning the Aquila 155C Sugar, dated 2/2019, I've never experienced trebles that squeek, and these squeek loudly with the slightest, the *slightest* touch. Absurdly useless. I guess the new Granato version uses an additive that negates this. Oh boy, I bought three sets of the 2/2019. Why were these offered for sale? Unacceptable.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Concerning the Aquila 155C Sugar, dated 2/2019, I've never experienced trebles that squeek, and these squeek loudly with the slightest, the *slightest* touch. Absurdly useless. I guess the new Granato version uses an additive that negates this. Oh boy, I bought three sets of the 2/2019. Why were these offered for sale? Unacceptable.
People have talked about the Sugar strings and the squeak on other forums. Mimmo has suggested using hand cream and then after a week the squeak goes.

I don't know why, but the Sugar Granato strings feel and have a texture just like the nylgut Rubino strings, but sound very different.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:06 PM

I've rubbed mine down with a 1,500 grit pad, but the squeek continues. I'll try some 600 grit paper next. A shame, especially that they're good sounding strings. When was cursing banned on this site?

Tried 600 grit and skin lotion, no appreciable difference. C'est la vie.

Last edited by Bax Burgess; 03-21-2019 at 08:57 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical