The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-02-2019, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

No, I did not. Call the Best Western and speak to someone. I got the rate for Friday and Saturday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
A question on accommodations.

The show is Friday evening through Sunday evening and I was looking at booking a flight that arrives mid-day on Friday and staying at the Best Western Fri through Mon AM.

The group rate at the show when you try to book it seems to want to lock you in to a Thursday check-in to Tues AM checkout. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

Bob
Old 03-02-2019, 01:56 PM

Wink

My wife and I are in discussion about attending. I have been thinking about a Froggy Bottom purchase, but in discussions with Michael Millard, time to get one in my hands. So many choices for this maker alone!
I suppose there's a possibility of purchasing another builder's work as well.

Prior attendees, can you mention how easy / difficult it is to audition? I'm thinking much easier than a show for electric guitars!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 03-02-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

It’s easy to audition instruments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
My wife and I are in discussion about attending. I have been thinking about a Froggy Bottom purchase, but in discussions with Michael Millard, time to get one in my hands. So many choices for this maker alone!
I suppose there's a possibility of purchasing another builder's work as well.

Prior attendees, can you mention how easy / difficult it is to audition? I'm thinking much easier than a show for electric guitars!
Old 03-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Smile Great concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
I will be returning again this year and will hopefully have 4 guitars with me. I am looking forward to seeing everyone.

Below are couple of photos (before finish) of one of my FS models I hope to bring along. It has a design that I worked on with one of my clients. This one is Addy/Mahogany (his is Port Orford/Walnut.) I call it the FS 13-16 as the bass side joins the neck at the 13th fret and the treble at the 16th fret. I also plan to bring an 0-12, another FS, and perhaps an A16 (archtop)

Very cool, John!!! Certainly looks like a great idea.

Have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-02-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
It’s easy to audition instruments.
For clarity, I was speaking about ambient noise and perhaps crowds.

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 03-02-2019, 04:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
For clarity, I was speaking about ambient noise and perhaps crowds.
Hi Tom,
We’ve exhibited their for all the shows. John seems to improve the show each year and zinexpectbthis show to be the best ever. John will,have several sound proof booths, outside of the main exhibition room. If you “see” a guitar that peaks your interests, then ask the luthier and he or she will accompany you to the demo booths a few steps away. It really is that simple.

The din of the room gets quite loud at times, even though it’s basically an acoustic show so it’s difficult to really audition an acoustic in such a large room. The demo booths are a real plus for you the player so don’t be shy about asking to try a guitar in a quiet space. We aim to please

We look forward to meeting you and your wife. You are both in for a really enjoyable time. If she gets bored looking at guitars there are free concerts all day long, in the room adjoining the exhibit hall.

You should also consider the VIP package because it offers you some perks that the general admission tickets don’t provide.

When you stop by our both, please introduce yourself as an AGF member and we will give you a free AGF badge to wear so you can identify and network with other forum members, if you so choose?
Old 03-03-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Hi Tom,
We’ve exhibited their for all the shows. John seems to improve the show each year and zinexpectbthis show to be the best ever. John will,have several sound proof booths, outside of the main exhibition room. If you “see” a guitar that peaks your interests, then ask the luthier and he or she will accompany you to the demo booths a few steps away. It really is that simple.

The din of the room gets quite loud at times, even though it’s basically an acoustic show so it’s difficult to really audition an acoustic in such a large room. The demo booths are a real plus for you the player so don’t be shy about asking to try a guitar in a quiet space. We aim to please

We look forward to meeting you and your wife. You are both in for a really enjoyable time. If she gets bored looking at guitars there are free concerts all day long, in the room adjoining the exhibit hall.

You should also consider the VIP package because it offers you some perks that the general admission tickets don’t provide.

When you stop by our both, please introduce yourself as an AGF member and we will give you a free AGF badge to wear so you can identify and network with other forum members, if you so choose?
Hi Tim
Thanks for the info; I was unaware of listening booths. That should make it a breeze to audition guitars!
We're still trying to decide about coming for both days (and potentially the VIP package) or just on Saturday. I get the feeling I would be the proverbial kid in a candy shop. I have to insist my wife accompany me throughout the days, as she a) would need to approve any possible purchase that may come of this, and b) she has a great ear for tone.
Plus she is an enabler...

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 03-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Hmm. An easy choice: go see my good friend Courtney. But, on your way, stop by to say hello.
You're a good man, John. Courtney it will be!
Old 03-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Mark Heller and I will be there. Sharon Klein from Team WILS can't make it this year, alas. I've got a an extra room at the Best Western Artisan rate available Friday and Saturday nights; if anybody is interested, email me to make arrangements. I also have an extra VIP Pass... Can't hardly wait to see everybody there! Now where'd I put my AGF badge?
[email protected]

Last edited by Baker Rorick; 03-13-2019 at 12:32 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 AM

I'm really hoping to make it for at least one day.
et al
Old 03-16-2019, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I am set. VIP ticket, hotel room and just in...approval from wife. I will arrive Friday and leave Sunday AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
I am set. VIP ticket, hotel room and just in...approval from wife. I will arrive Friday and leave Sunday AM.
C’ ya there...
Old 03-17-2019, 11:36 AM

Just putting this out there... I’ll be landing in Philadelphia on the 11th at around 6pm... anybody else in the neighborhood at that time to share a ride with?
Old 04-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

A little over a week to go to the show.... Hope some other AGFers can make it...
Old 04-05-2019, 07:45 PM

I'll be there Saturday with my wife and son - if you recognize me, please introduce yourself.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop