The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Martin Vs Taylor Dreadnought
Martin 50 69.44%
Taylor 22 30.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2020, 04:15 PM

Arrow Old Topic, Martin Vs Taylor. If you are indecisive come here

Martin HD-35: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJaBxMdT8TQ

Taylor 810E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w43Z3vSRbo

If you're still not sure which sound to go for these 2 videos should be able to give you what you need or want to know about the "Martin sound" and "Taylor sound". I chose the HD-35 instead of D-28 as a Standard model of Martin because it has 1/4 scalloped and it really shows how a Martin sounds like to someone that never heard of the sound before. It's like a D-28 with more season in it. Both of them are at the same price range. If you ask me the Taylor has pickup system, it's a steal deal if you need it and like the Taylor sound

What I heard from the 2 guitar:

Martin
pros: very vintage tone, super balanced guitar, and I can tell why it's perfect to play bluegrass for lots of people. the strumming part is very punchy. a lot of bass response. The sound is very mellow with vintage tone when fingerpicking. I asked some girls and they said it sounds calmer. Have more Square looking shoulder

Cons: The notes blends too well plus lots of bass response makes it muddy for hard strumming. I'm sure you'll hear it. But that's the point, that's how a martin sounds like. the bass dominates treble.
You should try a D-41 or D-45 if it becomes a problem for you, less muddy imo.

Taylor:
pros: Very modern sound due to the sparkle and bright sound. It shows the very metallic sound of EIR. Less bass response than Martin but it's there and very articulate, the treble too. It produces sparkle and romantic sound when fingerpicking, I asked some girls around and they described it as warmer tones. Strumming part is very articulate, clear notes. A tiny bit round shoulder and more bling looking due to the line, very finesse

cons: strumming will not produce as much power as the martin, the treble is brighter so it sometimes dominates the bass.

Both are great guitar, I would say for Bluegrass or flatpicking Martin will be the winner to my ear as it's very boomy. But the Taylor can get the job done very well and better at other things. To my ear this 810E actually warmer in the "bright taylor sound" way. I like both of them. Let me know what side do you go for in this eternal fight .

Summary: my opinion from what I heard is pretty much the samething of what have been discussed. Martin is more vintage with more bass, can be come muddy. Girls described it as calmer. Taylor is modern sound with more articulate notes and sparkle sound. Girls described it as warmer. Martin dreadnought is more popular since they have more choices out there compare to what Taylor has and vice versa to the GA or OM body

Last edited by Rinaz; 06-15-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

The HD-35 is the single muddiest sounding guitar Martins ever made. 1/4” scalloped bracing on a dreadnought? They didn’t even do that on prewar OMs!

No one’s on the fence on this one; the difference is so dramatic.

Get an HD-28 or a good D-18, and never look back.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
The HD-35 is the single muddiest sounding guitar Martins ever made. 1/4” scalloped bracing on a dreadnought? They didn’t even do that on prewar OMs!

No one’s on the fence on this one; the difference is so dramatic.

Get an HD-28 or a good D-18, and never look back.
The D18 is less muddy for sure but the HD-28, pretty much the same. Another one to consider is D-28 Authentic 1937 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgyNTqqJ3xk

It's less muddy, more articulate but for sure, less boomy bass (still plenty of it). I'm feeling like this is a trade off on Martin guitars. Other brands do the samething too. But Martin has lots of options on Dreadnought so we can hear it pretty clear
Old 06-15-2020, 11:44 PM

I prefer the D-35 over of the HD-35.

I think the strait bracing tightens thing up a bit compared to the bracing on the HD-35.

Besides, my D-35 is the bomb!

Old 06-16-2020, 12:21 AM

I didn't vote because the full line of neither brand is my preference.

For entry level models, I strongly prefer Taylor over Martin.
For high end models, I strongly prefer Martin over Taylor.

For me, the competition at both price points is not even close.
It's a landslide for each brand.

This is reflected in what I've bought.

Last edited by Tico; 06-16-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I didn't vote because the full line of neither brand is my preference.

For entry level models, I strongly prefer Taylor over Martin.
For high end models, I strongly prefer Martin over Taylor.

For me, the competition at both price points is not even close.
It's a landslide for each brand.

This is reflected in what I've bought.
There are lots of options if one wants to buy a Martin Dreadnought. But for The GA size Taylor has more options. Both are good. I wouldn’t choose a Taylor Dreads over a Martin unless I want the Taylor sound because Martin has lots of Dreads and I’m sure I can find a killing one. D18, d28, hd28, d28 or hd28 torrified top, d41-45 you name it

Anyway, I noticed if there is an H in the model name it’s likely to bassy and muddy for Martin guitar
Old 06-16-2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinaz View Post
... Anyway, I noticed if there is an H in the model name it’s likely to bassy and muddy for Martin guitar
You may want to rephrase that, "... too muddy for you ..."

Many love the Historic Martins.
I do, and recently bought a 2001 HD-28.

Noticed how my post didn't state my opinion/preferences as fact?
Old 06-16-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
You may want to rephrase that, "... too muddy for you ..."

Many love the Historic Martins.
I do, and recently bought a 2001 HD-28.

Noticed how my post didn't state my opinion/preferences as fact?
I used to love the Hd28 until I played it for a while and the bass got to me plus the 1 11/16 nut didnt do it for me. So yeah it’s muddy for me now . It’s all preference anyway. I’ll try a martin again one day
Old 06-16-2020, 01:08 AM

Agreed, it's all preference.
Buy whatever you love.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:35 AM

You need to hang around bluegrassers. I have never seen a 35 Martin model used by serious bluegrassers. Not that it cannot happen but it is rare as they are considered boomy/woofy. Ya that 1/4in bracing is to blame. 28s and 18s all day long for b-grass. I have actually seen more b-grassers using old x braced Taylors than Martin 35s. So if you are confused about whether to buy a Martin or Taylor you might still be confused given the conclusions here.

Last edited by Scotso; 06-16-2020 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:24 AM

Depends on the sound you want. If youre a bluegrasser its Martin. For other applications I think Taylor is a better choice.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinaz View Post
The D18 is less muddy for sure but the HD-28, pretty much the same. Another one to consider is D-28 Authentic 1937 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgyNTqqJ3xk

It's less muddy, more articulate but for sure, less boomy bass (still plenty of it). I'm feeling like this is a trade off on Martin guitars. Other brands do the samething too. But Martin has lots of options on Dreadnought so we can hear it pretty clear
I do think the scalloping affects the tone more dramatically than bracing width in this case. After playing many examples, my ears tell me the spectrum from bassy/warm/lush to crisp/fundamental (for these standard series guitars) goes:

HD-35 -> HD-28 -> D-35 -> D-28
Old 06-16-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

My problem is trying to decide between a D-35 and a D-41, and is the extra money worth it for the D-41? I'm thinking yes it is, but am still undecided.

This thread is helpful to me, even if I am off topic.

Back on topic.

I have to agree with Tico. In the higher end lines, Taylor doesn't compare to Martin...It is just my opinion, though, and it all depends on what we need from a guitar.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
You need to hang around bluegrassers. I have never seen a 35 Martin model used by serious bluegrassers. Not that it cannot happen but it is rare as they are considered boomy/woofy. Ya that 1/4in bracing is to blame. 28s and 18s all day long for b-grass. I have actually seen more b-grassers using old x braced Taylors than Martin 35s. So if you are confused about whether to buy a Martin or Taylor you might still be confused given the conclusions here.
Really want to see more Taylor in bluegrass to see how it goes. Taylor needs to keep old bracing option. They have cv bracing with relief rout, standard II, x bracing with relief rout, v bracing etc. they always stop producing old ones whenever they release new bracing.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
My problem is trying to decide between a D-35 and a D-41, and is the extra money worth it for the D-41? I'm thinking yes it is, but am still undecided.

This thread is helpful to me, even if I am off topic.

Back on topic.

I have to agree with Tico. In the higher end lines, Taylor doesn't compare to Martin...It is just my opinion, though, and it all depends on what we need from a guitar.
You may want to watch this d41 video to compare the Hd35. The same player with record stuff.

https://youtu.be/VHlJnpHP_Uk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion