The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Edmonton in Pittsburgh tonight. McDavid and Crosby. The two best players in the game today. Let's see if Sid is ready to hand over the torch.

I feel bad for McDavid. There's no reason why Edmonton should still be a failing franchise in the standings. Lots of talent. Hopefully the new management will turn things around but I don't think it will be this year.
Sid isn't ready. Pens win 3-1. McDavid is an awesome offensive player- a force of nature, if you will, but Sid is the better all-around player. He's never lost to a team featuring McDavid. Maybe someday, but not just yet.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-14-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Sid isn't ready. Pens win 3-1. McDavid is an awesome offensive player- a force of nature, if you will, but Sid is the better all-around player. He's never lost to a team featuring McDavid. Maybe someday, but not just yet.
Yep, McDavid wouldn't have the defensive skills that Crosby has ... yet. He'll get there.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:18 PM

It's the things that Sid does away from the puck that make him the greatest player in the game. I feel bad for McDavid, he's amazingly skilled but Edmonton is a disaster right now.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 02-15-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Yep, McDavid wouldn't have the defensive skills that Crosby has ... yet. He'll get there.
As Aaron mentions below, it's not just Sid's defensive skill that gives him the edge, he thinks the game a second or two faster than almost anyone, which puts him in position to make plays. His incredible hockey IQ gives him opportunities on offense and defense that never materialize for other players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
It's the things that Sid does away from the puck that make him the greatest player in the game. I feel bad for McDavid, he's amazingly skilled but Edmonton is a disaster right now.
And while I agree with your point (as I mentioned above), I think another distinguishing characteristic of Sid's game is his tenacity and strength on the puck. For instance, he's not as fast as McDavid, yet Sid can stick-handle with quickness and elusiveness that prevents anyone (including a bigger, faster player such as McDavid as we saw in the game on Wednesday) from separating him from the puck.

I believe McDavid has the physical tools to become perhaps the best player of all-time (with apologies to Wayne), whether he will have the obsessive work ethic of Sid, and Wayne's good fortune with health in order to achieve that status remains to be seen.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-15-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
Yep, no way Edmonton should be in that mess given all the first round draft picks (and #1 picks) they've had over the past few years. I think they could use Mike Babcock as coach.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Yep, no way Edmonton should be in that mess given all the first round draft picks (and #1 picks) they've had over the past few years. I think they could use Mike Babcock as coach.
The first big mistake the Oilers made was drafting Yakupov, when they could have/should have moved that pick for some players and prospects. The next disaster was giving up two first round picks for Griffin Reinhart, who will never play in the NHL, ever. Others include signing Sekera to that contract, signing Russell to his contract, the Lucic deal.. Mind-boggling how many bad moves the Oilers have made, and continue to make, with the Koskinen signing, prior to Chiarelli's departure. The worst managed organization in the league - yes, even worse than the Senators. Brining in Mark Hunter or Kelly Mccrimmon as next GM, and maybe Queenville as head coach, might help. But they are so screwed.

Incidentally, my Flames get a nice win in Pittsburgh, 5-4. The game started 11am Calgary time. Pretty cool. Always loved the matinee games.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 02-16-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
As Aaron mentions below, it's not just Sid's defensive skill that gives him the edge, he thinks the game a second or two faster than almost anyone, which puts him in position to make plays. His incredible hockey IQ gives him opportunities on offense and defense that never materialize for other players.

And while I agree with your point (as I mentioned above), I think another distinguishing characteristic of Sid's game is his tenacity and strength on the puck. For instance, he's not as fast as McDavid, yet Sid can stick-handle with quickness and elusiveness that prevents anyone (including a bigger, faster player such as McDavid as we saw in the game on Wednesday) from separating him from the puck.

I believe McDavid has the physical tools to become perhaps the best player of all-time (with apologies to Wayne), whether he will have the obsessive work ethic of Sid, and Wayne's good fortune with health in order to achieve that status remains to be seen.
Sidney Crosby's a winner. That's the difference.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 02-17-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
The first big mistake the Oilers made was drafting Yakupov, when they could have/should have moved that pick for some players and prospects. The next disaster was giving up two first round picks for Griffin Reinhart, who will never play in the NHL, ever. Others include signing Sekera to that contract, signing Russell to his contract, the Lucic deal.. Mind-boggling how many bad moves the Oilers have made, and continue to make, with the Koskinen signing, prior to Chiarelli's departure. The worst managed organization in the league - yes, even worse than the Senators. Brining in Mark Hunter or Kelly Mccrimmon as next GM, and maybe Queenville as head coach, might help. But they are so screwed.

Incidentally, my Flames get a nice win in Pittsburgh, 5-4. The game started 11am Calgary time. Pretty cool. Always loved the matinee games.
You've given a good listing of many of the Edmonton's faux pas moves, but the one that you didn't list is the one that stands out to me as the most egregious: Trading Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. That is really bad asset management.

Congrats to your Flames on a hard earned win! I really enjoyed that one! Some great hockey on display, and lots of drama as the game came to an end. I think even casual fans would have enjoyed the game!

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-17-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:

I was shaking my head when the Oilers signed Lucic. Way too much money for him.

It's all about having the right guy in the GM position, and the right owner to let the GM do their job. Then it's the coach's job to get the day to day activities done. Miss one of those pieces and a team is in trouble.

Bruins won last night. Now 7 points up on Montreal and they just leapfrogged Toronto for second spot in the conference (tied with Islanders).
Old 02-17-2019, 07:04 AM

I mentioned this a few weeks ago. Here's the update. Crosby / Malkin / Kessel all have between 59 and 69 points BUT their plus/minus is as follows: +18, -19, -17. I don't understand how three stars on a team can have such a discrepancy. Does Malkin need to take a week off and rest?

Pens are just 1 point out of a playoff spot but need to start winning some games.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I mentioned this a few weeks ago. Here's the update. Crosby / Malkin / Kessel all have between 59 and 69 points BUT their plus/minus is as follows: +18, -19, -17. I don't understand how three stars on a team can have such a discrepancy. Does Malkin need to take a week off and rest?

Pens are just 1 point out of a playoff spot but need to start winning some games.
Malkin has some sort of nagging head/neck injury. That’s why he went off and swung his stick at another player during the Flyers game and got that one game suspension. Before that he was saying he was having confidence problems. As for Kessel, he’s just another head case who has been one dimensional.

Sully has been toying with the lines all season looking for chemistry. I have a feeling that once Malkin figures out his game the team will rally into the home stretch.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Malkin has some sort of nagging head/neck injury. That’s why he went off and swung his stick at another player during the Flyers game and got that one game suspension. Before that he was saying he was having confidence problems. As for Kessel, he’s just another head case who has been one dimensional.

Sully has been toying with the lines all season looking for chemistry. I have a feeling that once Malkin figures out his game the team will rally into the home stretch.
Ever since Kessel got trade to the Pens, I thought he was the luckiest guy in the NHL. Big contract (overpaid), playing with Cup contenders every year, and when things don't go well with the team he's not the main, or secondary focal point (like he was in Toronto).

Perhaps the Pens should rest Malkin.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You've given a good listing of many of the Edmonton's faux pas moves, but the one that you didn't list is the one that stands out to me as the most egregious: Trading Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. That is really bad asset management.

Congrats to your Flames on a hard earned win! I really enjoyed that one! Some great hockey on display, and lots of drama as the game came to an end. I think even casual fans would have enjoyed the game!
Yep. The Hall trade was another "howler". But there were, and still are rumours these young guys like to party, especially when they are on the road. I just heard this about the team, early last week. Whether "fact, or fiction", I can't say.

Lesser bumbles - trading Strome for Spooner; bringing in Brendan Manning for fan favourite Caggiula.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 02-17-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Yep. The Hall trade was another "howler". But there were, and still are rumours these young guys like to party, especially when they are on the road. I just heard this about the team, early last week. Whether "fact, or fiction", I can't say.

Lesser bumbles - trading Strome for Spooner; bringing in Brendan Manning for fan favourite Caggiula.
I think Hall had become complacent in Edmonton. It's one of those things were Edmonton needed to do something, had lots of scorers, and needed defense. It just turns out that Hall ended up that he ended up with the Hart in NJ. Sometimes guys need a kick in the butt to get going.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:

In fairness to Malkin (and to a lesser extent Kessel), Sid has had the benefit of having the Pens top defensive pairing on the ice with his line a lot more often than Malkin has, which accounts for a significant amount of the difference in the plus/minus stat. In the past, Malkin's had Justin Schultz as his top puck-moving defenseman at even strength. This season Schultz has been out since the fourth game of the season until the past two games. Schultz' replacements have largely been ineffective as creative puck-movers and scorers. It's no coincidence that Malkin's past two games, which coincides with Schultz' return, have been his best since October.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24

Last edited by catdaddy; 02-18-2019 at 11:20 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic