The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-27-2020, 09:49 PM

Two of the things that give me the most fun and enjoyment in life is playing guitar and riding motorcycles...

I guess I'm just wired in the way that anything I do for personal enjoyment and fullfillment doesn't keep me up at night consumed with it...

I do, however, wake up most mornings ready to do and enjoy those favorite things again...
Old 02-28-2020, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

When a song is coming through me and I'm obsessed with it, falling asleep gets harder. I'll happily give up some sleep for a good song.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-28-2020, 06:57 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Watching videos on a computer or playing video games right before bed will keep you awake.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-29-2020, 09:23 AM

I think we fire up our brains when playing music, more so if the piece is new. I just accept that my brain just won't shut down until it's ready to. Oddly, I hardly ever lose sleep over newly created material. In fact it's often a battle to remember my new stuff the morning after. I've been retired almost 4 years but still dream about work situations maybe once per week. Not sure that's normal. Getting up and walking around, reading in the bathroom, staying in bed but praying or mentally practicing scales, all work...if the brain runs out of go-go. All part of life my fellow players.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:11 AM

Consider doing this as a project, not at "overnight" effort.

1. Memorize and be able to hum/whistle/sing the melody before you attempt to learn to play a tune.

2. Work on one tune at a time. Play everything slowly.

3. Learn one phrase or several measures at a time. Play the new measures repeatedly several times. Then play the tune starting at the beginning and include the measures you are learning. Repeat the effort 6-12 times. You gradually add what you learn to what you have already learned to play.

4. Play slowly. Do not include ornamentation (i.e. hammer-ons, slides, etc..) until you can play the complete tune without any problem. Remember - one problem at a time.

5. You can now start developing speed.

You play for enjoyment. Unless you are a professional, do not allow practicing to dominate your playing time. Practice your new tune before you begin playing the tunes you already know. That will allow you to gradually learn to play a complete tune and warm up before playing tunes you already know how to play.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupper View Post
Consider doing this as a project, not at "overnight" effort.

1. Memorize and be able to hum/whistle/sing the melody before you attempt to learn to play a tune.

2. Work on one tune at a time. Play everything slowly.

3. Learn one phrase or several measures at a time. Play the new measures repeatedly several times. Then play the tune starting at the beginning and include the measures you are learning. Repeat the effort 6-12 times. You gradually add what you learn to what you have already learned to play.

4. Play slowly. Do not include ornamentation (i.e. hammer-ons, slides, etc..) until you can play the complete tune without any problem. Remember - one problem at a time.

5. You can now start developing speed.

You play for enjoyment. Unless you are a professional, do not allow practicing to dominate your playing time. Practice your new tune before you begin playing the tunes you already know. That will allow you to gradually learn to play a complete tune and warm up before playing tunes you already know how to play.

Thanks - interesting thoughts.

I tend to self limit to 2 pieces concurrently in order to avoid burnout - this is because that is all I play and practice. Once I have learnt a piece to the level I can record it, I tend to move on to another.

I do follow your thinking in the main and this tends to be my approach.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 03-10-2020, 06:50 AM

I have a list of 8 -10 new tunes on a list that I chip away at until I have them down solid. The number doesn't affect me. It's the excitement and joy from playing just one or two tunes that carries over, and even then it's not often that it affects me sleep.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
I have a list of 8 -10 new tunes on a list that I chip away at until I have them down solid. The number doesn't affect me. It's the excitement and joy from playing just one or two tunes that carries over, and even then it's not often that it affects me sleep.

Interesting - I find that any more than 2 new pieces at a time and I can’t make enough headway to keep me focused.

With 1 or 2 new and maybe one or two at a later stage (I can play them without the music in front of me but need to work on the flow or tone etc) I can keep all moving forwards and retain an interest and excitement in feeling some daily improvement.

Limited mental capacity for focus..

Old 03-10-2020, 06:11 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Interesting - I find that any more than 2 new pieces at a time and I can’t make enough headway to keep me focused.

With 1 or 2 new and maybe one or two at a later stage (I can play them without the music in front of me but need to work on the flow or tone etc) I can keep all moving forwards and retain an interest and excitement in feeling some daily improvement.

Limited mental capacity for focus..
I'm the same. I'll work on usually just one heavily and a second for basics or review depending on where I am with it. I get better results keeping the fires down to a minimum.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-17-2020, 12:35 PM

Regarding music and sleep:

Yes, I'll be kept awake for quite a while when I have a new song to gig with, or even learn, that I'm excited about. I just can't keep it from going through my head.

On the other side of the coin, I'm amazed at what an almost instant sleep-inducer it is for me to listen to my own phone-recorded scraps of original ideas (almost always acoustic guitar). Puts me to sleep incredibly fast -- and I have no idea why....

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-17-2020, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

I have had this happen, the music stuck in my head as I try to fall asleep. It's an old and ongoing problem for me, too.

I learned some time ago to read before falling asleep. My mind seems to go inside of the book and that takes my mind off the music. Then suddenly I get so sleepy, I have to put the book down and take off my glasses. Then I can fall asleep.

Take care Wrighty!

- Glenn
Old 03-18-2020, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have had this happen, the music stuck in my head as I try to fall asleep. It's an old and ongoing problem for me, too.

I learned some time ago to read before falling asleep. My mind seems to go inside of the book and that takes my mind off the music. Then suddenly I get so sleepy, I have to put the book down and take off my glasses. Then I can fall asleep.

Take care Wrighty!

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn - the joys of learning new pieces!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write