The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-13-2020, 07:52 PM

Doc just prescribed Diclofenac Sodium cream for my arthritic fingers. Hope it helps. Been playing since late 1960's. I'm 67 now, I think if I stop playing that might be it, so I'm still playing for shorter periods, tuning 1/2 step down, etc. I think if I keep playing in moderation I'll be ok. My best years were yesteryear, but I still enjoy playing.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
So the other night I found a GP file of Classical Gas, so I grabbed my classical to give it a try...

A tune that I tore up as a young man (I'm now 65) had me fumbling and playing something that sounded unrecognizable by human ears

I guess I could just practice it, but for now I'm blaming the gray hairs....
So glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'm 66y. Classical Gas not an easy pierce to learn, I have been working on it also.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

A few months from 78. The voice is still good.

There were many years of hiatus for the left hand -- a bad break that shortened the middle finger, and two operations on the pinky tendons. So the left hand does not play like it did. But though the right hand is a little slower than when young, it has grown more versatile at thumb picking and finger style.

The big discovery was flat picking, which I avoided for 50 years because I didn't like the sound of carter licks and strumming in general. But complex picking on Youtube gave me ear worms and now that is more interesting to learn and play than finger picking. Overall I am better now than when I was young.

Last edited by vintage40s; 06-16-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:53 AM

At 62, I'm better than I've ever been (probably attributed mostly to not having been that good before)!

I'm still improving, but I'm sure the time will come when something changes. Until then, I'll keep working somewhat diligently at becoming a better player.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:03 AM

Bob Wood is playing great in this video.

Old 06-16-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
So the other night I found a GP file of Classical Gas, so I grabbed my classical to give it a try...

A tune that I tore up as a young man (I'm now 65) had me fumbling and playing something that sounded unrecognizable by human ears

I guess I could just practice it, but for now I'm blaming the gray hairs....
I'm now 66y, I get frustrated with the amount of repetition I need before learning a new piece sticks in my brain.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:49 PM

Just wait until you're 74 like me...
Old 06-16-2020, 04:28 PM

Nowhere near the strength and flexibility I once had. I never was a functional musician by what I'd call a fair definition, but I now call myself a "composer"--and have spent time exploring some colors and timbres that I hadn't used before. And I've returned to a disorganized but interesting study of some kinds of compositional theory that I abandoned in my 20s.

Bottom line: my 30 year old and 50 year old self could do things I can't consistently do now. My current self, a few decades on, can do things they couldn't.

Eventually it'll all go into the big trash bin. That's the nature of life. I'm just working at doing the most with what I have available to me now for as long as now is.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-16-2020, 06:07 PM

I’m going to be 63 next month, and while I was never great to begin with, I’m just getting back into playing again after a couple years hiatus and don’t know what to expect. I had major rotator cuff surgery in my right shoulder, have cervical disk problems that cause tingling in my left arm, and may affect how I can use the fretboard. But, I’ll do the best I can. I guess we’re all in good company with each other.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:27 PM

57 here. My playing technique has definitely slipped, partly due to my right index finger being slow. I have adapted with a hybrid technique to sort of compensate. My sight reading has improved lots as I have worked on that, but being able to memorize is harder than when I was younger. I am thankful and blessed to still enjoy.

Last edited by mtdmind; 06-16-2020 at 11:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion