The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2017, 04:58 PM

To me, that's the mark of a great box though. You should be able to play it a lot of different ways, loud or soft, light touch or digging in.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I joined the Froggy Bottom club just moments ago! H12 Dlx is coming my way from Gryphon. Now that I have the trifecta of guitars that I've lusted after for the last few years (Collings DS, Bourgeois DS, and Froggy H) I'll never need another guitar again! (lololol right ) ....
Good one. I'll look forward to your NGD soon.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I currently own 3 of them. One OM size, one slope shoulder dread (mahogany and spruce) and a 0000 grand auditorium sized F-14. FB make the best guitars I have ever played anywhere. I also owned 2 smaller models. A model "L" and a "P-12" both were unbelievable fingerstyle guitars. I simply do not have the fingerstyle talent to justify owning those 2 guitars. I am now strictly 000/OM or bigger only.

They are very special although you will find some people like GoodallBoy who do not like them.

When I first picked up my First Frog, it was almost a spiritual event. I could not believe the sound that came out of that thing.

So, I kinda like them. I am a fanboy
Old 01-30-2017, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
When I first picked up my First Frog, it was almost a spiritual event. I could not believe the sound that came out of that thing.
Great, now you're going to have me watching the tracking number and looking out the window like a dog as I wait for the fedex truck to show up this week.

Honestly though, as a long-time tone junkie who made a full-time business out of his obsession for tinkering with music gear, I'm eagerly looking forward to discovering what this "magic" is that seems to be so often used to describe Froggys.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Great, now you're going to have me watching the tracking number and looking out the window like a dog as I wait for the fedex truck to show up this week.

Honestly though, as a long-time tone junkie who made a full-time business out of his obsession for tinkering with music gear, I'm eagerly looking forward to discovering what this "magic" is that seems to be so often used to describe Froggys.
Tone junkie, huh? Me too. I like Pearse PB's (.12) on my H12. If you want to crank the sustain and overtones up to "11", throw a set of DR Sunbeams (.12) on and buckle your seatbelt.

Remember the H12 is braced for light strings... no mediums (.13).
Old 01-30-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
At this point having played only a few models, I'm not as impressed with them as I thought I would be.
Since this isn't meant as a detraction from their excellent reputation, I'll chalk it up to having perhaps an unrealistic expectation and not hitting upon the right Froggy.
I had somewhat the same experience as you. Although I had my sights set on a D-28 Authentic I was trying some other high end builds to make sure that is the way I wanted to go.
I admit I didn't give the FB dread a lot of time. But nothing about it grabbed me in any profound way.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Congrats on the H12.

If you're interested in Froggy magic, you might have a listen to what Millard has to say about making his guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTYNF7TnGmc
Old 01-30-2017, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

And for variety and range here's one of my favorites where Michael hands off the first (I believe) Will Ackerman K to Will. It's a fine demonstration of a gifted player playing an amazing instrument.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

I'll join the chorus of "magic"-sayers. Thanks to good fortune and the graciousness of a AGF seller, I got an H12 Deluxe (2000) a few months ago and the guitar is simply a joy to play. My skill level is nowhere near reaching what it's capable of doing, but it's being patient with me. It often feels like it's literally alive....it's got a potency to it, like the notes are pent up and just spring out of the guitar with as much force or gentleness as you're capable of bringing to it.

I started years ago with a Seagull, and have had a Guild D55, F50R, Gibson J45, Martin HD28V and they all now reside only in my photos folder. I don't imagine the H12 is ever going anywhere other than to my better level of playing. I feel very fortunate. Best wishes for you and yours
Old 01-30-2017, 07:54 PM

My A12 - just turned 20 - does not suck.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:18 PM

[QUOTE=zeboma;5213125]I'll join the chorus of "magic". My skill level is nowhere near reaching what it's capable of doing, but it's being patient with me. It often feels like it's literally alive....it's got a potency to it, like the notes are pent up and just spring out of the guitar with as much force or gentleness as you're capable of bringing to it.

Wow, that's the best way I've ever read of describing how a guitar plays and what it's capable of,,,well done zeboma!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeboma View Post
....it's got a potency to it, like the notes are pent up and just spring out of the guitar with as much force or gentleness as you're capable of bringing to it.
Yeah -- that is good. It's also what Millard says about building guitars under tension.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

First heard about and layed my first Froggy Bottom guitars in Vermont, winter of '76... there was a duo that played up and down the East Coast who were tremendous musicians, and they each played a Froggy Bottom guitar... John Danderand and Chris Cleeman.

when I went back to visit my brother in the early 90's, Chris was kind enough to loan me one of his Froggys, so I got to play it, live with it for a week or so. Was a very gracious act on his part, and I enjoyed the chance to sit with a Froggy Bottom guitar for more than a few minutes.

My impression is that they are VERY well built instruments with a sound that seems characteristic to Michael Millard's style of lutherie... somewhere between a Goodall and a really good Martin, I'd guess...

You don't hear of many folks who "don't like" Froggy Bottom guitars... that says a lot, in and of itself.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 PM

Froggy Bottom guitars really reset my expectations of what to hope and dream for in a boutique guitar. I own two - a P12 and a H12. They are sublime. One of the things I've always found interesting is how often the term "magical" comes up when people are describing Frogs. I remember the first time I heard a Frog strummed... it sounded like a chorus of angels was singing. OK, I've got goosebumps now!
Old 01-31-2017, 01:11 AM

Exactly, that's what you should hear when you play a great guitar! If it can't do two thirds of what I like, it's not even considered.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion