The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
I own a Larrivee L09 with 1 3/4 nut and use it almost exclusively for finger style. Can't beat the tone of a Larrivee. The only negative is they have a very flat fingerboard radius making it a little harder to play. My guitar is just awesome when tuned to C or G for some of those beautiful celtic tunes.
First, the older flatter fingerboard makes it easier to play, not harder.

Second, Larrivee changed to a non-tapered 16" radius fingerboard in October of 2018. (copying Martin and the majority of the market)

I'd have no problem buying an OM-40, OM-40R, or OM-40W sight unseen.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-16-2020, 10:55 PM

I bought an OM-40R from Shoreline last year before the sell-off. I also ordered an OM-40 (hog) from Musicians Friend around the same time. Kept the rosewood model; it is an outstanding instrument and a great value. I've owned several Taylors and had to sell my custom 2002 810C (Englemann Spruce) a few years ago due to some financial issues. I can honestly say that I am not missing the Taylors. The OM-40 sounds amazing, plays amazing...I mean it really does. I love the feel and can fret and chord better up and down the neck. Chords and notes ring out clearer and have a pure sound. Dig the satin finish (vs. gloss) which I believe allows the guitar to vibrate more and ring out. Also, the herring bone purfling is a nice touch. Perfect size, very comfortable under the arms. And the neck is one piece from heel to headstock...don't see that often these days. I just changed out the stock bone saddle and composite pins for an aged bone saddle and matching pins from Bob Colosi and put a set of John Pearse PB New Mediums on. Wow, really an inspiring guitar to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion