The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-14-2019, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Hey 2 minor, that is a beautiful instrument ! Thanks for sharing your build thread, it's been very exciting to see it all come together. Hearty congratulations!

Some dear friends have a place in Uzès, but the wife and I have not yet managed to avail ourselves of the open invitation to spend some quality time with them down there. The day we do, I'll be sure to try and arrange a visit to Bryant's shop. I thoroughly enjoyed the short video where he talks about the journey that's brought him this far in life.

One last thing, and I thank Juston for bringing it up. Let us know if it accommodates first-position cowboy chords, ok? (If it does, maybe even a guy like me can cop a jazz attitude with a box like yours...)
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 04-15-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
One last thing, and I thank Juston for bringing it up. Let us know if it accommodates first-position cowboy chords, ok? (If it does, maybe even a guy like me can cop a jazz attitude with a box like yours...)
Every Trenier I have played is beautifully balanced between the nut and the very last fret and will accommodate anything you throw at it.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Some more Argentine Gaucho Chords by Brandon Scott Coleman..

Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I don’t see any first position chords!!
Jimmy uses an imaginary capo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Hey 2 minor, that is a beautiful instrument ! Thanks for sharing your build thread, it's been very exciting to see it all come together. Hearty congratulations!

Some dear friends have a place in Uzès, but the wife and I have not yet managed to avail ourselves of the open invitation to spend some quality time with them down there. The day we do, I'll be sure to try and arrange a visit to Bryant's shop. I thoroughly enjoyed the short video where he talks about the journey that's brought him this far in life.

The guitar sounds amazing with open chords actually. This archtop has tremendous sustain and supreme string to string clarity and strong trebles all the way up the neck. The recordings were made on my iPhone in a loud environment and can’t begin to convey its timbre.

Definitely look Bryant up if you visit Uzes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
Every Trenier I have played is beautifully balanced between the nut and the very last fret and will accommodate anything you throw at it.
Absolutely...
Old 04-17-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Archtops are indeed different beasts than flat tops but they do certain things really well. Good ones have supreme balance in volume across the strings, great string-to-string separation and maintain strength in their timbre all the way up the fretboard. This one has all that plus added sustain and a nice touch of added overtone warmth. It is a fantastic soloist instrument. Bryant is doing his own thing, but is no doubt very much influenced by the direction the late Jimmy D’Aquisto was headed in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s.

For a 17” instrument with thick plates, a rock maple neck and many ebony appointments it is quite light at 5.8 lb. the 25-1/4” scale is a nice balance between the power of a long scale and the ease of play and sweetness of a short scale. You can see in the photo below that Bryant continued to shape the bridge base (tapered now towards treble side) after he assembled and strung up the guitar. This is part of his build process to customize components of the guitar based upon playing it.

The Kent Armstrong 6-pole piece single coil floater does work even though the guitar has bronze strings on it. It has a clear, but warm tone to it amplified. It is set up at 7,000 ohms (there are two settings on this pickup: 7,000 ohm and 10,000 ohm) and has volume and tone pots under its finger rest. I will hold my thoughts on that until I get a set of nickel strings on the guitar.

I will try to post some examples for those “cowboy chord” curious flat top players out there in the next few weeks...

Old 04-17-2019, 03:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

As impressive as this guitar appears in photos, it is much nicer IMO in reality.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
As impressive as this guitar appears in photos, it is much nicer IMO in reality.
High praise coming from you (thanks)...
Old 04-17-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Love that headstock. What a beauty!
Old 04-18-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Love that headstock. What a beauty!
Thanks Juston...
Old 04-21-2019, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

There are very few non-flatop guitar builds chronicled here in the AGF Custom Shop. I am happy to have shared a few builds here because while archtops are slightly different “animals” than steel stringed flat tops, they acoustically do certain things particularly well, are beautiful and to me represent the pinnacle of guitar lutherie. Here’s a family shot of my three archops: my 16” Comins Classic Archtop (humbucker + Barbera); 17” Trenier Artifex Archtop (single coil); and 3) 16” Comins Zelig Slope Rimmed Archtop (acoustic).

Old 04-21-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
There are very few non-flatop guitar builds chronicled here in the AGF Custom Shop. I am happy to have shared a few builds here because while archtops are slightly different “animals” than steel stringed flat tops, they acoustically do certain things particularly well, are beautiful and to me represent the pinnacle of guitar lutherie. Here’s a family shot of my three archops: my 16” Comins Classic Archtop (humbucker + Barbera); 17” Trenier Artifex Archtop (single coil); and 3) 16” Comins Zelig Slope Rimmed Archtop (acoustic).

Bob, you have IMMACULATE taste in wood selection!

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 04-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippygreen View Post
Bob, you have IMMACULATE taste in wood selection!
Thanks Justin, but the credit honestly goes to the luthiers, not me.... These three archtops are actually all different in their wood selection.
  • 16” Comins Classic has a Carpathian Spruce top from Romania and a Fiddleback Bigleaf Maple back and sides from the Cascades.
  • 17” Trenier Artifex has an Italian Alpine Spruce top and Fiddleback Bosnian Sycamore Maple back and sides.
  • 16” Comins Zelig has a Carpathian Spruce top from the Ukraine and Fiddleback Honduran Mahogany from Belize.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

One more shot...

Old 04-23-2019, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

What a beauty! You must be rather pleased.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Bob, what a lovely instrument! Congrats all around!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop