The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Martin Vs Taylor Dreadnought
Martin 50 69.44%
Taylor 22 30.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2020, 09:22 AM

I prefer the Martin in this comparison, but would prefer it even more if it were mahogany. The D-35 smushes everything together too much for me. I prefer a more direct sound where everyone seems to want overtones like crazy.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:28 PM

I have what I consider the best of both worlds - Martin sound from a Taylor style guitar, my Martin GPCPA1 bought in 2011 when they came out. My go to guitar for gigging and for playing unplugged ever since, despite others coming and going.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinaz View Post
M

Martin
pros: very vintage tone, super balanced guitar, and I can tell why it's perfect to play bluegrass for lots of people. the strumming part is very punchy. a lot of bass response. The sound is very mellow with vintage tone when fingerpicking. I asked some girls and they said it sounds calmer. Have more Square looking shoulder

Cons: The notes blends too well plus lots of bass response makes it muddy for hard strumming. ...

Taylor:
pros: Very modern sound due to the sparkle and bright sound. It shows the very metallic sound of EIR. Less bass response than Martin but it's there and very articulate, the treble too. It produces sparkle and romantic sound when fingerpicking, I asked some girls around and they described it as warmer tones. Strumming part is very articulate, clear notes. A tiny bit round shoulder and more bling looking due to the line, very finesse

cons: strumming will not produce as much power as the martin, the treble is brighter so it sometimes dominates the bass.

Both are great guitar, I would say for Bluegrass or flatpicking Martin will be the winner to my ear as it's very boomy. But the Taylor can get the job done very well and better at other things. To my ear this 810E actually warmer in the "bright taylor sound" way. I like both of them. Let me know what side do you go for in this eternal fight .

Summary: my opinion from what I heard is pretty much the samething of what have been discussed. Martin is more vintage with more bass, can be come muddy. Girls described it as calmer. Taylor is modern sound with more articulate notes and sparkle sound. Girls described it as warmer. Martin dreadnought is more popular since they have more choices out there compare to what Taylor has and vice versa to the GA or OM body
I don't know what kind of speakers you're listening with, but I heard exactly the opposite in terms of bass. I found the Taylor to have more bass and an expanded tonal palette with the Martin having less bass.

I've played both and find that what I heard on the recording is true to what I heard live. In fact, I let an 810 slip through my fingers and ultimately ended up with a 910, but think I still wish that 810 were available. The Martin is a fine guitar with the HD35 sitting between the D35 and D28.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-16-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I don't know what kind of speakers you're listening with, but I heard exactly the opposite in terms of bass. I found the Taylor to have more bass and an expanded tonal palette with the Martin having less bass.

I've played both and find that what I heard on the recording is true to what I heard live. In fact, I let an 810 slip through my fingers and ultimately ended up with a 910, but think I still wish that 810 were available. The Martin is a fine guitar with the HD35 sitting between the D35 and D28.
I read your comment and listened to them again and it’s true. Maybe I heard it wrong because of the bright sound from the Taylor? Like the bass is bright and separated so it makes me feel like less bassy? It’s actually very articulate and powerful.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
The Martin is a fine guitar with the HD35 sitting between the D35 and D28.
If this is referring to tone, it makes zero sense.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
If this is referring to tone, it makes zero sense.
That's kind of insulting. I'm sure you can find a kinder and more cogent way to make your point.

The D35 has scooped mids and is very warm. The D28 has more prominent mids, subtle highs and warm, but not quite as warm as the the HD28. The HD35 sits somewhere in the middle with a good balance, warmer than the D28 and highs that are quite similar to Taylor.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion