The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-26-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeTone View Post
I just got done checking mine and I noticed after years of playing with a strap on, I have discoloration around the end hole, probably caused by sweat and never cleaned properly. This isn't my main unit, rather it is my beater that I also let friends use, or who ever shows up so over the years it has seen a lot of action. I tried several kinds of cleaner, but nothing will touch the discoloration. I wonder if there is any kind of bleach especially made for removing stains in that area.
I don't think bleach is going to do it for you; once the stains are there then you need to look at some pretty severe treatments. I suggest you use a round file and work it fairly vigorously around the hole. Keep an eye on what you are doing - you don't want the hole to lose its roundness - but you do want to get a nice, clean surface back. It might be useful to get a friend to watch because they can get close in for a very good view, just to let you know when to stop.

A word of warning: don't be tempted to go down the route of power tools in this area; it's a step too far in my view. Hand tools might take a bit longer but you'll get a better finish in the long run.

Finally, once you've cleaned up the hole as best you can, consider some protective finishing before you put the strap on. Hand-rubbed oil is my personal preference, but you might prefer something else. The main thing is to stop any further bacterial penetration, otherwise you can end up with fungal problems deep in the wood and nobody wants that.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 AM

I just got done looking at it again, and you know, who really cares about a bit of staining. It's not like anyone is going to turn it upside down and complain about some discoloration. At my age, I just don't have the interest in replacing something simply because it is worn out.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:12 AM

Certainly, I can see your point Tube Tone....perhaps just a bit of soap and water, maybe some anti-fungal as suggested and quit letting your friends play with the strap on.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb View Post
Certainly, I can see your point Tube Tone....perhaps just a bit of soap and water, maybe some anti-fungal as suggested and quit letting your friends play with the strap on.

If you can't/don/t won/t play with a strap on, you won't be able to move around. It get boring just sitting all night.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeTone View Post
If you can't/don/t won/t play with a strap on, you won't be able to move around. It get boring just sitting all night.
True enough..then< i'd suggest you go ahead and have your hole reamed for a larger plug so you and your pals can play with it.

Were it me, I'd overlook the dark stains....call it "history".
Old 02-27-2010, 09:48 AM

Actually I think a little staining kind of adds character to the body of the instrument. Shows that she has been played hard, and as we all know, nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:26 PM

Thinking outside the square...Once when faced with the problem of the pin falling out..I installed it from they inside which fixed the problem,and my pin never fell out again....It did however fall in quite a bit..

B@
martin d16
big baby(my wifes)
vox amp
Epi ej200
Blueridge BR163
Blueridge BR73
Old 02-28-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Thinking outside the square...Once when faced with the problem of the pin falling out..I installed it from they inside which fixed the problem,and my pin never fell out again....It did however fall in quite a bit..

B@

..strap a 2x4 on it ,didya?

A friend in Georgia says there is no age at which they are disposable..we do what we must.

Maybe he's on to something....
Old 02-28-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsamuel View Post
Don't glue it.

When I have had that problem, I have wrapped the end pin with white Teflon plumbers tape to make it a tight fit.

Jim
I've done that and it works quite well. I've also given a coat or two of super glue (cyanoacrylate) and let it dry. That will increase the diameter of the tapered pin enough to make it hold when tapped into place. I don't glue them in. I also don't like to have them sticking out. If the guitar should be dropped on one that is protruding, it would crack the tail block.

If they protrude, I work them down with wet or dry paper and, once they are in far enough, then I use the tape or super glue method. I've done all of mine that way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair